-=Paint JObzzz=-

lets talk about paint jobs!!!

where you got yours done?

how much?

what was done?

Also people who did them yourself:

how much you spend how much time you spend etc.

im starting to look into paint seriously any advice would be greattt

10 cans of rocker gaurd, masking tape, news paper.

Turned out better than you would think.

$50

if you want to do it urself do the $50 roll on tremclad paintjob

That roll on stuff is a loooot more work than people think, polishing it afterwards is the hardest/longest part.

im trying to avoid anything super ghetto like roll on method

this is paint for a track car so it dosnt have to be show car but i still want it to be nice as i will be street driving it a little bit too

PS

i got a comporessor and a ghetto gun ive been thinking about doing it myself.

i dont know shit about body work

filler, sanding, spray technique, prep etc

tips?

my advise since im only at beginner at this shizz as well is get a book about body work and painting, i have one and it tought me alot (it’s a faily old book though) i know theres a couple current ones out there. you might be able to find sufficent info on the net as well, do some research and practice on parts that dont matter as much first

Good luck

MY only advice, if you spray it, get a good gun. I painted my plow truck with a good gun and i didnt get 1 run. I used a cheap gun to paint a rack on my dads work truck and i got paint everywhere. If your careful and take your time you can do a half decent job with a good gun, with a cheap gun you have no chance.

Pretty much everything you need to know to get started

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=116637

there are tons of tips on body work and painting out there, just search.

I have been following the “$5o dollar paint job” and am working on this as we speak except not rolling the paint on, rather using a gun.

Im in the body work process as we speak, and ive got lots of it to do.

So far I welded in a new roof, courtesy of Bing and finishing up the bondo that goes with it.

Sign-up and talk to the pros…its a GREAT forum with alot fo archived information aswell.

Good Luck!

thanks for the links boys…

very interesting

dont be afraid to post somthing guys

i use that as well. theres a huge guide u can d/l for free. excellent site.

If you are doing it in ur garage, make sure u water down ur garage floor. Prevents dust particles from lifting and sticking to the paint. Thats one thing my buddy f’ed up on.

I can give you a paint job in my garage if you want. :wink:

My beautiful reflection off my fresh $50 tremclad paintjob. This was a experiment on a spare hood…more to come maybe later…
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4803/29072006001nv2.th.jpg

EDIT: BTW have not wetsanded or used any compound or polish…Just inmagine. Scratch test tommorow…after 20 minutes or so it was pretty damn tacky.

your so myspace

^^^wtf? rephrase that if its directed towards me…If its negitive ill have to break your knee caps :lol: you dont have one yet :stuck_out_tongue:

i did my paint in my garage, i used cheap car paint from carquest, the premixed stuff. the cost for paint was $65 a gallon for the white (bottom) and $20 for a quart of black that i used on the roof of my s13. i highly advise using hardener otherwise the paint wont harden ever and sanding it will be really hard because it wont be dry enough for days and it will chunk up on the sand paper. as far as prep, i used carquest’s spot putty that dried in about 4 seconds of air (not uv light activated) and for larger fill areas i used plastic bondo even larger spots than that with metal filler and if there was any holes i needed to repair i would weld a spot in.

the whole paint job with materials cost me about $240 and i did it myself in my own garage… it turned out quite well and all i need to do now is a wetsand. Just worried about sanding through the paint.
if you want before/after pics add me to msn… spoon_civic_typeR @hotmail.com

-Matt

Avery, are you leaving the world of multicoloured 240s?

Lol I have been thinking of just spray painting mine also.