Official MythBusters "PLANE on a CONVEYOR" episode PARTY!!! (12/12/07 @ 8pm)

[quote=“943kgt,post:359,topic:37453"”]

quite the comeback

[/quote]

Not like explaining it would work for you anyway. It’d be like trying to teach Calculus to your dog.

let me try…

yes, wind creates the lift off…but, does the plane go from holding still, to airborn? no…it has to move forward first to generate the wind on it’s own for itself…what then propels the plan in the forward motion? please, nobody answer for him…he can do it…what causes the forward motion in the plan, NOT the lift…we’re taking baby steps…how does the plane go from sitting still to moving forward…

[quote=“90NA300ZX,post:362,topic:37453"”]

let me try…

yes, wind creates the lift off…but, does the plane go from holding still, to airborn? no…it has to move forward first to generate the wind on it’s own for itself…what then propels the plan in the forward motion? please, nobody answer for him…he can do it…what causes the forward motion in the plan, NOT the lift…we’re taking baby steps…how does the plane go from sitting still to moving forward…

[/quote]

if the plane moves forward with the wheels contacting the conveyer belt, then the conveyer isnt matching the speed is it?

and who puts a limit on “how far” the plane moves forward to “generate” this wind. If it moves forward how is it any different from taking off from an aircraft carrier? now now nobody else answer for him, he can do it on his own.

No, let me try :slight_smile:

Funny, that has no wheels, no starting forward movement (Yes, it is going the same speed as the plane but I would assume because gravity is pulling it down thats overcoming the friction which gives it “lift”, aka its speed is irrelevant because its not being used to help push it forward? Maybe?) and no lift, but when those fucking engines go, WHOOSH, it fires!

[quote=“943kgt,post:363,topic:37453"”]

if the plane moves forward with the wheels contacting the conveyer belt, then the conveyer isnt matching the speed is it?

[/quote]

answer the fucking question…

forget about the belt or anything like that. a normal plane on a normal runway.

what causes the plane to move forward?

[quote=“Geoff,post:352,topic:37453"”]

the wheels can be spinning negative eleventybilliontrillion pineapples/hour (it’s completely irrelevant), and the plane will still claw its way forward via the engines, which have nothing to do with the ground.

What’s stopping the plane from moving??? Spinning wheels?? NO, NOTHING IS STOPPING THE PLANE FROM MOVING!!! The plane will MOVE FORWARD the same as it would if it were on a stationary runway.

[/quote]

the plane according to the question, as i understand it, is not to move forward or backward on the conveyer belt. clawing its way forward would make this experiment bullshit

thrust from jet engines, answer my fucking question, what causes a plane to lift ?

this school bus definetly has a jet engine…does it lift off the ground? why not?

[quote=“943kgt,post:367,topic:37453"”]

the plane according to the question, as i understand it, is not to move forward or backward on the conveyer belt. clawing its way forward would make this experiment bullshit

[/quote]

the question is “a plane is sitting on a conveyor belt, as the wheels move the belt matches the speed of the wheels. will the plane take off”

so u clearly dont under stand the question no where does it say the plane is not moving you are assuming because the conveyor is matching the speed of the wheels that the plane will not take off. the wheels have nothing to do with it at all.

and you still didnt answer his question what moves the plane???

[quote=“943kgt,post:368,topic:37453"”]

thrust from jet engines, answer my fucking question, what causes a plane to lift ?

this school bus definetly has a jet engine…does it lift off the ground? why not?

[/quote]

cause it dosent have wings or such for the lift to take effect on moron its a school bus

[/quote]

you clearly dont know how to read

[/quote]

Thurst will result in forward motion. Since the thrust is acting against the air, NOT the wheels and the treadmill, the plane will continue to accelerate until it has enough speed to create lift. The bus does not lift off because it does not posses the correct aerodynamics to create lift.

For those that still cannot grasp this simple physics question, please check out the following link for a demonstration:

[/quote]

we’re taking this one step at a time noob…

so we agree that thrust from jet engines makes the plane move in the forward motion…very good!

on to the next question…

we know wind against the wings generates the lift to get the plan in the air…where does this wind from from?

i’ll make this a multiple choice question for you to avoid any confusion:

The wind generating the lift comes from:

A - Mother Nature

B - the plane moving forward.

Hint:

when you ride your bicycle, on a perfectly calm day…if you go any speed above 3mph, do you feel any kind of breeze on your face?

[quote=“Tunerfreak,post:369,topic:37453"”]

the question is “a plane is sitting on a conveyor belt, as the wheels move the belt matches the speed of the wheels. will the plane take off”

so u clearly dont under stand the question no where does it say the plane is not moving you are assuming because the conveyor is matching the speed of the wheels that the plane will not take off. the wheels have nothing to do with it at all.

and you still didnt answer his question what moves the plane???

[/quote]

The original question is this:

“A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?”

It’s not the wheels the conveyor must match it’s the plane…

[quote=“rdandy5875,post:374,topic:37453"”]

The original question is this:

“A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?”

It’s not the wheels the conveyor must match it’s the plane…

[/quote]

:word: this is how i understand it, the plane is stationary, the conveyor belt matches the speed

^^^ hey stupid, if the plane is stationary theres no speed to match !

Thanks to 943kgt, I’ve lost all hope for the human race (what little I had left). I’m going over to the emo forums and will cry myself to sleep tonight.

Oh yeah, this was also a meet thread originally. If you want to continue this pointless argument, please do so in the correct thread.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39105