overheating brakes

Is it fixed now?

Maybe. No issues with it tonight but it was fine for a week in between replacing the caliper, pads and rotor and replacing the hose.

Only real way to find out is to pick up that temp gun.

I put my hand on the wheel and sniffed the brakes

I’d get the temp gun to be sure.

Happy Birthday!

if the wheels hot, the brakes are dragging you jamoke

well obviously but with all new parts they shouldnt be dragging. I was looking for a cause, not a symptom.

SEEING IF EACH AXLE PAIR IS A SIMILAR TEMP AFTER A DRIVE WILL TELL YOU IF YOU’VE FIXED IT OR NOT YOU FUCK-GOOF

did you take the rubber bushings off of the slide pins? if not they could be contributing to the issue as well.

The caliper came with all new bushings and pins

quit fuckin around and fix it you lanky powder looking motherfucker

take the pins out and remove the rubber bushingson them, all they do is swell and cause the calipers to hang up, just make sure to apply a generous amount of grease to the pins before reinstalling them (use the permatex ceramic based shit its not cheap but its very good) and as a preventative measure, pull the slide pins once or twice a year to clean, inspect, regrease, and if neccessary replace them.

Are you serious? Remove the bushings?

If you are experiencing swelling then the wrong lubricant is being used. Petroleum based grease will cause the swelling and damage. Using the correct silicone based grease will not harm the rubber and will be a lot less maintanence. Without the boots the slides will attract dirt, salt, water etc and will wear out and turn to shit. This is terrible advice.

I didnt take apart the new caliper.

I normally greased the old one with brake caliper lube. (the green shit)

not the boots, there are rubber bushings that a lot of manufacturers use to prevent noise when the brakes are being applied, they are on the pin and go inside the caliper,i am not saying remove the protective boots that expand and contract with the movement of the slide pin, and no, silicone based lubricant doesn’t eliminate the problem of swelling with them, read more carefully next time.

Your right, I read it the wrong way. I do remember having to take a few of those off before on Toyotas. Does Ford use them? Seems its been a while since I have seen them.

Still smelling a faint smell of brakes when sniffing the wheels after a drive. I dont smell it at the rear but do smell both front brakes. Both front wheels feel equally the same temperature.

Maybe normal? I never paid much attention to it before having issues. Maybe Im just paranoid now.

I swear I smelled the brakes this afternoon in Amsterdam but couldnt tell if it was my truck or an 18 wheeler down the road.

Fronts work harder, but still I don’t know if you should be able to smell them after normal driving. I’ve never smelled my brakes after a trip though lol.

yea ford uses them as does chrylser and a lot of manufacturers, they all have the same problem lol