Oil change intervals? When do you change yours?

How often do you wait to get oil changes?

I usually get one every 5K miles or so… but have went up to 10K+ (and even seen some over that with no problems what so ever). I read an article (possibly posted on here) that car manufacturers are actually upping the required interval to 8K-12K miles on newer vehicles that come with full synthetic oil from the factory… possibly due to oil costs and increased technology.

Aren’t dry sump oil systems designed to go even further?

obviously you should do it more frequent if you beat the shit out of your car /disclaimer

I go about 3.5-4k miles on full synthetic. I know that i could probably go a lot farther, but with the warranty i need to have receipts showing i get it done within the ‘recommended intervals’. It’s already paid for a new engine, dont wanna f up the possibility of another :wink:

3000 on the daily, 1500 on the toy.

Same

I change my oil when i floor it and the oil pressure drops because it is low on oil.(serious)

3000 on the daily, 2000 on the toy

3,500 intervals. But i’m at 7,500 right now and I havent had a chance to run to the store.

Wait a minute…

You actually have to change the oil?

Weird.

2-2.5k but the car is driven less than 5k a year so its really no big deal

Im at 3500, and will have it changed on thursday at about 3800

It depends on how long I plan on keeping the vehicle.
I would put Mobil One in a lease car and never change it after that.:biglaugh:

5000, dinosaur oil.

Redline + sub 150k mile non-turbo Japanese motors = my cars get 10k intervals.

3-3.5K ON THE DAILY

In the beginning of the season on the toy…and then every 3k

heh, I’m surprised that some people change it so frequently.

no doubt you want to take care of your hotrods, but I’m amazed that there aren’t more 5K+ people

I change it at about 4-5 points on my scale.

a track day = 1 point
1000 miles = 1 point

3K on all the DDs. once a year on the fun cars; which is less than 1000 miles. I use mobil 1 on my srt and daytona, royal purple on my charger, and dino on my wife’s VUe.

The reason the manufacturers are raising the mileage between changes is to lower the maintenance costs of the vehicle. Dodge and Toyota both got burned on this because some of their engines were sludging up if you went more than 3K between changes. Also they require lower mileage between changes for their sever duty maintenance schedule. According to most owner’s manuals ever thing you do is severe duty.

never, thats what warranties are for

realistically every 3-4k

3 months on both my vehicles

DD -1500/2k

evo- about 1000 miles lol