p/s or no p/s?

So ive been thinking about this for a while now. I wanna know what the serious drivers think of this situation. If ur driving a car competitively, either on or off the street, is it better to have power steering? Do u guys prefer power steering to non power steering cars or is does it not matter? some cars feel really shitty with power steering imo. like when i drive my roommate’s prelude i always feel like im gonna lose traction on turns and shit. just cant feel the road well. So give me some insight, and lets have a discussion about the topic.

honestly… I prefer no-PS, although I wouldn’t remove it from a car that had it (in most cases)

It really depends on the car. I have no PS in my 944 or my e30. Also it depends on the ratio in the rack. My 944 is a pain in the ass at anything less than 7mph. Personally I prefer no PS for track driving. But if it’s still going to be a street car you should think long and hard about it.

Fuck it.

Who needs it? Its one less thing, that is going to break.

Women are about the only people who should be required to have it.

3/4’s of the cars I have owned…had power steering.
I’ve hated 3/4’s of the cars I have owned.

You do the math.

EDIT- If you are referring to the civic…take it out. Obviously I can make the statement, that a civic w/o power steering is not bad at all. The only problem I have is with the Azenis. When the snows are on, its easier. But even with sticky tires on…its still not that bad…especially once you get going (in a parking lot).

It also depends what you do with the lines when you take PS out also…

My g/f drives my civic with no p/s just fine, so on the street I see no need for you to need it. As far as the track goes I can’t really help you there.

yep, make sure you do it the right way if u decide to take it out. otherwise your gonna be fighting that wheel alot more than you have to

only time I hated not having it is in tight places where the car cant roll and you gotta muscle the wheel

Switched from power steering to a manual rack on the Miata, and I’m glad I did. The ratio is a bit slower, but I got used to it quickly. The upsides are the feel (you can really tell exactly what the front tires are doing) and decreased complexity under the hood (if I want to swap front swar bars now, it’s a 15 minute job), as well as less weight. The downside is really only if you are maneuvering to get into or out of a parking space (and backing up a trailer is a real workout).

In my case power steering sucks for auto-X. I have no feel, and depending on engine RPM I have surges of fluid pressure that make it a pain to predict consitaintcy. On a more open track it is not as bad, but still I wish the rules would allow me to remove it.

I’d say the slower ratio would be a good thing for more open turns, just bad in turn arounds.

well its not a question of whether or not im gonna take it out. i already dont have it. theres no trace of p/s or a/c anywhere. i was just curious about whether or not it made a big difference to ppl. personally, the cars ive drove without it i liked. i enjoy the feel of the road that u dont get with most p/s systems. fairgentlemanz, ur not allowed to remove the p/s? why?

In lighter cars i dont see how it would be too much of a problem. But in anythign big with a lot of weight up front, might be consirably harder.

My only exp with no p.s is when the car stalls. so i dont know if that counts. Probably completely different

There are a lot of rules that I ask why. That is just the way it is.

your e30 has no power steering?! did you buy a manual rack?

In my e30s I don’t mind ps, but I’ve had a lot of cars where I didn’t like it.

Also, I didn’t like no ps in my eg, but i think i may have just not liked having an eg. or cause I was daily driving it, and ps is nice in a daily

but tracking the Z, that has no ps and I wouldn’t have it any other way

No, the e30’s pump is just dead :wink:

It is completely different, because in that case, you are having to force all the fluid to move from one side of the rack to the other, through all the piping, and the non-spinning pump. A true manual rack (or a properly de-powered, drained and capped-off power rack) will have a heavier feel, but not a “holy shit I can’t move this thing” feel.

I have no PS from factory
I believe I also have a different rack because of this and love the feedback

I never didn’t like PS until I drove a car regularly that didn’t have it.

The feedback you get from the road and the crisp feel you get is amazing. Then you get in a PS car, and you feel like you’re playing Initial D at the Arcade instead of driving a real car.

I like No PS now so much more.

i had no power steering in my e30s and it felt much better.