Opinion on Tires

i had some Yokohama ES100’s priced for me today. $125 installed and balanced. Im dont know much about tires, good price bad price? decent tire? should i get something else?

Edit: 205/60/15

that seems like an alright price

decent tire, price seems good as well, go for it

Uhhh for all 4? Since they are $80US on tirerack That has to be for one right? If so I think you could do better price wise.

I have the ES100’s and IMO they are one of the best tires in thier price range. So far I love them. The only other tire in that ballpark you might consider would be the Kumho Ecsta SPT.

yes thats for 1.

$80 is like $90 or so canadian, plus shipping, that’ll be around the same price will it not?

Don’t get 205/60/15 if you plan to track your car.

That’s what I had and it ate away at the sidewall in 3 track days. Go 205/50/15.

Thats really small and looks goofy IMO.

Go with the stock size and just giver, You just need to lern how to drive on them.

How often do you track your car vs. How often do you drive it on the street?

Tires are cheaper in the US regardless.

$125 mounted and and ballanced for a NEW ES100 is a good deal.

Yeah that’s a pretty good deal. Tire Depot or Tires23 gave you that price?

where are u getting this deal? wanna tell us?

yeah thats a damn good deal, i bought the exactly same tires about 6 months ago or so and i called EVERY (14 of them) yokohama dealer in mississauga, oakville, burlington, brampton, etc. and the best price I got was $550 installed/balanced/tax included + disposal of old tires

so thats a bit more than you’re paying @ 125 which is a very good price for buying within canada

if you wanna take a drive over the border you could get them for probably $90/each, print yourself a receipt for $100 for all 4 before you leave and you’ll have them here for about $105 canadian each… then just get them installed and balanced for $40 and you’re good to go :smiley:

you save $100 or so, probably not worth the efforts :smiley:

Yeah those are good tires and a good price.

To add to what’s been said here, 205/50s are just too small, and 205/60s are too tall. Get 205/55s and you won’t be disappointed.

In case the same shop carries BFGoodrich, the gForce Sports are really worth looking at, and usually are a couple bucks cheaper. They’re what I’ve been running for the last couple seasons and I just bought another set.

i got two Falkens ZE512 or whatever its called in 205/60/15 for $165…for a pair…

i don’t know how good or bad these are, but they’re really sticky. so its a thumbs up by me.

i would say the ES100s are a good daily driver tire, but not if you drift or track your car.

tehy are ok to run in the front, but after 50% or so, they get really greasy and start to chunk like a mofo.

but thats if you track your car, if not then no worries. i could go on about how many ppl have had problems with these tires but i won’t.

tires are like shoes, just gotta try them out and see what fits your style.

if your going to go for such a pricey tire, might as well get Falken 452.

they last forever and grip better than the ES100s (from wat i hear from the ppl who have tried the FK 452). Those will be my next tires once i get more funds.

Im getting the tires from Hanfords tire and service. the owner is a friend of my dads so i get the dealios.

is there really that big of a difference between 205/55 and 205/60? thats only like a centimeter difference.

Edit: i have crappy snowtires for the back when i drift. i only have 3 now cause i put a hole in one tonight :roll: . but they would only be front for drift. i dont track my car alot anyway.

55 series and 60 series is almost a night and day difference. even tho its just one size down, it makes a huge difference.

i would say get 55 series so less sidewall flex. or even better get 50 series.

wouldnt that throw off my speedo?

if your stock size is 60 series, it throws it off by 5% or less. nothing hugely noticable

i ran 50 series when my s14 is supposed to run 55.

no big deal

5% on both sidewalls, making it 10% in total, and if i got 50’s would be 20%.

that correct?

No. Here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The FK451/2s don’t come in 15s.

The Ziex 512s are NOT sticky… they’re all season tires, and bottom end ones at that.

Privided you’re looking for good treadlife and a sticky tire, you’re on the right track with the AVS ES100, but like I said, look into the gForce Sport. The Proxes 4 is also worth looking at.

i really don’t know the exact calculation.

but ive driven with a pair of 50s in the back and went side to side with my friends s14 who ran the proper tire and we were doing the same speed.

i really am not sure 100% but who needs a speedo?

go with traffic and you should be able to estimate how fast you are going anyways.