Official Fitness/Lifting/Food/Bodybuilding thread.

I posted a thread a while back and had more people responding than I thought here, that were knowledgeable in this arena.
#ruaware #misc

What are you doing? Where do you go? bulking? cutting? bodybuilding? powerlifting? whats the diet like? Do you even?

Lets chat bruhs.

I’m bulking all the time. No lifting, just a shitty diet causing gains. I definitely even.

In all seriousness, I would like to learn a thing or two about eating healthy and being more active (cutting etc). My dad bod is hitting critical mass.

I switched to paleo from low carb about a month ago and dropped 5lbs. Much easier diet regime to keep up with. Healthy carbs, ton of protein and veggies.

I typically lift heavy 3-4 times a week and bicycle 2-3 times a week.

Cutting in its most basic definition is just a caloric deficit…see what your maintenance caloric level is like as a base…add 500/day to bulk, subtract 500/day to cut.
It gets more complicated… you can’t do that forever, because after a few weeks that new lower level if you change nothing else becomes your new maintenance level.

If you aren’t going to lift, just keep it basic with meats/greens/and some sort of carb for meals, don’t over do it with seasonings (Flavor God is my fav, plus maybe some coconut oil or even EVOO), sauces, sodium, all that jazz. You just have to be more cautious of caloric intake since you’re not going go be burning anymore ny doing extra physical activity.
This is super basic - the best thing you can do is self-educate, then just try anything…stick with it for a few weeks, then change things past that based on how you feel/what results you see, IMO.

went to Paleo a couple years ago. did strict for about 6 months and coupled with a lot of exercise, dropped about 65 pounds. Today i’d say I do about 80/20 Paleo as it’s just hard to stay strict with all the travel for work and stuff that comes up. I lift at home in the warm months and either go to Catalyst or LA Fitness when it’s shitty out or cold but whatever the case I do work out every single day. I mostly do olympic lifting which goes hand in hand with a lot of crossfit workouts that I love to do. I don’t count calories or weigh anything I eat as much as I want, whenever I want but I do eat clean as hell. The only thing that gets me is beer. I have 2 and i feel like i put on 5 pounds and i’m bloated for hours. Summer months are definitely the best for eating with the farmers markets. I go to Bidwell on Saturdays and Caz park on Sundays and I get everything i eat for the week from there. Can’t recommend the market enough

daaaamn, 65lbs is serious @tearsofnorris
pic of home gym setup?

PPL.
Counting macros lately.
Looking to lean out a little

~3 years ago I was attending a crossfit class 5 times a week, eating extremely clean (75% paleo, cheat meal once a week, pizza/ice cream) weighed in at ~180lbs. felt amazing. Fell off the wagon so to say and was close to 220lbs.
Now, I’m 210lbs, attending my crossfit gym about 3-4 times a week and eating relatively healthy

I’m at work 13-14 hours a day including commute
I try to get 6 smaller meals a day which include, plain greek yogurt with added fruit, cottage cheese, 3-5oz of chicken, salmon+rice, lean ground beef burgers with no bread, walnuts/almonds, some sort of green veggie etc.
Two things that haven’t helped my weight loss would be, my love of 2% milk, and coffee creamer.
I have about 2 cheat meals a week (panda express/pizza/or a burger from 5 guys)

People can saw what they want about crossfit, but honestly, it really helps me… the motivation of being in a class setting really helps me knock out reps that I don’t want to do, and wouldn’t do on my own.

My lifts are meh for someone my weight:
-315lb bench press x2 (haven’t done a 1 rep in a long time, assuming I’m around 325-330 1rm)
-420lb deadlift x3 (haven’t tried heavier, i’m assuming my 1 rep would be ~450ish)
-395lbs squat (past parallel, none of that shallow squat bs)
-215lbs clean&jerk (this is not good at all, my technique is not great…this is a movement i really want to work on)

A word of advice I can give to people, when people say 80% nutrition, 20% gym… that’s pretty damn accurate. When I weighed in at 180 lbs, I felt amazing, had a lot of energy and was able to power through workouts.

DIet plans are great… but I just do the rule of thumb… stay away from processed shit, eat close to or at your body weight in protein, stay away from simple carbs (like fucking olive garden breadsticks) and get a good night sleep

I started working out for the first time EVER in January when my wife and I found a trainer offering a 90 day challenge. It was a nutrition plan and working out 6-7 days a week with them, and at home the remaining days. I went from 230lbs to 200lbs during the 90 days. The Before and after pictures we did were pretty dramatic. Since then, we now work out 2-4 time a week at the gym, and still eat following the plan, which is similar to Paleo, but we also do without refined sugar. Since the end of the program, I’ve lost another 5-10lbs and maintain around 193, which is where I wanted to be. We don’t do much heavy lifting at this time, so I’m not bulked up, but my energy levels have increased dramatically, as well as overall health.

