Official Toyota cheats thread

[quote=“fiend540,post:15,topic:24567"”]

I doubt it considering they handed out fines/suspensions to multiple teams/brands.

[/quote]

Yeah, but the fines/suspension for basically the same thing were doubled for Toyota. Double the fines for a new team to the series? Suspend their chief and team top guy INDEFINITELY? For what? Some “substance” that they saw on the manifold that they can’t identify even after taking the car to their R&D lab? A substance that so far has proven to do nothing to help the car as it was slow anyway?

No they’re not out to get Toyota :gotme:

P.S. Listened to the radio today with a NASCAR show, rumor has it the substance was “jet fuel”. :roll:

[quote=“JayS,post:16,topic:24567"”]

If I knew the difference between anecdote and antidote my friend Billy Smith might still be alive today.

re: impression v. impersonation

[/quote]

im·pres·sion /ɪmˈprɛʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[im-presh-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.a strong effect produced on the intellect, feelings, conscience, etc. 2.the first and immediate effect of an experience or perception upon the mind; sensation. 3.the effect produced by an agency or influence. 4.a notion, remembrance, belief, etc., often of a vague or indistinct nature: He had a general impression of lights, voices, and the clinking of silver. 5.a mark, indentation, figure, etc., produced by pressure. 6.an image in the mind caused by something external to it. 7.the act of impressing; state of being impressed. 8.Dentistry. a mold taken, in plastic materials or plaster of Paris, of teeth and the surrounding tissues. 9.an imitation of the voice, mannerisms, and other traits of a person, esp. a famous person, as by an entertainer: The comedian did a hilarious impression of the president.

wouldnt that cause a backfire? danger to the manifold?

Hilarious. WRC, F1, and now Nascar, way to go Toyota!

Scumbags.

[quote=“MHill,post:22,topic:24567"”]

im·pres·sion …snip…

[/quote]

Me = owned :slight_smile: :nite:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/The_Cheat.png/181px-The_Cheat.png.

people shouldnt really be initially blaming this on Toyota. Michael Waltrip Racing are the ones that should take the blame. While they are the main Toyota team fielding 3 cars all together, there are 2 or 3 other teams that are fielding Toyotas as well.

Now, to the common person, this gets blamed on Toyota because it just happens to be the big innovative team that is pushing Toyota in the sport and did all of the R&D for Toyota’s Nascar program. 3 of Ray Evernham’s teams got penalized as well (for something much smaller, which is a whole other argument that I could get into) but you see people talking about “Ray Evernham’s teams getting penalties” not “Dodge got a penalty.”

Back to Toyota…I say initially because I have nothing that says Toyota didn’t tell MCR to do something to make the cars better. I also find it absolutely hilarious that even with the jet fuel in the gas tank and whatever other stuff they had on the car that they shouldn’t have, the #55 car still qualified horribly.

Disclaimer: I am a fairly avid NASCAR fan and in no way, shape or form, support any of the Toyota NASCAR teams.

[quote=“Rx3,post:21,topic:24567"”]

Yeah, but the fines/suspension for basically the same thing were doubled for Toyota. Double the fines for a new team to the series? Suspend their chief and team top guy INDEFINITELY? For what? Some “substance” that they saw on the manifold that they can’t identify even after taking the car to their R&D lab? A substance that so far has proven to do nothing to help the car as it was slow anyway?

No they’re not out to get Toyota :gotme:

P.S. Listened to the radio today with a NASCAR show, rumor has it the substance was “jet fuel”. :roll:

[/quote]

the other teams where caught which small body mods. 1 being a hole that was covered with duct tape the tape fell off and the other was holes drilled into the floor to allow air to excape. i dont think those were as bad as putting a substance in ur mani to make more power.

Yeah, but the fines/suspension for basically the same thing were doubled for Toyota.

[/quote]

Both Casey kane and Matt Kenseth faced the same fines/punishment but of different reasons (aero/chassis reasons). The only reason waltrips car was impounded was due to the unknown fuel additive. He would be able to race if his backup car past inspection.

