Official 08-09 Penguins Thread

Here is a site i read some rumors on…here is some of the lastest.

-Sharks are toalking to Shero for a cheechoo-whitney trade…may be soemthing goo to fall back on if Hossa and malone leave…but whitney is our Gonchar replacement

-Montreal wants lararque…but Laraque wants to stay in pgh and will take a slight paycut to stay

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

I mentioned this to my g/f a couple months ago and I thought she was gonna punch me.

I think it would be good to trade Malkin. He is clearly a world class player, but his language problems and being the 2nd superstar into Pittsburgh behind Crosby will always hamper him here.

I say let him goto a team that needs a leader where he can really thrive.

Umm yeah I see your point but we are a much better team with Geno. Having two #1 lines makes it very hard to shut us down. The only thing I don’t like is the PP seems to be too loaded at times. But Geno stays for life…well at least I hope.

i agree with bics…given his language barrier i’m not so sure he’d be the leader for a different team you think he would be anyway. Plus it never hurts to be stacked, i bet if we traded malkin, and crosby got hurt again next year you’d really regret the decision to trade malkin. just look at what happened this year. Or this scenario, if the caps lost ovechkin for say 25 games or so, even making the playoffs would be a stretch, the same could happen for us.

thats rediculous… i heard malkin for kopitar somewhere. i think its probably bullshit but its probably a lot more realistic than trading him for a draft pick. there is no one coming out of this draft class thats worth giving up malkin for.

also i dont think he has a language problem. he’s from russia… he doesnt speak english. i’m sure he’ll pick it up but it takes time. there are plenty of “good” players out there that arent team leaders in the locker room. he scores a million points a year, let him speak whatever language he wants… i think pittsburgh fans get spoiled by crosby giving a two hour press conference after every game… its really not that necessary. Malkin gets paid to play hockey… not talk to you.

from a reality standpoint, i agree with you 100%

i was just making reference to media and within the nhl and what he lacks from right now.

jared staal ftw draft slection 120 lol

the worst thing the penguins ever did was trade Jagr all those years ago, trading Malkin would be just as dumb.

whats this i hear about the Russian CHL team wanting to acquire Malkin for $12.5 mil/year tax free?

they also said that would be around $15 million US, said he wants to stay in pittsburgh tho FTMFW!

Humm…so it looks like no Hossa…sucks…chances are Malone and Hossa will be gone now. They could sign Malone for like 5.5 mil…but I don’t think he is a 5-6 mil guy. So it looks like Shero has to look for a trade or the FA market. I think he should go for Cheechoo…50 goal scorer and 3 mil/yr is a good bang for the buck.

So Uncle Gary is probably leaving. I expected him to retire but he is not…considering his 2.5 mil salary and he is on the 4th line a lot he doesnt fit in with our team b/c of the cap. Oh well it was sweet having him here but I didn’t expect him to be back anyways.

I read int he post that Geno still wants to sign and it should be in the 8.5/yr range…which is pretty good to have Sid and Geno for under 9/yr for both. They also said since Recchi is up for FA this year this is a slight chance he will be back…not sure about that. I love the guy but how many times are we gonna take him back and trade him?

So much for the Straka Rumors

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_574712.html

PRAGUE, Czech Republic – Martin Straka has decided to leave the NHL and return to his former Czech club.
Straka, who played for the New York Rangers the last three seasons after joining the Penguins and NHL in 1992, will be a player and sports director for HC Lasselsberger Plzen, the club said on its Web site today.

“We struck a deal with Martin last night,” club president Tomas Kral said. The 35-year-old forward scored 257 goals and had 460 assists in 954 NHL regular season games, and added another 26 goals and 44 assists in the playoffs.

He had two stints with the Penguins, and also played for the Ottawa Senators, New York Islanders, Florida Panthers and Los Angeles Kings before signing with the Rangers in 2005. He scored 14 goals and had 27 assists last season.

Orpik rejects contract…fuck

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08178/892906-100.stm

Orpik rejects Penguins contract offer
Thursday, June 26, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Defenseman Brooks Orpik has received, and rejected, a contract offer from the Penguins.

“We did receive an offer, which we turned down,” said Orpik’s agent, Lewis Gross. “But we’re still talking.”

He declined to say whether he was optimistic about whether a deal could be reached before Tuesday, when Orpik qualifies for unrestricted free agency.

Damn…

Lot of “oh we wanna stay together for a better chance at a good team” talk is starting to fall apart.

I heard it was a 4 yr 14 mil offer (3.5/yr)…and he wants over 4 mil/yr.

I think both he and Malone got legit offers. They both played out of their minds this season, but a season before I thought Orpik was hitting guys like a little girl in a dress and Malone wasn’t anything special.

Getting to the cup finals got these guys thinking they’re superstars.

does it seem that the Pens are the only team in a little “turmoil?” or is it just me.

fixed

bunch of primadonnas i say

perfect