Oil smells of gas.

Ok so I went to change my oil the other day and noticed it has a smell of gas to it. Im just wondering since the car idles and runs the same as it always has what could this be from? could running to rich cause this, are the rings going. No other fuids mix the coolant is clean. And the dip stick stays in all the way no matter how the car is driven (which i hear is a common problem if ur piston rings are going?) and since im not sure what else to look for any help is welcome… oh ya… the motor is an S13 SR20det.

Thanks. :?

Double-check to make sure the smell is coming from the oil itself. If it really is, then I can’t imagine it being anything other than the rings unfortunately, unless you could have had fuel on your hands or somehow gotten some on the dipstick or something.

After the above i’d say do a compression test, and then take it from there. Hope everything works out…

Good luck.

yup, your rings are fried… this just happened to me and at least 2 other members.

my car ran for a few months like this, just change your oil more often like every 1500km’s or more and start saving for the new block or a rebuild.