OFFICIAL Buffalo Sabres Thread

[quote=“BuickGN,post:5936,topic:25170"”]

thats normal, it means nothing

[/quote]

Did you read the article?

Numminen’s suspension had some hockey insiders scratching their heads because teams generally handle serious non-hockey-related injuries such as heart defects and cancer more graciously.
“My reaction?” Numminen said of being suspended. “It’s not high on my list of things to worry about right now.”
The decision also seemed peculiar on paper. Players don’t get paid and money doesn’t count toward the salary cap until the regular season begins. The Sabres aren’t up against the salary cap ceiling and, therefore, wouldn’t need relief if they wanted to sign another defenseman. Once the season began, Numminen also could have been put on long-term injured reserve, allowing the team to spend $2.6 million over the cap until he was cleared to return.

[quote=“RedDawg,post:5940,topic:25170"”]

real classy leafs, real classy

[/quote]

:confused: :gotme: what does that have to do with the Leafs not being a classy organization? a player had an alcohol problem and now he is better.

the Sabres organization has decided to suspend Numminen without pay for “failing to show up at training camp in condition to play”.
the poor guy has a life threatening problem and thats what the Sabres organization does? pfft.

you may go sit in the corner now reddawg :rx3:

Hate to say it but jespo (aka leafs fanboy) is right. Thats a bush move on the sabres part. Not sure about the logic behind it. Teppo doesnt deserve that.

[quote=“JayS,post:5941,topic:25170"”]

Did you read the article?

[/quote]

I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to get across :gotme:

[quote=“Pass McGrass,post:5944,topic:25170"”]

I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to get across :gotme:

[/quote]

That it’s yet another sign of how the organization views it’s players. And hopefully helps the “why would danny and drury leave us” guys who are still crying in their beer understand why they left.

From the sounds of what I’ve read, there were other ways this could have been handled. Ways it should have been handled for a guy like Numminen who is a leader on this team. Add to the fact that I’m sure you already have guys who are questioning the organization from how the Briere/Drury situation was handled and I don’t think it will be a very good mood at camp.

Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier this afternoon explained the decision to suspend Teppo Numminen for failure to report to camp in proper physical condiiton the same day it was determined the veteran defenseman would require heart surgery.

“It’s business,” Regier said at a news conference in HSBC Arena.

Numminen’s surgery, scheduled for Thursday at the Cleveland Clinic, is different than his previous two procedures to correct an abnormal heartbeat. It hasn’t been disclosed what type of surgery Numminen will undergo, but it’s believed to be a valve replacement.

The Sabres two months ago signed Numminen to a one-year, $2.6 million contract but didn’t insure it. Suspending him gets the team off the hook for the guaranteed salary.

“There’s a clause explicitly in the contract that states the player must pass the physical and be fit to play,” Regier said. "It’s the collective bargaining agreement and in no way is it personal to Teppo. I had the conversation with Teppo. He understands it’s business. It has a lot of implications on the salary side, on the cap side.

“He’s still part of the team. We’re going to assist and help in any way we can. He’s down there this morning, the guys saw him. In no way is the organization going to do anything other than support him in this situation.”

Like i said its normal for this to be done, its not the sabres, any team would of done the same thing.

[quote=“JayS,post:5945,topic:25170"”]

That it’s yet another sign of how the organization views it’s players. And hopefully helps the “why would danny and drury leave us” guys who are still crying in their beer understand why they left.

From the sounds of what I’ve read, there were other ways this could have been handled. Ways it should have been handled for a guy like Numminen who is a leader on this team. Add to the fact that I’m sure you already have guys who are questioning the organization from how the Briere/Drury situation was handled and I don’t think it will be a very good mood at camp.

[/quote]

Ahhhh. I thought you were arguing with jespo’s responses. Gotcha :slight_smile:

Oh snap, it’s sounding like all of the Sabres home games broadcast this year on MSG will be in HD. I may have to get a bigger couch to fit more people if there is. :lolham:

From Saturday’s Buffalo News :

“The Sabres will televise all of their self-produced home games in high-definition this season.”

Im assuming that means all the MSG games will be available in HD!! Ugh i hope this is true, watching a game on my 60 incher on MSG and then switching over during an intermission to watch another game for a bit on HD Net is depressing :stuck_out_tongue:

I also found this on a Sabres forum, apparently a fan emailed tehir PR guy and asked about HD, and got this response :

We will be having some announcements in the next several weeks regarding several different aspects of HD. Stay tuned to sabres.com for all the details.

Michael M. Gilbert
Director of Public Relations
Buffalo Sabres
One Seymour H. Knox III Plaza
Buffalo, NY 14203
716-855-4526 (office)
716-855-4162 (fax)
716-479-2804 (cell)

Please God let there be HD :rx3:

HD MSG Alternate?
unlesss i get proodf of an hd carrier, excuse me if i remain drunk and skeptical

Only the home games? Thats sucks for anyone that has season tickets. We need the away games in HD too!!

