OEM Key Cutting/Locksmith

I did a search and no luck…anyways I was wondering is anyone has had postive experiences with anyone that does Key cutting.

Bought MR2, Key only opens the Doors and Turns ignition. Toyota tells me the key is the Valet key. So for $200 they will get me a new key…k thks.

So does anyone know of a good locksmith that can cut a key for me? I have the code. If this sets me back >$50 I will just keep the valet key.

Thanks.

what is a locksmith going to do with a code?

Code?!?!? Is it a micro-chipped Key? or is it supposed to be?

Key only opens the Doors and Turns ignition.

what more are you looking for this key to do?

trunk/glove/maybe gas door lock

QFT

What about this key makes it $200? Northtown Toyota cut me a new key for my Camry for under $20. All I needed was the registration to prove the car was mine.

I know what I would tell you to do with it…I keed. They can create a new key. That’s how they replace a lost key or a worn key.

No it is not chipped. That’s why I was like WTF?

As for the code. If you have the key “code” on the cylinder (typically the passenger cylinder and ignition ahve it stamped on there) you can cut the key or they can talke it apart and look at the waffers. The key works on tumblers and the tumblers are labeled with a height…blah-blah-blah…these numbers determine the “code” and this is how you cut a key. It’s not hard at all but you need a machine that can cut blanks. That’s why I was like WTF??? Most Key shops just make duplicate keys. But even as a key gets worn obviously you can’t always copy it.

Open stuff.

Mainly was just kind of surprised I could not open the trunk. I kind of like being able to open it with a key.

See, that’s what I thought. I have had keys cut before from the dealer with no issue just never from a Toyota dealer.

Called Northtown and they said around $30 depending on the key style. They have the black OEM ones that are a little more. Maybe they got me mixed up with the 00-05 with the Transpoder key at West Herr and that’s why they said $200.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ah, that code; most times the dealer just needs the VIN, but that code makes it easier.

$30 is about right for a dealer key with no electronics.

At least it’s not the Laser cut MB keys… what are those, like $1K or something I think I heard.

they are only $500/ea if you pay off the guy working at the dealer

what I was getting at is only the dealer would have the profile info to create a new key from a OEM key code

True. This is why I thought I was screwed.

You’re screwed anyways!!! but that’s another story!!!:purextc:

The valet key is shorter by one tumbler iirc and I think the last one is the same size on all master keys, I bet any locksmith could make one up real quick using your valet key. I’m kind of in the same boat myself but no locksmith around me has the machine to cut a bmw key.

dont feel bad. my key only turns on the car. doesnt up the trunk, or any of the doors, or anything else :picard:

anyone have a hook up on the 01-05 honda keys? i only have one now and dont wanna pay 150+ on a key