Paul B's Mazdaspeed3 "build"

Ok, so this isnt general automotive discussion, so I guess Ill call it a “Build”. Figured Id post my progress on what Ive been doing to the Speed3.

This weekend the BC Racing Coilovers went in with a ton of help from Jack. Pretty much took at as low as it will go with just adjusting the spring perches in the rear. Going to leave it here since it is my year-round daily driver. Seems to sit real nice. Drives real nice, better than stock in my opinion. Just gotta figure out a small “clunk” in the front.

Also installed the muffler from Ultimate Racing out of Toronto. Picked it up from their shop on friday and installed it that evening. Only did the “axle back” for now due to some negative things Ive been reading about the Speed3 fuel pumps. Once I get a Cobb Access Port, I will do a full cat back setup. The muffler sounds super good. Nice deep tone. 4" tips to fill those holes in the bumper too!

Other changes:
Lamin X on the foglights
JBarone Short Shift Place
JBarone Shifter Bushings
CorkSport LED interior and licence plate lights

Plans for this car:
Clean and simple. Needs to be reliable for a long time, but it still needs to look, sound, drive and feel the way Id like.

Future:
Cobb Access Port
CorkSport Intake and Turbo inlet Pipe
Ultimate Racing Cat-back exhaust and Test Pipe
TWM Full replacement short shifter

Probably doing wheels too but unsure at the moment…leaning towards 17x9 6ULR from 949 Racing with a meaty tire.

Talk shit and enjoy!!!

<3

:tup: so glad you picked this car up from me.

Gorgeous, I love these things…

Nice, watch the width of your tires…I have some rubbing when I went about 1.5 inches wide (sorry don’t recall exact specs).

Look into a rear motor mount made allllll the difference in the world to me. Also, change over to a synthetic gear oil, made the changes sooooo crisp and clean

:tup: Looks great!

I like my BC’s, but I think one of the front corners is starting to clunk. Good thing they’re hella cheap to replace!

Looks 100x better. :tup:

lookin good man

Will always be a fan of Mazdas, and I love these cars. When you compare the interior to other less expensive higher performance cars, the fit and finish is just much better for the price, as is the overall experience of sitting in one (IMO).

I only ever heard complaints on the Mazda forums from Speed3 owners about how the aftermarket for them sucked, couldn’t make enough power, blah blah… I’m interested to see how you fare. Looks like you’re off to a good start!

+1 for the rear motor mount… I have a cp-e nano brand new in the box i’d let go of… I know you said you wanted corksport but I figured i’d toss it out there…

and from everything I read there are really no gains (except sexy sounds) from a cbe on these cars… all the hp is free’d up with an aftermarket downpipe.

Car looks hot on the BC’s, keep up the good work!

thanks for all the kind words!!! glad that people are stoked on a basic build of a silly Mazda haha

yea, Rear motor mount is on the list. next pay day maybe

I’m going to tear the left front off today and figure out that clunk in the front end. Mazdaspeed forums tell me that it could be because I tightened everything up while not having the wieght of the car on it. Never had this issue with the Miata. This FWD thing is all new to me haha

Mr. Burgasser: thanks for selling me this car. I love this thing. so glad you were my salesman. hopefully you can help me if the warranty is voided haha nfg.

This car is certainly the best bargain out their. not just for performance out of the showroom, but for fit, finish and quality. Innovative dynoed it for their baseline map and it did 213lb/ft and 210hp with 15.3 lbs of boost. Not bad at all.

As for jeffthespasm and supraman: Im not looking to gain horsepower. If some hp is freed up just by doing the cat-back and intake, then so be it. The car is fast enough as is for me, especailly for a daily driver. I dont want to be causing issues with the motor/fuel pump etc. It needs to be reliable every day for a long time. Good sound and nice looks is all that Im looking for.

<3

looks dope paul…but i dont see any of the new NFG stickers on there yet…?

oh and for the lazy…

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17567&d=1301896972

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17566&d=1301896948

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17565&d=1301896927

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17568&d=1301896995

needs moar low.
:tup:

thanks, Walker. Im a noob at the internetz and didnt know how to post them that way.

Havent had time to even put a sticker on there lol busy wokring on the car this weekend and then the weather went to shit.

Pirite: call me a pussy, but this is my year round daily driver. The miata is used for ultimate low. so suck it! and honestly, ive seen photos of speed3’s that are slammed…and they just dont look as good as my car does at this height. I think the height its at now is almost perfect.

trust me, it’s low enough. My car is at a similar ride height, and the bumper is in rough shape. It pops off the drivers side fender ALL THE TIME. Takes a quick smack to pop it back in lol. It’s got huge scrapes all over the bottom of the front too. NFG about it here, but at times I’ve been concerned that the whole bumper is just going to sheer off.

I mostly care about oil pans and shit.

like i said, my miata is for ultimate low and scraping. that car is 16 years old and doesnt need to be taken care of haha

Looks good :tup:

thank you! :slight_smile:

I am surprised by how much I like the looks of this!

youre welcome! haha these cars have a ton of hidden lines that all work very well together. once theyre lowered, they really stand out.

To me, the hood is one of the sexiest pieces on a car ive ever seen.

Agreed, the hood does look rather aggresive.

Thoughts on some sort of overlay on the tailights? Laminex, tailight paint?