Oil Extractor?

What do you guys think about this device?

Link:

No more crawling under the car to drain your oil. Changing your own oil saves money, but it can also save waiting time and hassle–plus, you know the job is done right. And this is the easiest way to remove your old oil. Unit comes with two different tube sizes, to fit your car’s dipstick tube. After a few pumps to build a vacuum, oil flows from your crankcase into the canister.
If you’re skeptical about extracting oil through the dipstick tube, consider the fact that this is how Mercedes-Benz factory technicians are trained to change oil. A safety float shuts off flow if unit is full. Great for lawn mowers and motorcycles, too.
Capacity: 6.5 liters (about 7 quarts).

Saw this in the SkyMall catalog…en route to Buffalo…

Is this thing really works the way it is? :eekdance:

Price: $64.95

Not bad, considering Synthetic oil change is around $55+ everywhere…

yeah… infact if i want to change my oil on my own and not spend 100+bucks on it at the stealer i have to get one of those…

heres a thread that explains it and how useful it is

http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217250&highlight=change+oil

Damn, that’s pretty convenient. No wonder the oil filter is on the top of the motor on German cars.

yep I have one for the TDI… 1000 miles a week = oil changes monthly… ill still do one normal change ever once and awhile… and I keep a magnetic drain plug in there… but its nice not having to lift the car for an oil change…

holy fuck. i was literally thinking about this concept tuesday morning driving to work. that’s some shit.

We had a few of those at my shop. Used them for quite a few different things. You can find them much cheaper than $65 but still not bad for the price.

:banghead::fail:

oh shit!

i forgot one thing important: changing the oil filter!

damn…with the hondas…you still have to go down anyway…

just realized that…it is not the case with my civic… :stuck_out_tongue:

The brand that you want is mityvac.

A few guys on bobistheoil guy use them all the time.

My only worry would be not getting all the crap out of the bottom of the pan.

You can get them cheaper on ebay.

amazon has the mity vac one for like $50ish…

Been using something very similar for 6 years on my boat since it’s impossible to get to the drain plug and even if you could there’s no where to put a drain pan.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/268534/377%20710/0/oil%20extractor/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=oil%20extractor&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=oil%20extractor&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=169&classNum=170

I used that one on the Fiero just before pulling the pan so I could see exactly how much it was getting out and was really impressed with how little was left in the pan. It was pretty much completely dry.

But unless you can get to your oil filter from the top of the car it’s pretty pointless on a car. You gotta get under there anyway.

Yeah I agree.

I might get one for my saturn, as it has the cartridge filter on top, but for most other cars it doesn’t make sense.

Meh, you could run more frequent dino changes w/o filter pretty easily. IE Oil every 3k, oil+filter every 6k

hmm, was just checking prices out for this, as i definitely will be ordering it… and came across another one of their products that piqued my interest…
:

anyone have any experience with this one?

we use these at work to drain various fluids all the time, like power steering, trans ext

thats pretty cool, never though of that before. Even nicer on the focus I can reach the filter without needing to get under the car.