overheating brakes

Stop living in a shit ass state with a ton of snow and salted roads and your shit wont rot out lol. My truck literally looks brand fucking new inside and out, top to bottom. I guarantee most of the mechanical issues y’all experience up there (brakes, u-joints, front end parts, shocks, etc) are severely accelerated by the salt on the roads. As far as the trans and rear, you’ve said many times that your brother “drives it like he stole it” or something very similar. Of course if you beat on it you’re gonna break shit, although I’m not entirely sure how you fuck up the rear end in one of these trucks as it’s the 11.5" AAM 14 bolt, same as they use in the Chevys which is a pretty beefy and mostly bulletproof rear axle if properly maintained. As far as the trans, his would have the 48re, which is the shittier 4 speed auto which never did have a good reputation so no surprise there. Mine has the newer 68re which is the 6 speed auto and has a much better reputation for lasting in these trucks.

The rearend blew going 5 mph on his street in a snow storm.

I don’t know what the issue with the shocks is but his is on its 3rd set.

Toyota trucks are the worst when it comes to rust. Would not buy.

Yeah, the frames rot out in a few years.

Even Dodges aren’t that bad

Yeah, would not buy. They only replaced the frames along with all the suspension parts, leaf springs etc way out of normal warranty. Or bought them for 1.5 times book value. The “junk” frames were made by our beloved domestic company Dana and they wound up having to pay Toyota millions. They stand by their product better than any other manufacturer and are undeniably the most reliable trucks on the road. Lets do a comparison of the big three against Toyota for recalls, reliability records and owner satisfaction reports.

Rust will always be a problem in the northeast and will continue to aggravate and shorten the life’s of vehicles. The last dodge ram I worked on left the owner stranded due to a rust and corrosion problem on the sending unit retaining ring. It takes a special kind of owner to know how to battle rust and win. Regular washing and undercarriage spraying will not get it done.

I’m a gm fan , if I had the money for a brand new truck bet your ass I would be in a tundra

I’m also a GM truck fan, my last one was an 03 1500. When it comes down to it there are trucks from every make that I like and respect.

The Toyota frames rotted out because they were fully boxed for strength and water/salt got inside the frame rails and rotted them from the I side out… If Toyota would put the Hino diesel into a production Tundra similar to how they did for SEMA several years back, they’d be sitting on a gold mine. Also, Dodge has confirmed the 3.0 V6 turbo diesel 1/2 ton Ram truck for 2014 :number1

Tap dat talk

At one time Toyota was considering a Cat diesel too. There was a concept Tundra dually with one.

Poor design and use of old toasters for metal was the real issue with the frames. A pussy truck like a Tacoma doesn’t need a boxed frame.

My Tundra was awesome. Thing was a tank.

Design and construction both played into the frames failure. Saying the frames are not good because they are made from toasters, beer cans etc is one of the oldest, most ignorant statements in the book. Until you learn more about steel, raw materials and failure analysis it’s just plain dumb to say that. The Tacoma frames were made in California and the plant has since closed its doors. Engineers and plant employees at Dana admitted the frames e-coating system was a constant mess and some frames has even starting rusting out on the storage racks outside.

My friend has a 2010 and its got more power than my truck but it has the same interior as a '94 Corolla.

Paul what ended up being the problem with your brakes? my old man’s '04 literally started smelling like brakes yesterday afternoon.

The rear pads were hung up in the calipers and not working at all and the fluid was contaminated.

alright, thanks

Could’ve easily been solved with a temp gun at all 4 corners and preventative maintenance. For someone who wants to “keep their car forever” you sure do cheap out on routine maintenance. Yes, brake fluid, trans fluid, and coolant are all part of your responsibility, big guy.

Tranny fluid has been changed twice.

When two shops tell you the rear brakes are fine you tend to believe them, especially when one is a dealer.

They don’t know anything.

Forum knowledge > dealer. Always.

i’d have bought a temp gun anyway, would’ve figured it out, and temp guns are entertaining.

this x10,000, there would have never been a problem if the rear brakes were properly serviced at the same time that the fronts were replaced.