Phone Junkies, recommend a Verizon Phone...

It’s time for a new phone (well, probably about a year past “time”). I currently have a LGVX9800, you know the giant brick thing that opens to a full QWERTY keyboard. The front screen finally died (really annoying since I can’t see who’s calling before answering) so it’s time to upgrade it. I’ll be staying w/ Verizon since I’ve been really happy with their service and they have the best coverage around here. I’m long-since eligible for their “new every two” deal so I get a pretty good discount on any of their stuff.

A few things about what I want in a phone now…

I’m actually looking for something more “basic” and sleak than the VX9800 I’ve had. I have a Blackberry for work so I don’t need any of those sorts of services (web, email…). I don’t use my QWERTY keyboard to text, well I have to now since the front screen is broken and honestly it’s annoying. Typing one letter at a time w/ my thumbs is no better than modern T9 texting. I’m also not a highschool girl so I don’t spend all day texting. I have an iPod touch so I don’t need MP3 capability. The one “feature” I actually would like is a halfway decent camera in the phone.

Mostly I want something that is compact, looks very clean and is very durable. I drop my phones… a lot. When you’re racing, or working on cars, or whatever somehow they always just end up falling out of your pockets.

So… recommendations???

-TJ

samsung flipshot has a great camera from what i’ve heard. i believe it’s 3.0mp.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3404&changingCompletedOrder=
Verizonz GZ-One…for someone who drops their phone a lot and needs something rugged. Honestly with you saying you drop it a lot you really need a candybar style phone, but recently there has been a lack of decent ones. Wanting a phone with a decent camera almost puts you into getting one that has an mp3 player regardless of whether you need one or now. Cell phone companies are now catering mostly to the multimedia/data oriented crowd…thats where the money is at…so there are very few phones left that are meant to be dropped

And do yourself a favor and stay away from the flipshot, that phones design is so flawed, i’ve seen countless ones like that by samsung snap so easily in half…or dropped on the internal screen while its flipped and there goes your phone
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3410
Multimedia oriented…not really what your looking for to begin with

Treo

I have the GZ one. it is definately durable but the camera sucks ass as does the video. also the speaker phone sucks and if you like to keep your phone in your pocket, the buttons on the side always seem to get bumped and the volume turned down.

Just a random question…but who puts their phone back into their pocket when its on speaker? I don’t know anyone who does this so i’m just curious. But its good to get some actual user input in here. And as far as the camera sucking…are you comparing it to some 300-500 dollar multimedia phone or a 3megapixel digi cam? even a 3 MP digicam will put a cell phone 3MP to shame.

Samsung u940, nice phone with a keyboard and touchscreen. You can also do t9 on the touchscreen

noone, including eurodad. read his post again.

camera’s on phones are worthless, get a small digital camera for a couple hundred and use that instead of a phone.

He drops his phone…he does not need a phone which has a primary interface as touch screen…also said he doesn’t like a keyboard…get a sales job for 3 years then attempt to post in this thread again

for a couple hundred? 8.1 megapixel cameras go for as low as 150 these days…thats not a “couple” hundred…cease and desist

i don’t do that. the speaker phone is not loud. you still need to hold it to your ear to hear it… and the buttons on the side get bumped and pressed and somehow the lower the ringer volume and i miss calls. i’m comparing the phone to my last two. the last one being a motorola e815.

I have the flipshot and it’s straight baller! No complaints!

Ok sorry i looked at your last post wrong. I haven’t seen a single flip phone with a keygaurd for a while now. Although it would be a good feature to add, just because a phone is clamshell design doesn’t mean buttons won’t be hit…your situation proves that

I’m really liking the GZ-One. Rugged electronics FTW!

Motorola seems to make the best rugged devices(A.K.A Nextels)…they just don’t seem to sell them to the right company

blackberry 8830 world is great…best phone ive ever owned

samsung i760, but you all ready have a blackberry.

glad someone actually did read the OP…that i760 is a bad ass phone though…i got to demo it…i like it a lot

i760 looks pretty sweet… how much do those run?

450 on a 2 year contract

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3364