NZBMatrix is no more...

how big is your mysql database? mine’s coming up on 9 GB, and I’m pretty sure the free tier of aws is limited to 10 GB.

I’m still under 1GB on database size. My nzbfiles directory is at 3GB or so.

starting to get a bit more impressive in terms of library breadth but i was searching for a few things today and couldn’t find a bunch of what I was looking for :\

What if we get a few of us to throw in a few bucks and do this? Seems kind of silly that all of these people keep setting up redundant dedicated linux boxes in a semi-personal community here and no one will share instead of pooling resources…

Seems like it would make sense

Get a handful of people together rent a virtual private server for $10-30 a month

mine’s 28.9 GB http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac200/byrnespcgarage/database_zpsc986fd7d.png

Edit:

oh yeah, I forgot to post this. http://bandofbrothers.3owl.com/nn/nninstall.sh it’s a script that installs newznab apache sql sphinx mediainfo ffmpeg and everything that is needed to your ubuntu install.

I would pitch in. More than willing to do some admin work on it as we’ll.

Gl@re, how many groups do you have turned on?

I’m in to pitch in, I’ll leave the admin work to those with a higher nerd level. With a beefy virtual private server we could index pretty much all of alt.binaries too instead of just a small list like Jay’s.

all of them. Some backfilled to june first, and the rest backfilled to october first.

I’d chip in

has anyone come across links for an “optimal” setup?

So I can try to find appropriate VPS pricing?

I’m using apache and MySQL on fedora 15. That’s only because I already had the box up and running with those packages though.

The box is a core2duo with something like 10GB of ram

Seems to run fine, though I would rather be running centos Linux.

Bandwidth might end up being an issue since we’re going to be downloading and uploading thousands of nzbs. Like I said, I’ve been up and running for a few weeks at most and have already done 3GB of nzb downloads.

Yea but I can get a unlimited bandwidth boot leg VPS for cheap.

Build it -> Back up configs -> Keep local copy etc

I haven’t found anything for “optimal” but it looks like a minimum of 768MB RAM and 60GB Storage. Maybe something like the Essential VPS from ServInt? $50/month. We use them at work and they have been really reliable.

my install just passed the 100 GB mark. I had to clone the virtual disk to a bigger one.

Are there any groups that have significantly more data than others?

Does this thing hammer CPU?

my cpu is more or less idle

a few users running searches might start to hit it a bit, but that’ll be more so ram/io than it will be cpu.

I haven’t logged into the box I have it running on in weeks. In fact I couldn’t log in directly since it’s sitting on the floor in my work room with just power and nic hooked up. Ubuntu FTW. I know you can manage a linux box entirely from terminal but I’m a linux noob so when I SSH into it I only know a few basic commands, like how to shut it down when I was rewiring an outlet downstairs and needed to kill power at the circuit breaker.

lolll

Why don’t you install VNC or something?

I was planning to. Haven’t had a need though, and I’m busy doing awesome shit like riding snowmobiles through 3 foot deep creeks while you guys debate optimal server settings :wink:

Right now mine isn’t even running Sphinx as the text search. The early tutorial I used when setting it up didn’t bother with it and I haven’t bothered going back to mess with it. If I start seeing it get slow I’ll do it but for now I’m putting as little effort as possible into running this server. I can manage the site and my users via the web admin page and that’s all I’ve needed so far. I’m sure it would be getting killed if it was a public server with 1000’s of users, but it’s me and 5 buddies I’ve given access, 2 of which still haven’t downloaded a single NZB.