Personal Transponders?

http://www.mxtransponder.com/personaltimer.htm

anybody ever use any systems?

I think if you are going to get a personal timing system (especially for a learning tool) just step it up to a GPS based system so you can review section times with changes.

My timing system is accurate within .2 seconds of AMBs transponders and cost $5 from Walmart.

stopwatch/friend method?

I use amb transponders for snocross and motocross.

you can also view all your laptimes at mylaps.com

How much do GPS based systems cost?

thats great it the track supports it, which dunnville does not

you should put sensors on your wheels to warn you before you run off the course :slight_smile:

I know that Rushman has one, but don’t know if he just uses it for simple data acquisition (vs. being able to plot out a course and dissect section times).

I believe the middle of the line stuff is sub $1000, maybe even down to the $500 range, but that allows you to plug in and plot the course vs. lateral acceleration. Then if you want to spend more you are talking about adding TPS and braking sensors. I can’t find anything that looks good right now.

http://www.saferacer.com/traqmate-data-acquisition-basic-system.html?productid=554

IMO lap to lap timing is just fine for where I am at now. If later down the road I want to see exactly where I am losing time a GPS system would be a great tool.

If all you are looking for is something to take to Dunnville and get times Longacre’s Hot Lap system is tried and true. And holds twice the number of laps:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=275&catid=10

Rushman’s is actually my dad’s, he just happens to get a boner playing with it. It’s small and has a bluetooth conection to a pocket PC so it’s easy to swap from car to car at an autocross.

Check out www.maxqdata.com

how about a gravel warning system

SAE motorsports (baja and formula) use the amb system, Our team at RIT has never had any problems.

I have the same system, and I love it. They actually just started offering an upgrade to existing users that ups the data rate from 5Hz to 10Hz. If you have a bluetooth capable Windows Mobile device already, or can find a way to properly secure a laptop, then you only need the MQGPS unit. You will get alot more out of a system like this than you will just a transponder setup.

It will actually plot the course out, you can get segment times, etc.

Best part is since many different people have the same system, you can swap data and learn. This year’s ES class winner at the 2007 Solo nationals was kind enough to share his data with me (along with Mike and Dave) so I could see just how badly I sucked.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=MSD11200/424.0

so ur saying the 299 unit will do what i need in conjunction with my spint pp6700 (WM6)?

Does that unit use a stylus for the interface? If so, it should work as long as it has Bluetooth. Right now the software is setup for PDAs that use a stylus and a touch screen, or for a normal PC. They are supposed to release a software update down the road that will allow the interface to work better on smartphones that do not use a stylus.

yep, has a stylus…

how well do these do on tight autoX courses? how does it know where to map as far as outside adn inside of the turn and show you your line?

For the most part, it works well, even on tight courses. I say for the most part because all of us had problems at a specific location on the West course at Nationals on at least one run, where the data looked strange.

The system doesn’t know where the course actually is, all it knows is where your car was. Line analysis works best when running in a heat format, because the satellite constellation drifts a bit over time.

You should go the site and download the PC version of the software with some demo data so you can see exactly what it does.

http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/

> * in terms of a lap timer (no gps schennanigans)

Can be found for under $200 new, much less if used.

It’s not really going to help so much as to help you to “draw” the line you took because it doesn’t really know the parameters of the course. Even comparing runs, unless your line is differing beween runs by something dractic like 10-15ft, you aren’t really going to notice any difference in the picture. The GPS is more of a reference point so that the data makes more sense and you don’t have to guess at what point of the course you’re max g’s or something like that.

An example of how its useful was at a National Tour last year when rushman and I were codriving the Type R. After 1st runs on the Sunday course I basically had everyone hammered. So in between runs we had enough time to overlay Jon’s run over mine. What we found was while there were a couple of things I did better, the big difference was the amount of speed I was carrying in the slolam. I think the next run alone he dropped .7 by just being more aggressive at that one point. But with out “the toy” he would have had to guess where there was time to pick up. So I will admit that it is most useful when you can compare your runs with a faster persons.

lol just a joke - i can’t talk i zong’d a curb this year too :frowning: