Yokohama S.drive, good purchase?

I’m looking to pick up some new tires in the next month and these are on the top of my list. The price is good and the reviews I have read seem positive for the price. Really the only negative point I’ve heard is noise which with my exhaust is not a big deal.

I’m also looking at Dunlop Direzza DZ101 and BFgoodrich G-force.

BF seems to have poor wear and people are saying the dunlop is poor in the rain.

Looking for some personal oppions on guys running them on S-chassis, I daily drive my car from april to the end of oct, about 20,000k a year and 3-4 lapping days. I’m looking to get a minimum of 2 years out of new tires.

I don’t have experience with any of the tires, but I can tell you I know guys who run S-drive on their oval track cars, and they seem to like them. Never heard a good thing about the BF.

I looked into the dunlops and they seem to be ok tires but have a high failure rate. tired wear too fast or side walls braking down. I opted out of those and went for some federal 595s from GB tires at twice the quality and almost the same price and love these tires. Great guy too.

I haven’t read much about federal, not carried by tirerack or 1010tire. I just read some reviews on other forums and they seem decent, good for the money kind of idea. Not many reviews on wear though. How many km’s do you have on them? Rain traction?

I run S-Drives in the summer daily driving, really good traction dry and wet. Wear is really good on em but I’m USUALLY conservative with my driving. I do average 10,000 KM a season, I’ve run em for the past two summers n I still have a season or two left on em. I haven’t tracked my car yet.

I own a stock KA24DE S13 with -3.0 to -3.5 rear camber btw and wear is still pretty even… but again, it all depends on how you drive your car obviously. I’d def recommend em, hope this helps.

I ran the Dunlop DZ 101 Start Spercs on my S13 at Targa Newfoundland in 2010, I’d say they were the perfect tire for that application. They were awesome in the dry and the wet… I never did find the limit in the rain… We set some pretty good stage times in wet and dry (kicked Porsch GT2 and GT3 ass in the rain). After 2200 km’s, with over 500 being competative stages they were barely showing signs of wear.

I’ve never run S-Drives, but have run several other Yokohamas, they make good tires… You should also check out Falken Azeis, good sticky tire, last well and reasonably priced.

-Martin.

^ Azenis is an awesome tire, but I can’t imagine wet weather handling being very well with that tread design.

wait for the dunlop direzzea II’s brand new this year.

for performance summer all seasons sdrive are good. i have a set. might be looking into hankook v12 as well for the same price range and category of tires. sdrive i feel overall is slightly better than a falken 452.
star specs, azenis, nitto 555 and potenzas re01 are awesome. i wanna try yoko advan a048

Thanks for everyone’s input. I have decided to go with the hankook ventus v12’s. This is based off reading reviews on tirerack/101ties and then other random reviews on google. I also found this link which ended up being the deciding factor.

From what I have read the hankook should have better tread wear than the S-drive and performance looks very similar. I am hope I can get two season’s out of these.

Has anyone on here used tirerack to purchase tires? I noticed they now have a calucalator for shipping and duty. These are the prices I’ve got so far.

Friend of a friend in the tire business: 750 taxes in

Local tire shop: 967 installed taxes in

1010tires : 770 taxes and shipping

tirerack: 617.50 taxes and shipping.

the tirerack price seems to good to be true.

once you check out on tirerack, it adds: shipping, hst, duty, provincial tire fee, and brokerage fee. do the entire checkout without paying and you will see. a pair of dirrezza z2 would be 388 before shipping, 573 to my door

oooh I see there estimate is way off. I just went through the whole thing.

Shipping Total: $137.50
Excise Tax: $0.00
HST: $72.41
PST: $0.00
Duty: $33.60
Provincial Tire Fee: $23.36
Brokerage Fee: $20.00
Order Total (USD): $766.87