OFFICIAL '08 Nissan GTR Thread *now with test results*

Miatas were selling way over sticker when they first came out, so for sure you are going to see GTRs with insane markups. Basic economics should tell you that these will not be selling anywhere near sticker untill the supply catches up with the demand.

I think demand will be high, it really does not have any competition among the japanese manufacturers. Not like in the early 90s when the 300zx fought it out with the RX7, Supra, and 3000GT.

agreed with poopra. and many old timers know that the early 90s sports cars are awesome and they will be able to see that this is a much improved machine over 350z/g35.

[quote=“POOPRA,post:81,topic:37482"”]

Miatas were selling way over sticker when they first came out, so for sure you are going to see GTRs with insane markups. Basic economics should tell you that these will not be selling anywhere near sticker untill the supply catches up with the demand.

I think demand will be high, it really does not have any competition among the japanese manufacturers. Not like in the early 90s when the 300zx fought it out with the RX7, Supra, and 3000GT.

[/quote]

Plus, if this finds success here, it will open the door to more cars in this range (like the LFA) being built. It certainly looks like a real contender.

[quote=“POOPRA,post:81,topic:37482"”]

[/quote]

:word:

I can’t remember a Japanese car that dealerships didn’t try to sell over sticker that was wildly anticipated. Same happened with the first EVOs from what I remember?

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not a Nissan fan; I’m a 300zx fan and a fan of more performance cars like this in the market. :tup:

Hell, you could even make the argument that once these cars are out, they will drive down the resale prices of Z06s simply due to the fact that consumers will have more options. That will make it easier for the Z06 fans to get their hands on them in the future :sario:

How many performance cars can you buy right now for under $100k and over 450hp?

Z06
Viper
M5

I know there are more, but that’s off the top of my head.

Now how many of them are Japanese? NONE. Do you think Honda or Toyota will sit there and let Nissan stand alone? Maybe this is the last straw that pushes for Toyota to make another Supra? They’ll want a slice of the pie.

And if you use the Japanese manufacturers strategy when it came to introducing full-size trucks (Tundra, Titan) as a case study, their mindset was if they could take even a small percent of the market away from the US brands, it would help their position overall. Granted the truck market is much larger than the performance car market, but take 1% of people who would have bought a ZO6 and sell them the GTR… that’s 1% less people buying American. That 1% starts to look bigger once you factor in that the American brands are operating at a loss while everyone else is making money.

I thought the ISF was going to be over 400 hp

[quote=“66impalass,post:85,topic:37482"”]

I thought the ISF was going to be over 400 hp

[/quote]

It is, but it’s not classed with the cars I’ve listed.

The Evolution 8 was highly priced over sticker when it first came out. This will be the same scenario. The biggest challenge that Nissan will have is getting the higher end BMW owners, Z06 owners and most importantly, Porsche owners to buy into this car. Since its had little to no penetration (legally) into the US, the only real press the name gets is from us who treat it as the Unicorn/Holy Grail. Car and Driver, etc will do their job to get the name out (that is if it performs as hyped) and I am sure the price vs. performance will come into play but you will probably also have your loyalists when it come to vehicles as well. Hopefully Toyota follows suit (I can’t see Mitsubishi making another “Super Car”).

M5 not classed with the ISF?

or is it not going to be under $100k

also the new CTS-V, same category as the M5

[quote=“66impalass,post:88,topic:37482"”]

or is it not going to be under $100k

[/quote]

from a price perspective, how does the M6 compare to the M5? They are both over $100k, correct?

[quote=“Onyx Z32,post:84,topic:37482"”]

:word:

I can’t remember a Japanese car that dealerships didn’t try to sell over sticker that was wildly anticipated. Same happened with the first EVOs from what I remember?

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not a Nissan fan; I’m a 300zx fan and a fan of more performance cars like this in the market. :tup:

Hell, you could even make the argument that once these cars are out, they will drive down the resale prices of Z06s simply due to the fact that consumers will have more options. That will make it easier for the Z06 fans to get their hands on them in the future :sario:

How many performance cars can you buy right now for under $100k and over 450hp?

Z06
Viper
M5

I know there are more, but that’s off the top of my head.

Now how many of them are Japanese? NONE. Do you think Honda or Toyota will sit there and let Nissan stand alone? Maybe this is the last straw that pushes for Toyota to make another Supra? They’ll want a slice of the pie.

And if you use the Japanese manufacturers strategy when it came to introducing full-size trucks (Tundra, Titan) as a case study, their mindset was if they could take even a small percent of the market away from the US brands, it would help their position overall. Granted the truck market is much larger than the performance car market, but take 1% of people who would have bought a ZO6 and sell them the GTR… that’s 1% less people buying American. That 1% starts to look bigger once you factor in that the American brands are operating at a loss while everyone else is making money.