[quote=“Carbonfiberhooded,post:5950,topic:25170"”]

Only the home games? Thats sucks for anyone that has season tickets. We need the away games in HD too!!

[/quote]

Uhhh…yeah, I feel really bad for whoever has season tickets.

Roffle.

So guess what is getting put up today at the Ralph… The mock rink set-up for the Jan 1st game!!

[quote=“nappy1380,post:5952,topic:25170"”]

So guess what is getting put up today at the Ralph… The mock rink set-up for the Jan 1st game!!

[/quote]

need pics, go now!

[quote=“Pass McGrass,post:5951,topic:25170"”]

Uhhh…yeah, I feel really bad for whoever has season tickets.

Roffle.

[/quote]

Ha ha! Durrrr!:lolham:

Let me rephrase that:

It sucks for anyone having to watch a road game on POS SD!

At least I’m not the only one who thinks the organization fucked up with how they treated Numminen. Jerry Sullivan BLASTED them. :slight_smile:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/165365.html

I’ll quote it since the Buffalo News removes their stories after about a week.

Sabres put a big chill into the air
Jerry Sullivan
Updated: 09/18/07 6:49 AM

So finally, the outdoor hockey game is official! As I understand it, the NHL has made contingency plans in case it’s unseasonably warm in Buffalo on New Year’s Day. But even if they don’t get a cold enough day, they picked the coldest possible organization.

The Sabres are getting blasted throughout North America for suspending Teppo Numminen without pay after learning the veteran defenseman would have to undergo heart surgery Thursday at the Cleveland Clinic.

The team is within its rights under the collective bargaining agreement. Numminen signed a standard player contract, which required him to pass a physical. He failed. But it’s another stupid and short-sighted move by an organization that has made too many of those in recent months.

General Manager Darcy Regier called it “business,” as if it were a simple matter of saving money for the owner, Tom Golisano. This isn’t Paychex. This move will resonate through the NHL and the Sabres’ locker room.

Numminen is a respected 39-yearold who has spent nearly half his life in the league. He was expected to be a Sabres captain this season – one of the leaders carrying on for Chris Drury and Daniel Briere. It’s hard to imagine this going over too well in the locker room, where the players are still reeling from the Drury and Briere departures.

“Teppo has an issue,” Golisano said Monday at The Ralph, where the Jan. 1 game was announced. “He’s been a great player for this team. We’re going to do everything we can to help him through this. If he’s able to play, we’ll welcome him with open arms.”

It was nice to hear from the owner, who was conspicuously absent when his two captains left. I doubt the players felt like running through walls after hearing about Numminen. Hockey players give their bodies for the team. They play hurt, take pucks in the face, lose teeth and even consciousness at times.

That’s part of the “business,” too. At some point, when tough guys like Drury and Jay McKee and Mike Grier walk out the door, players start to wonder. When you see a teammate get suspended (and deleted from the team Web site), you might wonder if you’ll receive similar businesslike treatment one day.

Is it worth it for the Sabres to take the cold, calculating road? It frees up salary cap space, but Golisano doesn’t intend to spend to the cap. The value of the Sabres has doubled since Golisano bought the team. He can afford it.

Other teams have taken the high road, rather than take advantage of players with serious medical problems. Detroit paid Jiri Fischer last year, despite a heart condition. Edmonton, the evil empire that made the offer sheet to Thomas Vanek, is paying Fernando Pisani, who failed a physical due to ulcerative colitis.

Larry Quinn, the managing partner, said those other cases are different from Numminen’s, because the players were in the middle of multiyear contracts. But players have to pass physicals every year, so the argument doesn’t wash.

Stu Grimson, associate counsel for the NHL Players’ Association, was in town Monday and said the union is reviewing the matter. He didn’t want to make any further comment for the record. Grimson is a former NHL player, so you can draw your own conclusions.

Asked about the negative reaction in the hockey world to the Numminen suspension, Golisano suggested it was a creation of the media. Just like the notion that the Sabres could have signed Drury to a contract last fall. Golisano said that wasn’t the case, either.

“Chris Drury and Daniel Briere are great players,” Golisano said. “We wish them well. We have economic realities to deal with, and we dealt with them.” Again, it’s just business.

i have always hated regier and quinn but i dont know if we know the entire story here. but i want to re iterate that i hate regier and quinn! PS darcy and larry both suck.

i just read that earlier today. i really don’t think you were the only one to think that though. the sabres organization has been getting criticized like crazy by fans all around the league. goddamnit.

fire regier

im glad their doing something about the scheduling format.

I don’t see the problem, he can’t play, so that frees up money under the cap to sign players before the trade deadline to help in a playoff run. If Teppo is healthy by then great, if not, the Sabres need that money. It’s not like Teppo is going to starve, it’s just business.