OFFICIAL Buffalo Sabres Thread

I’d certainly like to see them get a decisive win against a good fast team like Montreal. According to the Buffalo News Tallinder should be back for next Tuesday’s game.

I heard on the radio today that buffalo is being considered for the outdoor game that TO is trying to put together for next year. They also brought up to Lindy that he should push for a game at the ralph. Can you imagine a sabres game with 80,000 in attendance?

sick

if there were a game in the ralph, i would buy two tix and go twice…thats how awesome it would be

I don’t think the NHL would ever allow an official game to be played at the Ralph, and I don’t think an exhibition game could draw anywhere near 80000 people.

Too many variables with outdoor games. Ambient temp, precipitation, wind etc.

I’d buy tickets in a heartbeat if they said they were going to do it though.

I doubt it would ever happen as well but i really don’t think it would be hard selling most of the seats. Its a once in a lifetime sort of thing and i guarantee people from canada woulden’t have an issue making the trek.

playing in prof arenas suuucks. they are so hot, im always covered in sweat head to toe. i’ve played at hsbc a few times in high school, as well as minor league stadiums and college rinks. i think it would be awesome if they got it together, and would def go. i think we could have 30-50k people if we played against toronto and advertised it for a while.

What college teams had an outdoor game a couple years back. I’m pretty sure that drew a lot. I’d put money down on the Sabres selling out Rich Stadium (always Rich in my mind) against someone like Toronto.

the canadians played a game outside a few years ago.it was against edmonton but it wasn’t on tv here. Not that i think it would be a very highly televised event here. It would just be something to go see.

If they did it Toronto would be the perfect team because it’s a rival, and you’d draw from that fan base as well. Here’s my big issue with it.

1. You’d have to advertise well in advance, and that means picking a single day to have the game.

1a. What happens if it’s above freezing?
1b. What happens if it starts snowing? Or worse yet, raining?
1c. What happens if it’s -10 with a -30 wind chill?

NHL quality ice is kept at a very specific temperature and thickness to have that same consistency from one location to another.

3/4" thick.
16 degrees.

How many days in Buffalo do you have 16 degree temps?

how often is the arena 16? it is regulated, they could do it outside as wel.

The percipitation is the prob

you realize the rinks themselves are temperature regulated? not the ambient air outside.

they would obviously have to blow some money on a rink setup…

btw, for those keeping tabs on all-star voting, briere and max are 3-4 in the east behind crosby and ovechkin, with drury at 7th, vanek at 14th for forwards. campbell is #1 defensive vote getter and tallinder is 7th. and somehow miller is #1 in goalie votes ahead of brodeur

so right now, 5 of our 7 players on the ballot would be in the game…not too bad for the sabres :tup:

Well toronto is planning on doing it next year, their temps arent that much lower than here, we will have to see how they make out.

lol… yes, I realize it’s regulated. In fact, I even know how. A fancy system of pipes is run inside the cement that is under the ice. Coolant is chilled and circulated through the pipes.

You’re talking about at least 10000 gallons of water at 8.33 pounds per gallon… 41.65 TONS.

You’re not going to slap together some temporary frame to run the coolant system in and have the ice on top of it, and you’re not going to bury the coolant system in the Bills very expensive field.

Face it, it’s a cool idea, but the logistics behind it are unreasonable for this area.

Lets see if they pull it off here:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2006/12/18/2859139-sun.html

ummm outside of the starters I thought that everyone else was picked by the players

or im wrong?

they changed it to like the NBA (i think) where everything goes by fan voting

12 forwards (4 lines)
6 defense (3 pair)
3 goalies (1 per period)

so top 12 votes for forwards dress, top 6 defense, and top 3 goalies…

Well, the power play, or lack there of, has officially become a big problem. It was completely the difference in the game tonight.And and Huet > Miller, at least tonight.

Yea we sucked on the power plays as they flourished tonight. Miller was somewhat dissapointing tonight. 4 out of the 5 goals were pretty easy goals to block and he just wasnt quick enough with closing his legs or dropping back in net.Huet is a pretty fuckin good goal tender and did exactly what he needed to do on his end.Our offense was decent in the first period but then Huet started makin big saves and everyone was shooting right on with him over and over. I mean latey our defense have been scoring our goals , and our offense and thats saying something , there not doing anything out of the ordinary .We had no creative shots or plays like Briere and Afinogenov are known for creating.Over all we played lousy and we didnt deserve to win the game. Hopefully we regain a little respect and confidence against the predators and the blues and then murder ovechkin and the capitals on the 26th.

i saw that game it was awesome!