[/quote]

I hear you but, a few questions come to mind…
Is Nissan going to profit from this car?
Do dealers REALLY even want to sell/service this thing?
People like NYSPEEDER’s love this car and 99.123456789% of them can’t afford it.
When you actually get your pen out to write the check for a six figure car you can’t help but think about prestige, will this impress my neighbor or his 10 year old son who plays video games?
I know “looks” are opinion but come on, if this thing is sitting next to a 930 there will be NOOOOO comparison.

I guess time will tell how this thing sells.

[quote=“66impalass,post:88,topic:37482"”]

[/quote]

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word “classed.”

CTS-V has 400hp.
ISF has 416hp

M5 has 500hp

Let me adjust the question; how many cars out there are under $100 that can compete PERFORMANCE wise (not just power) with the Z06?

1 - ZO6
2 - Viper
3 - GTR

That’s the market / “class” I’m referring too. Feel free to add to the list :tup:

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:90,topic:37482"”]

I hear you but, a few questions come to mind…
Is Nissan going to profit from this car?

[/quote]

They don’t need to. This is simply a statement of what they can achieve with their technology and a flagship for the brand. And if it takes market share from the other manufacturers, that’s an added bonus.

Do dealers REALLY even want to sell/service this thing?

[/quote]

Who knows? We’ll have to wait and see.

People like NYSPEEDER’s love this car and 99.123456789% of them can’t afford it.
When you actually get your pen out to write the check for a six figure car you can’t help but think about prestige, will this impress my neighbor or his 10 year old son who plays video games?
I know “looks” are opinion but come on, if this thing is sitting next to a 930 there will be NOOOOO comparison.

[/quote]

I agree. IMO If I’m going to spend nearly $80k on a car, it’s not going to be this one. Nor would I ever spend $80k on a Z06 or Viper. But then again, I’m not a performance junky.

Lets not start another “prestige” thread, lol :eekdance:

I like the idea of it but I really dont see myself wanting to spend big money on it, just because of what else I could get for that price. (that is if I ever make enough scratch to afford one)

edit:
I also really hate the lack of symetry and 40 ft length inherent in the front driveshaft / transfercase design.

I would take the previous generation CTS-V over the new GTR every day of the week.

And that’s coming from the domestic hater.

[quote=“Onyx Z32,post:91,topic:37482"”]

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word “classed.”

CTS-V has 400hp.
ISF has 416hp

M5 has 500hp

Let me adjust the question; how many cars out there are under $100 that can compete PERFORMANCE wise (not just power) with the Z06?

1 - ZO6
2 - Viper
3 - GTR

That’s the market / “class” I’m referring too. Feel free to add to the list :tup:

[/quote]

New CTS-V will be 500+ hp to compete directly with the M5, but that is besides the point

Honestly I am going to have a hard time believing a 3800lb car is going to have the same performance as a 3200 lb vette. Especially for someone that just does weekend DE, you are going to be burning through tires and pads like woah®

its on the cover of the latest Autoweek

a link to the article

[quote=“MPD47,post:94,topic:37482"”]

I would take the previous generation CTS-V over the new GTR every day of the week.

And that’s coming from the domestic hater.

[/quote]

have you ever driven a V? personally, i thought it sucked hard. not at all what it was hyped up to be. i only drove it for 20 minutes but still… i hated it. sorry to go OT.

yea ive driven the V as well… and i was kinda meh about it… it was fun… wasnt very raw or edgy… drove like a high hp pillow

[quote=“Viper966,post:98,topic:37482"”]

yea ive driven the V as well… and i was kinda meh about it… it was fun… wasnt very raw or edgy… drove like a high hp pillow

[/quote]

Way off topic but the V is a very different car. Free up some extra HP and add some better tires and it is a lot more fun.
I will be interested to see what the new one brings to the table.

Back on topic…

“Mizuno claimed a time of 7minutes 38 seconds, compared with 7:43 for a Porsche 911 GT3 and 7:32 for a Carrera GT, but he was anxious to point out that there had been “two wet patches on the circuit.” Indeed, he mentioned the “wet patches” so many times that you wondered why Nissan simply hadn’t waited for a dry day. Mizuno reckoned that a time of around 7:30 should have been possible in the dry, but that going much faster would have required hand-cut slicks, which isn’t “real world.” Bizarrely, Nissan admitted to having different test drivers for different lapping. While Chief Test Driver Toshio Suzuki operates in the 7:30-7:40 range, his right-hand man is a 7:40-7:50 man.”