NYS Law on Mufflers

Was doing some homework and I thought I would share this for those of you who were not aware of the laws. Look at #31. Its about vehicle exhaust systems. Thought it was interesting. Ill bet that almost all of us are driving around with illegal exhaust. I always figured that it had to be below a certain db, but guess not.
http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS

:umm that link just takes you to a huge list of different laws

My mistake. Click the link, then click on VAT, then click on Article 9, click on 375 (equipment) and scroll down to # 31. It was the link right from the page that described the laws. :confused

I must be a felon then. Loud mufflers and no cats. My car was originally equipped with 4 cats.

:lol yeah that means that all the guys including myself that have the “can” on their cars are just looking for an obvious ticket.

If that law was enforced to its full extent though then everyone with an exhaust leak would be pulled over. Also if they want to take the time to do the research on a specific vehicle to see what the original maximum Db rating of the stock exhaust was then go and measure how loud the exhaust on the persons vehicle is for a simple muffler ticket then thats a little excessive in my mind.

Which is why usually a muffler ticket is issued along with something else, or as a reason to pull someone over or if it is obnoxiously loud.

It really is up to the discretion of the officer. I’ve previously gotten a noise ticket on my diesel truck with stock exhaust. Today, a trooper pulled me over while I was driving the Firebird. The bird is missing a muffler and he let me go with no issues. shrugs

lmao that side exit deff pissed off the cops …

I ran no exhaust for a few weeks on the Civic and many people told me it was one of the loudest they’ve ever heard…no problems http://smiliesftw.com/x/shrug.gif

I got an exhaust ticket at a DWI checkpoint. Went to court, got it dropped. 3" Straightpipe coming soon.

Pulled over 3 times in a month with that thing…including my driveway while i was pulling in

there is a easy way to get out of a fix it ticket …know someone that has a shop and a inspector number ;D :ninja

Yeah. just figured it would be a good fyi. Because like some of you have said, its only just a reason for them to pull you over, but its always good to know what your dealing with if by chance they do.

i hope most people have known this, don’t modify your car if you don’t keep up with the laws.

i got pulled over last night for my exhaust, told the cop straight up that i knew it was illegal but it is there for performance, and i realize that while modifing my car for performance sometimes means i will end up with tickets for the modifications, but it is a decision i make. his draw dropped to the floor, oh and i didn’t get a single ticket.

you suck

cause you would of gotten ticketed?

with my luck yes

holla at that one my boy, just got a tail light violation, he said my tail lights didnt work, i get out and they work fine, so i brought the ticket to work and my boss filled it out haha

:giggedy

lol I got pulled over last night in my G20, asked the cop why he pulled me over and hes like well your exhaust is really loud, I was like sorry sir I know, my father was driving the car for awhile and it got a bad exahust leak, im waiting to get some cash to get a new one put on

checked my license, comes back and then decided that he smelled something funny, asked me if i had been smoking i was like no, thats the carpet cleaner my dad had in the back of the car, hes like oh im sorry have a nice night… oh btw do you remember why i pulled you over, yes sir no front plate and my exaust, alright just wanted to make sure you remembered have a nice night.