Official 08-09 Penguins Thread

According to the rumor websites, the Penguins are interested in trading away Staal’s rights for “77rednecktruck” from the Pittspeed league.

:greddy2:

:rofl:

I thought he played pretty well again

it seems like staal plays his best when he is the center of trade rumors. anyone else notice that?

I don’t claim to be a NHL level player. But compared to other NHL players, Stall is not good.

I still hope we don’t trade Staal for a winger like St. Louis who is a hell of a lot closer to the end of his career than the beginning. We don’t HAVE to trade him so I think doing that and bringing in a 36 year old midget winger isn’t going to solve anything long term.

Dustin Brown, Nathan Horton, James Van Riemsydyk (Flyers Prospect), somebody along those type of lines is what I’d rather see, not someone chasing Mark Recchi in age.

Well TB wants a top-two defensive player, so unless we give gonchar or letang we arent getting St. Louis. Unless they think eaton or scuderi is one lol

I duno, looking at everyone on the trading block… its going to be crazy tomorrow and weds… but i dont think we r going to make a move on anyone now, unless we get a great deal…

If I we get recchi back im going to be pissed!!!

Alex O doesn’t give a shit about Don Cherry or Crosby

Capitals’ Boudreau defends OvechkinComment Email Print Share Associated Press
WASHINGTON – Alex Ovechkin smiled that gap-toothed smile of his and laughed off Canadian TV analyst Don Cherry’s criticism of his exuberant goal celebrations.

TV analyst Don Cherry sided with Sidney Crosby, left, in criticizing Alex Ovechkin’s post-goal behavior.
“He’s a funny guy and old guy. He likes old-fashioned hockey,” Ovechkin said Sunday after scoring his NHL-high 46th goal in Washington’s 6-2 loss to Florida.

“He’s not interesting to me, so he can say whatever he wants. I don’t care about him,” Ovechkin said.

The league’s reigning MVP generally sounded far less upset about the whole thing than Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau, who fired back at Cherry when asked before the game about the bombastic personality’s comments.

“He’s a friend of mine. And he’s an idol of mine. I mean, I love what Don Cherry has stood for, for 30 years. I just think that even the smartest people in the world are wrong sometimes, and I just thought he was wrong,” Boudreau said. “Because he doesn’t know Alex like we know Alex.”

Prompted by some recent back-and-forth trash talk between Ovechkin and Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby, Cherry came down on the Russian on Saturday during his “Coach’s Corner” segment of “Hockey Night in Canada” on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Cherry was critical of the way Ovechkin reacts when he scores, which can include fist pumps, leg kicks and face-first jumps into the glass.

Cherry called that “goofy stuff.”

“I’m going to tell you about this guy: He’s got a free ride. He runs at guys, does this stuff,” Cherry said. “I am predicting somebody’s going to get him. And somebody’s going to get him good. There’s somebody out there – some big defenseman is going to be sitting in the weeds. As he cuts across center ice, somebody’s going to cut him in half.”

“What I try to do is teach the kids the Canadian way,” Don Cherry said.
Video of soccer players celebrating goals was shown, followed by video of Ovechkin.

“Now watch Ovechkin. … Does he not remind you of a soccer player? And that’s what Crosby was talking about. Look at him,” Cherry said.

Asked if he was angry about what Cherry said, Ovechkin replied: “No. I just laughed about it. He’s funny. In hockey, we need something like that.”

Then, noting Cherry’s soccer references, Ovechkin added with a mischievous grin: “Maybe Canadians don’t have a soccer team. Maybe he’s jealous of Russia.”

Known for his staunchly pro-Canada stance, Cherry gave a long list of hockey players from that country who should be viewed as role models.

“What I try to do is teach the kids the Canadian way,” he said.

Boudreau knows Cherry and his take on things well: Cherry is writing the foreword for Boudreau’s autobiography due out later this year.

“As much as I really like the guy, I thought he was wrong,” Boudreau said. “He’s pro-Canadian, and there’s 33 million Canadians that love that, as anybody would. And if I was sitting at home, I’d be going, ‘Yeah, yeah, Canada!’ But I just happen to be in the same business as him, so I see it a little differently.”

:gives: fuck ALex-o. Geno >Ovechkin

Don Cherry has no right talking about the flamboyance of anybody. AO’s energy brings new fans to the sport every day… Don Cherry and his silly fag costumes do nothing.

Yeah Don Cherry can be a douche at times. I will say I don’t buy the whole you can tell his celebrations are so pure and you can tell he just loves hockey. I think he is your typical sore winner type player who does it not only because he is happy, but to rub the opposition’s face in it. Some people like this and that is cool, but typically when you get a rep for doing that and taking runs at people in a fashion where it appears you just a want to injur them…then you have it coming to you just like Cherry said.

I love watching Ovechkin play. I wish someone cough cough Crosby cough cough on our team was as happy to play the game. Ovechkin is the most exciting player in hockey.

I agree that Malkin is a better all around player, but I would love to have Ovechkin on the Penguins.

There is no doubt Ovechkin is very exciting to watch play. He is crazy, and you would be an idiot to not want him on your team…he just comes off as a “sore winner”. But yes Geno > Alex O…he is more of a complete player.

We watch hockey and all sports for entertainment. Football would be boring without ocho cinco, and T.O. just like hockey would be boring without people like Ovechkin acting like retards every now and then.

But Ovechkin can be a “sore winner” he is the best in the world at what he does.

exactly. his job is to entertain… and he is the most entertaining person in his profession. thats why he makes ridiculous money doing it.

i dont know if you can really call him a sore winner, as washington has sucked for the majority of his career.
they played sunday and got their asses handed to them by the panthers of all teams… he scored with seconds left in the third and was still dancing around like an idiot. that to me is passion. he’s just happy to be out there.

i think hes probably the best goal scorer in the game (even tho he shoots more than anyone) and there is no doubt that hes an awesome player (although Malkin is better, overall, as i said). i kinda do agree with Cherry about the fact that he uses his status to take liberties on other players. i wouldnt be surprised if someone lights him up hard, one day. thats hockey tho, so it works both ways.

as far as this story being a headline, i dont see what the big deal is. you know what you are getting with Don Cherry, he says things like that all the time. sometimes there is brutal truth in it and other times it seems like he is talking out of his ass.

Are you serious?? Football would be football w/o assholes like that, it would give ESPN more time to talk about the actual sport instead of how Ocho Stinko is getting his name changed… or how T.O. is tired of Romo playing grabass with Witten and not him, assholes like them give the sport a bad name… not make it more entertaining. You want drama… go watch some soaps.

that being said… I think AO is not even comparable to the way the 2 above assholes act, like stated above… Alex enjoys playing hockey win or lose… TO and #85 play the blame game

I think St Louis is on the downside of his career. I really want to see Staal go to the Senators for Heatley. I can see an upside for both teams with that move, but I am no GM

I view sports as entertainment. When I see T.O. or someone like that doing a crazy dance in the endzone or yelling at their teammates or coaches on the sidelines, it makes me laugh (aka entertained). Same think with Ovechkin. When he makes a legal hit, which doesn’t happen to often, or points at Crosby when he scores, it makes me laugh.

Won’t work with the salary cap. Heatley is making a shit ton of money. Plus, we don’t want him to come down here and take somebody like Talbot or Kennedy for a ride in his Ferrari and wrap it around a telephone pole and kill them.

anything is possible. you figure if staal is gone and sykora doesnt resign, satan leaving etc…it wouldnt be out of the question, although unlikely.

the ferrari thing isnt cool, man. let that pass.

edit: satan on waivers as we speak