Double the fines for a new team to the series? Suspend their chief and team top guy INDEFINITELY? For what? Some “substance” that they saw on the manifold that they can’t identify even after taking the car to their R&D lab? A substance that so far has proven to do nothing to help the car as it was slow anyway?

[/quote]

They aren’t a new team this season they ran dodges last year. Both of the other two crew chiefs are suspended as well as fined. The car hasn’t been to the R&D lab because this happened Tuesday and they are in florida. I suspect the car is there by now.

It’d be nice if someone’d tell us what the substance is/was,
I think that they should have waited to see what it was before penalties and fines got stuck on…
This sucks for Waltrip… First year for his vehicle, new race team, and now him and his team start 100 points and 100,000 lighter and there isn’t a race… we now know who’s at the bottom of the points race at -100 while many others are at 0

[quote=“Jagermeister,post:18,topic:24567"”]

Do you have Pit credentials by chance or just race tickets?

[/quote]

I miss the old days when my uncle was the marketing manager for Chevrolet. We used to get everything at all the races (Daytona, Indy, etc) for free. Pit passes, Garage passes, Chevy Hospitality tent, etc. Too bad I was a little too young to appreciate it.

[quote=“MPD47,post:24,topic:24567"”]

Hilarious. WRC, F1, and now Nascar, way to go Toyota!

Scumbags.

[/quote]

I don’t think you can judge Toyota based on this, because there are 5 or 6 other Toyota teams that didn’t have any “substance” on their car. This is Michael Waltrip’s team and Waltrip’s team only. Even though they share engines, each team does their own preperation.

[quote=“73ghia,post:30,topic:24567"”]

It’d be nice if someone’d tell us what the substance is/was,

[/quote]

[quote=“fiend540,post:29,topic:24567"”]

Both Casey kane and Matt Kenseth faced the same fines/punishment but of different reasons (aero/chassis reasons). The only reason waltrips car was impounded was due to the unknown fuel additive. He would be able to race if his backup car past inspection.

They aren’t a new team this season they ran dodges last year. Both of the other two crew chiefs are suspended as well as fined. The car hasn’t been to the R&D lab because this happened Tuesday and they are in florida. I suspect the car is there by now.

[/quote]

Good points, you’re right.

According to reports I’ve read, the “substance” was an oxygenate; a component similar to what is found in jet fuel. In simple terms the susbtance is supposed to be pulled in through the fuel and allows the fuel to increase octane, thereby allowing the engine to run better and gain horsepower.

Oh come on, they were banned from WRC, they scrutinized for stealing software in F1, they clearly are a bunch of scumbags. I’m not pulling from just this incident.

[quote=“MPD47,post:33,topic:24567"”]

Oh come on, they were banned from WRC, they scrutinized for stealing software in F1, they clearly are a bunch of scumbags. I’m not pulling from just this incident.

[/quote]

:lol: All toyota is doing is providing the engines, the teams are responsible for what they do with them Toyota Hatr :slight_smile:

I’m not saying they aren’t guilty of cheating in F1 or WRC.

:wink: Toyota/Scott Speed/AWD hater for lyfeeeeee :rofl:

Toyota issues warning to teams: Robin Pemberton, NASCAR’s vice president for competition, was emphatic this [the #55 infraction and penalty] was a team issue and not a Toyota issue. While embarrassed over the incident, Toyota officials insisted they would maintain a relationship with MWR. “This is not the way you want to enter NASCAR’s Nextel Cup Series by any means,” said Jim Aust, the president and CEO of Toyota Racing Development. “For this to happen to him is extremely disappointing and extremely disappointing to Toyota. … He has certainly apologized to just about anybody that would be associated with his organization. He’s beside himself with what’s happened.” Toyota isn’t resting on an [Waltrip] apology. Company officials are expected to send a letter out to all Toyota teams next week stating Waltrip’s organization has used two of the company’s three strikes. The next team that crosses the line will face the loss of the manufacturer’s support. Lee White, the senior vice president for TRD, said TRD worked with NASCAR throughout the process. “I can honestly tell you from an ethics standpoint and integrity, along with character and honesty, those things are paramount in our company,” he said. “We hold ourselves to a high standard and we hold our teams to high standards. We hope we’ve picked the right ones.”(ESPN.com)

