overheating brakes

typical …

I smelled a faint smell of it this afternoon but I had just driven thru alot of water in the rain and it didnt do it tonight when I went to the gym so Im hoping its ok because everything on the left front has been replaced.

so happy for you paul

Awesome, happy to hear. I’m glad things went well. What a good ending to what started out as a very troublesome dilemma.

it might not be over yet though

Y what’s the twist Paul ? Ya gonna leave us hangin ?

my earlier post:

I have something that hangs and also has a twist.

To the right.

After you go for a drive and get out put your hand on the wheel close to the hub area. It should be fairly cool unless you were hammering the brakes. You can also compare the temp to the other side to judge any discrepancys

Ill have to check it later. What would that mean though?

I replaced both wheel bearings last year and the left one was done in October.

just go for a drive and put your hand on the wheels after doing so, the fronts should feel roughly the same temp, as should the rears

I haven’t driven the truck yet today and I’m at work now so I can’t check it until later tonight

fuck off paul

Think about it Paul, the wheel mounts against the brake rotor. If the brakes are dragging and getting hot enough it will transfer some heat to the wheel. This is a very basic inspection that can be done. If the wheel bearings failing are creating heat they are long gone.

You’ve replaced more parts on this (now rusted) truck than any other active member on this website.

Ford (trucks) FTL.

What I meant was what would it mean if the wheels were hot, what the issue would be. Both wheel bearings are pretty new. I drove the truck to Clifton Park and back tonight with no smell of brakes.

Not really. It still has most of its original parts and now has 123k and its 7 years old. The rust is minor and will be fixed.

Sorry its not a Cobalt. And werent your quarters rusting when you traded it in?

I still have the Cobalt SS. The wheel well paint was actually flaking off from shitty body work, so I made them repaint the whole car.

Wanna start talking about rust? Go take a pic of your undercarriage right now. I bet it looks like shit in comparison to the GM, even though it’s “just a Cobalt” that probably hauls more shit than your pickup truck, gets better gas mileage, is faster, handles better, looks better, and is more reliable. lollll

j/k paul love u bro

The truck is actually pretty clean underneath.

I thought you traded in the SS on the Camaro. Or did you never actually have a Camaro? Sometimes I dont know when youre bullshitting or not.

I would hope a 4 cylinder car gets better gas mileage than a fullsize 4wd truck. If it didnt there might be a problem.

Id like to see you tow a car with your Cobalt, haul two yards of topsoil, haul sheet rock, haul scrap metal (appliances, etc) and some of the other stuff I do with my truck.

As for checking the temp of various SHIT on your car, go to harbor freight and pick up one of these:

I used one for checking the heat sink temp on nitro r/c engines, works great on full scale cars too.

Nope, had a black on black 2010 SS with 6 speed and hurst shifter. I kept the Cobalt because it isn’t worth anything and makes a good winter beater. The Camaro was too heavy for the LS3, but I especially didn’t like the 2010 interior (shitty seats, gay steering wheel, no HUD, gay radio). It also got 16 mpg around town - I drove it hard, but if I’m going to drive something that gets 16mpg it’s gonna be a Tahoe.

Sold it to some habib from KY. :rofl

I dont really need to check the temp on something when I smell it burning.