NYSI second opinion

Took the 200 down to Broad Elm today for an inspection.

Tried to get me to pay $700 for a new rack and pinion, for what looks like a small leak. Anyone help me out getting her out there for one more season?

(or at least someone to look at it for more than 5 minutes before telling me I need to lay out $700 on an '89 200sx)

LOL 700$, thats why NYSI inspections are bullshit, who cares if you lose powersteering, two of my cars dont have it who gives a fawq

its prolly a line goign to the rack…i know some of the hardlines though are built into the rack and rack needs to be replace…give don a call to see if he can look at it for you

:tup: to Don

Cut it and put rubber hose line over it? Why not.

Just take off the PS lines and loop them.

x2^500

even if the leak is at the seals, just run that fucker dry. I did it on my 240 for a year, no problems. (i just had the PS lines hanging, disconnected. LOL)

run it dry. i ran my old civic beater dry after it started leaking for years

no need for P/S Mike. come on over, we will rip that whole system right out and then weigh it, and smile…

then we will realize your car is still slow lol

If its return line yes
if its a pressure line no use lol i tried.

They said he needs a new rack and pinion which would completely eliminate the lines that go to the pump, cooler, and back. So that leaves the feed lines that are located on the rack and pinion itself (go from one side to the other),or the end seals where the inner tie rods go. If its the hard lines on the rack you can usually get those from the dealership, if its the end seals your probly screwed as most of the time they are not servicable.

Nine times out of ten its leaking into the bellows. It fails because if you do not have steering it is not safe. few things you always check. steering bellows tie rods,and control arm bushings. every caviliar will fail for them

I had him show it to me while it was up on the lift.

The leak looks like it originates somewhere above or from the PS pump.
The tech seemed to think there was a leak inside the boot of the power steering gear assembly. Didnt make sense to me since the fluid looked to be leaking down, but he really didnt care what I thought.

Looks like ill give Don a call and see what he can do.

If the car is OEM with PS, you cannot pass if you do not have the PS installed and working properly.

I tried simply looping the lines, but it did not fly. This was via a “friendly” mechanic too.

i got an idea, who gives a shit, its to the inspectors disgression, o boi hes got 2 drops, lets take an innocent person and make some money off of them, fuck that noise, pm me and ill tell you how bad it is

1989 200sx? Import that from europe?

pm’ed

NYSI requires that there are no external leaks. Seepage is allowable. Leaks no. Alot of times shops will do what they can to get the work going.

This is the original intent of NYSI. NYS does not care if your car is safe, hence why ball joints are not on inspection :bloated:

Quote the NYS official giving the NYSI test “NYSI was designed to get every car on the road in the shop once a year to keep business going”

Heres the way DMV looks at it. If it drips while it is running it is rejectable.
My suggestion would be to degrease it and clean it off (power wash at diy car wash) then take a good look at it. Chances are its a small seepage. Clean it off and take it elsewhere. If you take your receipt that it failed you will only have to have the saftey part reinspected ($10.00) of course the inspector after seeing the other receipt is gonna look pretty close at the alleged leak. If you havent needed to fill it in months the leak is pretty small.

car does have to hold an alignment, and if the balljoints are bad enough it cant.

Oh great the balljoint thing.
wanna know why balljoints are not part of inspection- 2 reasons

1. theres no factory spec for what is allowable wear.
  2. back in the 60’s-70’s ball joints were part of inspection. Know what the inspectors did- they put a friggen 3 foot pry bar to the suspension and said see it’s bad. If you take a 3 foot pry bar to anything that has to have some play so it can move/swivel i’m pretty sure its gonna move.