And I would agree that 80% nutrition and 20% gym is pretty spot on.

@snowracer101 those are good #s for your lifts!

you’re squatting 395 deep? then 5guys isn’t a cheat if you go double bacon cheeseburger with jalepenos, its just delicious gains.

It’s a simple setup. All Rogue. Squat rack, Ohio bar, 235 in weights, 20 lb wall ball, 1.5 pd KB, speed rope, 24 inch box, and my baby, a concept 2 rower. I can do just about everything I want at home unless it’s heavy day. My squat is currently at 525, deadlift is at 750. Snatch, cleans, jerks, OHS, front squat, etc are all under 300 so I do those at home.

I am counting calories with MFP. I play hockey 3-4 hours a week and do pushups and sit ups daily. I’m down 25lbs since July 1. Keeping with the strict diets isn’t reasonable for most people to stick with long term. I can still eat bad foods once in a while and keep under my calories to keep losing.

Solid numbers.
I’d try some crossfit but my gym is small and 24/7 so it’s too convenient for me.
I really just need to work on my diet aspect of things.

I’ve been lifting at the new World’s Gym in Tonawanda. Me and my girl joined before it opened and are locked in at $8.99/month. Nobody can touch that price. Too bad the gym is full of retards from 5pm-7:30pm which is typically when we go. Groups of broskis that go clubbing all weekend. It dies out after 7:30. Has a nice selection of equipment too. It’s open 24hrs for 5 days which is sweet if you can take advantage of it.

I’m getting too old and banged up to push myself through any plateaus though. Just trying to maintain what I have, more into bodybuilding than powerlifting. Got into arm wrestling a few months ago at Choda’s house and my elbows still hurt like a mofo. A typical chest day for me goes like this…take 2 Tylenol 45 minutes prior, take 4 ibuprophen 20 minutes prior, put TigerBalm on both shoulders and a little on each elbow. Put on compression shirt to hold the heat in. Slam an energy drink and some PWO and game on! Do some warm-ups and work my way up to some sets of 315, then off to some incline dumbbells. Chest day is the only day when I pop the pills just so you don’t think I take them all week or anything. TigerBalm is a lifesaver though for my training.

My girl shoots vids here and there of us training, here’s one from a few weeks ago:

I eat like crazy. I have some psycho metabolism, and i’m outside all day, basically doing cardio for work. So no diet advice from me, unless you are a classic hardgainer, then I can try to help you out. Anybody else that tries to eat like me would probably turn into a 300lb slob.

those are some dirty numbers. 750 deadlift. holy shit. is that with wraps and stuff?

just wrist wraps, no straps or belts. I try to never go heavy unless the programming calls for it. Probably once every other month

I need to juice it up, its not worth the effort i was putting in for the gains i was getting lol. I did get good gains from legal prohormones, i was eating 6 meals a day around 3,500 calories a day and going to bed at 10pm religiously not drinking any alcohol.

Once i stopped everything, as in working out and eating i only lost 10-13lbs, it wasnt worth the life style i was living being tied down to food constantly to only be 13lbs heavier and people not beliveing i even lift lol

Im a hardgainer with a small frame, so when im wearing shirts my muscles like disappeared unless they were tight and i looked like a fggt.

Anyways i stopped to work on my car and now in the 2yrs ive owned it im only a week away from driving it. Soon ill probably workout again and live the miserable eating every 3hrs and sleepiing at 10pm every night life. But hopefully with more gainz.

Hardgainers unite!

If you only gained a little bit on 3500 calories, up your calories to 4000 and don’t be so strict in what you eat. Just make sure your protein intake is in check. Don’t go and eat 350 grams of protein or anything like that, but keep it high like 200-250 grams. I can eat whatever I want, and if I feel like i’m starting to get “sloppy” (lose abs, and lose vascularity), I can clean my diet up for 2 days or so, and everything pops back into place. Make sure you are getting enough water/fluids into you as well.

• Updated - - -

That is a psycho deadlift right there! Are you one of those midget dudes with long arms that only has to move the bar like 5" or so?

I was on permabulk and still didnt gain much. Everyday i had a steak and mac and cheese at like 9:30pm before bed. I ended up losibg my appetite from constantly eating when i was never hungry. Literally never was hungry because i ate every 3hours force feeding myself. I got sick of eating steak and mac and cheese. It could have been the prohormones causing me to lose my appetite but hard to say.

hahah

man 750 is crazy. I can DL like 455-475 currently for 2 reps and thats more than prob 95 or so percent of my gym…650+ is srs…do you compete?