NOTICE: Replying to FS Threads

Do not reply to For Sale threads UNLESS you are directly interested in the product.
Posts such as ‘sick car’ or ‘looks clean’ or ‘wicked deal’ or ‘id buy it if i had the money’ will result in suspension.
Posts that are off topic will result in suspension.
Posts that are intended to start shit will result in a ban.

Get it?

The point of is to enhance fairness to everyone as much as possible.

If people are allowed to chat in for sale threads, a number of things end up happening.

1. Those guys who have more friends on SON will get more bumps because they can recruit their friends to vouch for their car and how “clean” it is.

2. Someone replying ‘this car is clean!!’ or ‘sickk deal’ doesn’t mean jack shit. First of all, people have different standards of cleanliness. Second, as mentioned above, the comments aren’t always impartial - and they’re certainly not informative. Telling everyone ‘clean car, i’d buy it if i had the money’ is not helping anyone.

3. If one thread gets lots of unnecessary replies, it gets bumped all the time, which is detrimental to other people’s FS threads. Why should someone else’s thread, which doesn’t happen to have a lot of chatting, be pushed back?

The fairest result is not allowing any irrelevent talk in FS threads.

If you aren’t interested in the item, DO NOT POST. Simple enough?

I let some exceptions by sometimes when there is RELEVANT or IMPORTANT or DETAILED information as to the nature or condition of the product, particularly when it is a car. But that’s exactly what they are, exceptions.

Make sense?

no, nobody has complained about it specifically. i do get complaints from posters asking me to clean up their FS threads all the time. nobody wants to come to the thread, see 20 replies, only to realize they’re all meaningless.

another issue i didn’t mention is people taking everything one step too far. if we leave the posting unrestricted, it opens the potential for people to start posting more than just compliments.

do you suggest we only allow positive comments? that’s not very fair, either. some cars are shit. some cars are good.
it’s up to individuals to decide for themselves.

if they want to talk about it, or get the community’s opinion, theres another section for that called ‘car chat’. that is where discussion should take place, IMO.

When people have discussions in other peoples fs threads, i agree that’s very counterproductive and i think every seller would be upset. But statements like sick car etc. aren’t meaningless to me at all. I think most people appreciate it.

I also understand people taking things too far, but i also think completely banning comments made in fs threads just loses the “community” feel of the forum. If someone posts in car chat saying something like "Hey guys check out my sweet crx dont have the pic, i for one would think something along the lines of wtf. So i don’t think it needs to be a problem in the fs section.

I am occasionally guilty of this; most recently I gave a Lachine Que. member a “+1 for a good seller” in his FS thread even though I was not interested, but moreso to vouch for an out of province member I have dealt with.

A unique example (out of province) I am hesitant myself to make mail purchases…

sorry mike

finally its said out loud like today when someone not mentioning names said
“sick car” another said right after sweet car mike replied keep talking i`ll keep handoing out bans another person then replied yeah mike a agree with you (not exact words) then put ban away while maybe you should get a big ban sure 10 day bans suck but people keep talking sh!t maybe they should be adjusted to longer or maybe even revoke there member ship no-body wants to have to pay $10 bucks again not a big deal but a hassel that will make people think twice about posting maybe give a 10 day ban with a warning stating we will revoke you member ship so they will have to dish out

Think you might have misunderstood kollo, but i dont really get what youre trying to say.

btw i have nothing against mike (spddmn) at all. We just discussed this issue and i guess we both wanted everyones input.

mike,

i don’t think that it would be a bad idea to post this as an announcement, that way it shows up in all sections as a general rule - that way there’s no excuses.

just a thought…

please use proper punctuation… or any

thanks for this massive, hard to read run on sentence.

EDIT: Mike can you also hand out bans for garbled crap like the above quoted post? you know, to encourage readable posts that don’t hurt the eyes

Just disable Posting in car chat for people who make retarded posts.

^^
Do you know how much time and effort in moderation that would take?

And it would just spread the bullshit, like pouring water on a grease fire… 'Cause then they’d start posting stupid shit on the other forums.

I would be willing to make the sacrifice… Grammar Police…

EDIT: or better yet just delete the post entirely and send a quote/PM with a WTF tag on it

there’s like a hundred other threads you can comment on and shoot the shit, and be a ‘community’ on SON… the FS section is and should stay strictly business. Buy and Sell that’s it.

if no one has complained so far, then im doing it now!
NO MORE CHATTING ON THE FOR SALE THREADS! please and thank you