Synthetic question

Is there a time-interval on sythetic oils?

Like how the rule of thumb for conventional oil is 3months/3,000 miles, but if i can go up to 7,000 on my synthetic oil whats the monthly change interval, still 3months or higher?

so many other factors. size of the engine vs. quarts of oil stored… driving style… climate… oil filter quality / size…

generally speaking, yes you can go longer on synthetic… but there is no solid number, get oil analysis done if you want to know for sure.

“Quit thinking with you’re dipstick jimmy”

I use Redline and just change it every 10k. It works out to like every 6-8 months.

word. i change my oil twice a year…filter once.

that’s what i’ve got in now, i’m changing it at 6k just because its the first change since switching over to synthetic and incase theres any residual conventional oil in there (mostly just peace of mind).

does redline say you can go to 10k, i thought their website said 7.5k

while I don’t doubt the oil is good for 10k, what about the oil filter? that can’t be good for that long.

Meh. I use OEM filters from the dealership. I wouldn’t trust junk like fram, but I figure it’s fine. :gotme:

Im not sure what the new edge is using but we were told we wont need a oil change til 7500. Im guessing synthetic blend.

I run synthetic in my Cummins. I change the oil when the analysis tells me to. I change the filter every 5000 miles per the Cummins manual. Right now I have 18,000 miles on the oil without a change, the analysis says “the oil is suitable for further service.” Big money savings over conventional in the long run.

Who do you guys suggest for oil analysis?

I’ll probably still end up changing the oil in the GTO every 3500-4000 just because I beat on it and only drive like 8k a year.

A guy named Terry Dyson does a great job, he is well known. He gives a full report, and oil recommendation based on the wear he sees…

His report costs a little more money, but once a year its worth it.

i was running eneos synthetic and changing it like every 4k miles, along with a new oem honda filter every oil change

i think it was like 8-9bucks a quart, and i need 4.5 quarts, not really a savings for me lol

i was changing oil so soon because my rings are taking a poo n im burning oil :meh:

so im just running conventional penzoil now :frowning: motor only has 130k on it

Type of engine and driving style are huge factors. I use Royal Purple in the TT and change it every 5K or so. On the other hand, in the RX7, I use Amsoil and change it every 1500-2000.