NYS Inspection question

This has probably been asked before but I can’t find it. Anyway, I just transferred my registration from CT to NY and I need to get inspected in 10 days (well 5 now). My car won’t pass as-is and I can’t get it to pass in time to meet the 10 day. If I go and fail, can I get an extension? I have no cats and a CEL, thats the only reason why I won’t pass. I plan on getting a catted downpipe just haven’t had to cash to order it yet.

I would just get a mil eliminator and that should take care of the CEL.

I have a mechanical spacer currently and that stopped working a while back. I could build a mil eliminator quick I guess. Still won’t pass if they physically check for a cat. Do they usually go pretty thorough on the inspection?

i have never heard of a mil eliminator

I think they mean an O2 sim.

if they fail you for no cat, you wont get an extension. if they fail you for emissions youll get a 10 day extension

no quick lube will check for a cat

theyll be so amazed a wrx showed up in their shop cause they all drive shit boxes

especially a honda wrx, thats crazy!

If you actually have a wrx, you can get the cel tuned out i think

I have headers with the cats down pipe so I get the same CEL. I’ve done this the last two years.

Clear the codes then park the car. On the next day (I say this because I’m assuming the engine is warmed up and it HAS to be cold for 1. to work, so just to be certain in case you don’t own a scanner and drove to get one or get the CEL cleared):

1. Engine cold start, let the car idle, approximately 3 minutes. Evaluated:

• Secondary Air System
    • Evaporative Leak Detection (LDP Equipped Vehicles)

2. Constant driving at 20 to 30 MPH, approximately 4 minutes. Evaluated:

• Oxygen Sensors - Achieved “Closed Loop” Operation
    • Oxygen Sensors - Response Time and Switching Time (Control Frequency)

3. Constant driving at 40 to 60 MPH, approximately 15 minutes (sufficient vehicle coast
    ing phases included). Evaluated:

• Catalytic Converter Efficiency
    • Oxygen Sensors - Response Time and Switching Time (Control Frequency)

4. Engine idling, approximately 5 minutes. Evaluated:

• Tank-Leak Diagnosis (DM TL Equipped Vehicles after KL 15 is switched OFF)

NOTE: The diagnostic sequence illustrated above will be interrupted if:

• The engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM.
• Large fluctuations in the accelerator pedal position.
• The driving speed exceeds 60 MPH.

Then go right to the inspection and you should pass, unless they see you don’t have cats of course. The CEL will come back in a few days. Hope this helps.

Haha, yea I had a Utec but sold it cause it wasn’t working and I just didn’t want to deal with tuning it or getting it tuned. Would sure come in handy now though…

I’m going to make that simple mil fix, its just a rc circuit slapped inline of the o2. If that doesn’t work I just bought a catted DP which should be the final answer. It will be nice for the car to be quiter anyway. (never thought I’d say that).

I’m guessing that he has an 03 Honda and an 03 WRX. Hard to tell with the fancy english skills.

if you can make it pass the scan test, I have a guy in rochester who will overlook the visual inspection. just PM me if you want the hookup.

im not in rochester, im right here