NYS Boating License question

Does anyone know what the fine is for being on a pwc without a nys license ??

Iv’e owned boats and jetski’s for years but haven’t got the license yet, and was thinking about finally completing the course soon if the fines are substantial. Honestly It just seems like a money grab to me… but thats IMO. I mean that fact that you can go out and rent a 40 foot boat without a license but need one for a pwc just sounds ridiculous to me.

It’s not really a money grab since lots of places offer the course for free and NY only charges $10 for the license that never expires. It’s basically just more nanny state NY bullshit to deal with so you can get a piece of paper that says you’re “safe” then proceed to ignore anything you were taught at the class if you’re the type of person who’s going to operate a watercraft like an asshole in the first place.

From NYboatingsafety.com

What will happen if I do not have a boating safety certificate?
If convicted of a first violation you can be fined not less than $25 or no more than $100, or by imprisonment for not more than seven days, or by both fine and imprisonment. For a second violation fines and imprisonment increase.

lol @ 7 days in jail for not having a fucking 8 hour course certificate. Fuck this state.

All the Buffalo courses are 65$… that I can find JayS

The course is a joke. And verrrrry boring. Regardless, it’s just a Saturday morning so you might as well just get it out of the way.

Ok, so maybe it is a money grab too. The site I was looking at said some charge and so offer it for free.

EDIT: There aren’t any free ones in Erie County that I saw, but a few in Niagara

Saturday, June 20, 2015
Barker Vol. Fire Co., 1660 Quaker Rd., Barker (Niagara)Tyler, Carey (716)438-3346This class is for adults and children, register at: NCSD@niagaracounty.comThere is no cost for this class. If you are 18 or older you will be required to pay NYS Parks a $10.00 fee for your boating safety certificate.- See more at: New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Saturday, July 18, 2015
Niagara Co. PSB, 5574 Niagara St. Ext., Lockport (Niagara)Tyler, Carey (716)438-3346This class is for adults and children, register at: NCSD@niagaracounty.comThere is no cost for this class. If you are 18 or older you will be required to pay NYS Parks a $10.00 fee for your boating safety certificate.- See more at: New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Saturday, August 22, 2015
Niagara Co. PSB, 5574 Niagara St. Ext., Lockport (Niagara)Tyler, Carey (716)438-3346This class is for adults and children, register at: NCSD@niagaracounty.comThere is no cost for this class. If you are 18 or older you will be required to pay NYS Parks a $10.00 fee for your boating safety certificate.- See more at: New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Red right return

same as operating a car without a license - except it also fuks your drivers license, and the license of owner of the boat who allowed you to operate the boat as well…they don’t F around.

You can do it online now. And only pay after you pass. The link in on the NYS DMV page.

Judging by all the bullshit I see when boating, they should require the license for anything with more than a 10hp outboard.

The problem is an 8 hour course isn’t going to change that.

I have mine, as do most of the people I ride with. However, I do know of a few people that made very nice copies of boating ‘licenses’ (the ones before they were legit cards), and get away with them again and again.

In fact, I once asked when I was stopped if they have any database to verify that I actually had my license in the event I was ever stopped and forgot it, and they said “no”.

That said, spend the few hours and do the course. If you go to the common areas - Isle view, Sunset, Woodlawn, etc. on a PWC, you WILL get stopped, probably once every time you’re out.

I have mine. I thought it was a worthwhile class but I had an interest in learning what means what.

If you’re concerned you could always borrow a friend’s license that is same gender/age range when you go out on a pwc.

you are over thinking this. The reason they say no more than 7 days in Jail is because it is a violation, which is the lowest type of … Violation for a lack of a better term. It’s non-criminal, unlock a misdemeanor or felony. By definition a violation is punishable by no more than 7 days in jail, so they are just using its ny definition. You would never actually get 7 days in jail, you just couldn’t get more than that by definition.

Link?

Scroll down to TOPIC NY Boater License and Safety Courses

• Updated - - -

Same with running a stop sign. Up to 7 days in jail.

Thanks!

No Problem.

@almostBrett I was in the same boat as you (pun intended) last year. I had experience for a few years but never a license. But depending on where you’re going to be there can be a lot of enforcement as was mentioned. So I went ahead and got it. It really was a painless experience and I learned a few things. The classes will have a broad age range of people in them and the test at the end is easy. You’ll walk out that day after the test with the license.

But a trick someone I know uses is to register their boat out of a different state that doesn’t require a license. This saves them from getting grief in NYS over not having the NYS boating license.

Yeah, it’s the same with every minor infraction. Violations are almost always appearance tickets though. It would have to be a pretty interesting situation to get arrested during a violation.

That’s probably true, but at least then I know they’re being an asshole and it’s not just ignorance.