P-I-T-T. PITT, PITT, PITT!!

Officials are not assigned by anyone within their respective conferences. They are given games by an assigner that is employed by the officiating chapters that represent the Big East.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not given games directly from the Big East or from any other conference. Anyone that says that would be a conflict of interest is 100% correct, that is why it’s not done that way. Basically think of officials(as a group) as a sub-contractor to the each individual conferences.

They are reviewed 3 different ways, typically. By the coaches (usually taken with a grain of salt, because obviously every coach, no matter if he was robbed or not, thinks he got screwed on most calls), by an official observer (usually a retired official) that is employed by the officials chapter that watches the game live from a booth or press box within the stadium, and then later, via tape, by the conference officiating coordinator.

I’m probably the biggest defender of officials you will find, but some of the things they called on Saturday bordered on criminal. I’m fairly certain you won’t see a couple of those guys working D-1 games again.