Novice Bike: Ninja 250R - input/comments

No im not saying you cant break traction, i just dont see how its relevant here. All it takes is 1 good crash racing a car and your dead as well.

And stories like “I rode a 600 for a while and not crashed” arent’? :lol
We’re all subjective here.

So is every other opinion here :hug

Theres guy that will jump on a Busa and never wreck.

But theres also guys that will jump on a scooter and eat shit.

All on the rider

You’re catching on.

And it’s much easier to crash a bike then a car.

And the bigger bike you start out on, the more likely you are to crash.

Doesn’t mean you WILL, just means you’re at a higher risk.

Period.

Yes, its objective. Its a factual statement backed up by proof of me not falling off a 600cc bike…and being a beginner.

Yet
Plenty of other people did crash. Your experience is no more objective than theirs.

Nope, not the rider.

Risk management and the good ol’ probability.

Starting on a smaller bike makes you more likely to survive.

http://shift518.gom-host.com/showthread.php?t=11

Hypothetical:
I buy 2 bikes, an R1 and a 250R.

I use the bikes for nothing but law obiding reasons. Cruise around and drive like a sane person.

How is it any different on either bike if i have the same intentions for both?

R1 is less nimble, less forgiving.

People make mistakes, especially under pressure and machines malfunction and throttles get stuck.

Full throttle on 250 give you a giggle.

Full throttle on R1 gets you in trouble.

Grabbing first full of brake on 250 in a panic, just like the panic in a car situation when somebody pulls out in front of you… you slam your breaks…

On a 250 you slowdown or possibly lock up the front.

R1 you lock up the front.

If you’re going to be cruising around town… 250 has a much more comfortable position and better mileage.

Why on earth would you buy an R1 again for that purpose? So you can be “seen” on an R1?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_sportbikes_are_NOT_beginner_bikes_1
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_sportbikes_are_NOT_beginner_bikes_2
More or less summary of all the stuff we talked about here so far
(too small, I’ll grow into it, etc)

You guys want me to bring up the same argument we were having with Travis, and how he was saying that he started on a 600 and got away fine, and then posted about the accident next week when he locked up the front?

Some people prefer and like different bikes as others have said on here. Not about what other people like. I personally love the orange/black 1000 GSXRs.

Let me put it this way. On the 250R you have to almost TRY to get in trouble, figuratively speaking. On a 600, you have to TRY to NOT get in trouble.

Well thats Travis…LOL

I just dont get that mindset. I would get in more trouble with the 250R thinking im “invincable” and nothing can happen b/c its a 250. I would less likely get in trouble on the 600 b/c i respect it and know what its capable of.

Again, my opinion

Yes PREFERENCE is completely irrelevant when the OP asks about what’s a good bike to learn on.

I’d prefer to fly on an F22 raptor over a Cessna as well as the next guy, unfortunately logically it’s not smart.

Oh and for the record, keep in mind that in Europe you are mandated to start on a small CC and move up through the classes.

I’m sure there is some slight logic behind that.

Nobody LIKES to start out on an ugly, old, dated, carbed 250. It’s just the smarter way of doing it.

If you had the mindset of thinking you were invincible you would have bought a Busa, not the 250R.

And how do you know what a 600cc bike is capable of as a begginer rider?

Ive dipped into it a quite few times and know what the bike is capable of. Im not saying im a pro by any means.

I just see myself as someone who learns quickly and respects the machine im driving. I started with a V8 “muscle” car and was told by everyone, its too much for a 16yr old kid and your gonna crash it. Well 8 years later, and still NO crash in a vehicle ever, i say that i have proved the nay sayers wrong.