AND: Jim Aust, vice president or Toyota Racing Development, was asked if this was his worst nightmare. “I would say that’s pretty close to accurate,” Aust said. “This is a week we had looked forward to for many years. To begin this way certainly takes some of the limelight and happiness out of it.” It also doesn’t help the Toyota guys win over some NASCAR followers who didn’t want them here in the first place. That marketing campaign just got a lot tougher.(ESPN.com)(2-14-2007)

Michael Waltrip’s Statement: Michael Waltrip’s statement regarding the NASCAR penalties handed down this evening to the #55 Michael Waltrip Racing entry: “In the past 12 months, Michael Waltrip Racing has hired more than 150 people and we currently employ more than 200. Although we have grown at an accelerated pace, it has been our mission to hire people with high moral value and character to properly represent our sponsors and our ownership. During preparations for the 2007 season and especially the 2007 Daytona 500, I specifically requested that our competition teams not disrespect NASCAR, our competitors or our sponsors by blatantly circumventing the rules. This is not the action of an organization, a manufacturer or a sponsor. This was an independent act done without consent or authorization from me or any of my executive management team. As an owner, I realize I am ultimately held responsible for the actions of my employees. Therefore, I accept the penalties issued tonight by NASCAR. I respect NASCAR’s rules, its people and the sport’s integrity, which is why I am so sad and embarrassed. I am dedicated to get to the bottom of this because I will not let the independent act of an individual or individuals tarnish the incredible accomplishment my organization has made to be where we are today. I want to apologize to the other owners, who know how hard I’ve worked to get here in such a short period of time, NASCAR, Toyota, NAPA, all my sponsors, the drivers and especially the fans.”(MWR PR)(2-14-2007)

So, Toyota blames MWR. Michael Waltrip then blames a new employee. In the end, it looks bad for both Toyota and MWR.

[quote=“mindless,post:28,topic:24567"”]

the other teams where caught which small body mods. 1 being a hole that was covered with duct tape the tape fell off and the other was holes drilled into the floor to allow air to excape. i dont think those were as bad as putting a substance in ur mani to make more power.

[/quote]

And that’s probably the same mentality the inspectors have. But the fact of the matter is that aero mods can improve a car MORE than engine mods. “He’s got one of them dem der supped up engines with that “jet-fuel””. Those stupid fucks understand that more power = faster, but aero = :shrug:

So last year Jimmy Johnson’s team was accused of cheating in the Daytona qualifying with an illegal aero mod. IIRC correctly he got either 0 or 25 points and his crew chief suspended for 4 races.

By no means am I a supporter of Michael Waltrip, the problem is the inconstancy in the punishments dealt by NASCAR. I mean if that was Junior they would give him a slap on the wrist behind the garage.

Pemberton, a former crew chief, called the violation as blatant as any in recent memory.

“We were certainly insulted, for sure,” he said.

NASCAR inspectors discovered an unspecified substance in the intake manifold prior to Sunday’s qualifying. The team was given the opportunity to install a new manifold for qualifying and the same substance was discovered again.

The car was then impounded and the intake manifold sent to NASCAR’s Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C. The entire car now will be sent to Concord for further investigation.

Pemberton would not disclose the name of the substance, which he described as clear and Vaseline-like and found in the fuel system.
“We have not seen anything like this in the past,” he said. “It is certainly not something that belongs in the engine. It’s not something that is common.”

Trying to follow this i ran across the Car of tomorrow, has anyone else seen this thing? It is less aerodynamic to encourage more passes.