Parking ticket problem

So I sold a car to a well respected member last fall, dropped the car off to him and popped off the plates, fast forward 9 months , I am now on the west coast and my wife gets a notice that she has an over due ticket from June, made a few calls and turns out the member here apparently flipped the car to someone else (jumped title) and never took off the registration sticker, parking Nazis apparently scanned registration and were too lazy to see plates didn’t match…anyone have any tips or hints on getting the issue resolved?

you’ve got a bill of sale so you could try that for proof.

hope you have better luck than me

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?242641-letting-someone-use-your-plates-to-drive-back

also…where on the west coast?

Did this happen in the city of buffalo? If so, go to parking enforcement bureau and request a hearing. Bring the paperwork.

I’m in Oregon now so I can’t make it in person, just to clarify plates were turned in & destroyed back in Oct/Nov , apparently the registration sticker is still on the car, the member I sold it to has no idea who has the car now…

if you read my post in the thread i linked youll see that even though i had paperwork from the dmv and city of buffalo i still had to pay for a ticket i never got

@XwalkerX should’ve hollered at me, I think I was still living in Norfolk, VA at that time!

bummer.

I did this to a member once. I just forgot to take the reg off. I paid it and replaced it. Too bad you sold it to a shitty member :frowning:

now name him / her!!

… said ‘well respected member’ should man the fuck up and pay it. Otherwise, i’d say just pay it and move on unless it’s some staggering sum. I really don’t see it being worth the hassle.

I’ll let it ride for a bit to see if they take notice, I’ll just add said member can probably afford it more than anyone else on here

this is why i scrape the sticker off every car I sold in NY.

Except here in texas, they transfer the sticker and plates over to the new owner at the DMV.

Normally I would except I dropped the car off at the buyers house under the impression he was going to register the car in his name, live and learn

• Updated - - -

You know what fuck it, the situation aggravates me and I have spent a good bit on the phone over it, I brought it to said members attention and got no help, the buyer is/was Derek aka Misteroman

So someone is driving around in an unregistered car with random plates ?

Beats me, its been 9 months since I sold it and now I’m 2700 miles away, I gave the state police all the info I have, for all I know the last titled owner was my wife, maybe it will be used in a bank robbery and found torched next

I do seriously appreciate this thread because now I’m removing the reg on any car I sell at the time of sale.

If you turned in the plates this should be everything Nazi NY needs. Sucks.

I always just figured this was common practice (removing the registration). The only sticker I leave is the inspection sticker.

Yeah was me. Didn’t realize you were looking for me to pay for it. If the board thinks I should pay the ticket I will. I’ve never once took the old reg. Off a car I was selling. Never once. I’ve driven/had/sold probably 500+ cars. I think I’ve actually taken a couple off to put on another car so it looked like it was on the road or something like that but never because I was selling. I know you said you said you turned the plates in which is the right thing to do. I think whoever is dragging their dick and doesn’t want to be bothered looking into it whether it me cops, DMV or town guy. Let me know if ya need help. Not sure what I can do other then give a somewhat description of the people the best I remember.
D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33270[/ATTACH]

I usually always remove the registration when I sell to strangers for this exact reason, Derek had told me he was going to drive it himself and was in a hurry the day I dropped the car off so I didn’t think much of it. I literally just got the letter in the mail , since I moved it was forwarded and has probably been bouncing around for weeks. I just want it to go away , whether that means implicating the guilty party, someone stepping up and paying it, whatever the case, I don’t think it’s fair for it to fall on my shoulders. In the future it might be a good idea to not only remove the window stickers but to make a copy of the purchasers license, what if the car is never re-titled , used in a crime and dumped? Anyone care to sit in hand cuffs under suspicion of a felony trying to remember details on who the car was sold to???