Opinions/Reviews/Criticisms needed Yokohama S

I’ve been going back and forth on two different tire setups. I have used Cooper for years. But, the Zeon 2XS is not available in my size. So I either mis-match tires (Back W-rated, Front H-rated), which I would rather not do, or go with a different tire all together.

Been looking around and found Yokohama carries my sizes in their S-drive series.

Anyone have any bad experiences? These will not be auto-x tires. Summer DD driving only.

FYI sizes are:
Frt - 225/35 18
Rr - 245/35 18

Or, if anyone else has a different suggestion I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

I hated these tires on my car. Performance wise they don’t provide for good traction and you will be all over the place.

But you say for a DD, and that is all I did with my car and hated them. Their so loud, sound like your wheels are about to fall off. Even louder as miles rack up.

Maybe others like them, but that’s my experience with them.

I have heard a large handful of very similar reviews…

Can you get the hankook ventus v12 evo in your size?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m leaning towards not even bothering with them.

I can get Hankook V12 in the 245/35 but not the 225/35. Nice thought though.

I can get BFGoodrich G-Force KDW2 in both sizes though…LAME…?

BTW, looking at Tirerack.

I have the S-Drive’s on my S4. For the money, they are fine. If they are loud, I have no idea as I can’t hear them over the 4" Turbo Back exhaust.

i had/ have s.drives on my Miata. I enjoyed them while they lasted. they barely lasted one summer due to all the camber wear. my opinions on them are probably mute because of the car they were on.

convertible=cant hear “loud” tires. i hate when people complain about tire noise. if you can hear the tires, youre car is too quiet. turn up the radio, drive faster, stop being a pussy.
Low as fuck = everything was scraping the ground so couldnt hear tires
low as fuck= gnarly camber wear

I do think they are great tires. they seemed awesome before the tread wear started to go due to camber. My main issue would probably be the tread life on a DD even with normal camber.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Jager knows whats up.

if your tires are loud, youre probably a pussy.

The reason I have stuck with Cooper Zeon 2XS was the fact they rode really well and lasted for a good number of seasons with moderatley agressive driving from time to time.

dont have any experience with those tires, but i agree with the second half of this statement. thats what is needed in a daily driven tire.

I have been running Cooper Zeon 2XS on my last two cars and Discoverer S/T on my last two trucks in the winter. Great tires and a great price too.

Here is what is available:

Yokohama S.drive
BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT
Falken FK 452
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Anyone have anything good to say about any of the above? I used Goodyear Eagle RS-A years ago, didn’t like them.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Supposedly Cooper carries a ZPT tire in 215/35 and 245/40 according to their site. I can probably get that to work…:shrug:

Still in for opinions though :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t a 225/40 be more appropriate with the 245/35 to keep the same overall OD/Circumference?

edit:

Numbers for thought:

245/35 = 24.8" dia / 77.8" cir
225/35 = 24.2" dia / 76.0" cir
225/40 = 25.1" dia / 78.8" cir

All hail the pussies then lol. Cause they could still be heard with basically no sound deadening in the car and open downpipe. If you can live daily with the sound of what you get with 4 fubared wheel bearings then :tup:

That sucks you can’t get the Hankook evo v12’s in the size you need. Now those are great for the price.

225/40 will hit the perch. 24.5" is probably the MAX I would go. The front is tricky.

I’ve heard only good things from the BFGs, wear and performance

If DZ 101s are available in your sizes that is what you should buy.

I’ve got a set of s.drives…they are a meh for me. Not bad but the sidewalls are a little softer than I like. I had 2 sets of BFG gforce sports before these that I liked.

I don’t have much useful input here, But I did get to try the Kuhmo XS end of last year. I was very pleased with their performance on a road course as it compares to the azeni 615 (old compound) more grip and longer wear. also much better in the rain. I have maybe 50 miles on the street but 300-400 on road course with them most of which was in heavy rain. Good grip when hot, decent grip cold, ok in the rain @100mph. I noticed the Kumho XS is not that much more expensive than what you are looking at and for the added grip for a summer car it might be worth entertaining the idea if you play hard.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :tup:

DZ 101’s come in 215/35 and 245/40. They also have a 255/35 which may also fit if I match sidewalls. Thanks Drew!