original key to open trunk?

hey, so i was trying to open my trunk for the first time today and i couldn’t open it with my key. only with the pull lever from inside my car… i don’t have the original key, only a cut copy. could this be why? and, where can i get an original key for my car? or is it a lost cause…

open the trunk with the lever, from inside the trunk lid remove the lock cylinder clip, take the cylinder to a locksmith and get it fixed to match key.

^+1

you could get an OEM key cut from the dealership with your vin proof of ownership and ID but who is to say that key will work in your trunk?

It could also be that the tumblers are semi seized --before spending $ remove the lock assembly, take it apart and clean/lube it with WD40- - sometimes I move the tumblers with a small screwdriver. This has worked on several of our S13’s. Can usually be done within 1 hour.

yep if a lock is not turned in years, it likely will not turn, especially on a car

yep if a lock is not turned in years, it likely will not turn, especially on a car

will it work if i let it sit with wd40 for awhile ?

It’s seized for sure. My trunk went first, now none of my locks turn.

thanks for all the advice! will try the wd40 method first, and if that fails it’s off to a locksmith… how much does it cost to get a key cut at the dealership? my keyman key copy is really ugly.

Hopefully they have a record of it. Last time I went to the dealer to get a key cut from a VIN, they told me that they began keeping the keycodes of VIN’s in 1996.

put soem white grease and just slide the key in and out a thousand times then maybe it will work. if not penetrating oil will work

1996? damnit, i have a 95… will try all of the above on the next sunny day. thanks again! will let u know how it turns out.

My driver door lock seizes a bit sometimes when its cold. It’ll work if you keep trying it though.