Picking up a dog from the shelter

So tommorow i will be picking up the pure bred german shepard i adopted from the city shelter. I have never adopted before but i kinda dont have a choice, the guilt would drive me crazy. You see, in the last 3 months i have picked this dog up 3 times while at work. The first time was by roswell park. it was very cold out and his back paws were almost frozen. He was also very malnourished and his teeth were every worn down from chewing through a metal wire leash. About 2 feet of this leash was still attached to his collar. He was super calm and just sat in the office next to me till the warden came to get him. I didn tthink much of it kuz in the 2 years ive had this job ive found about 9 or 10 stray dogs. Usually i just call the warden and thats the end of it. Well I have seen him 3 times in the past 3 months wandering the streets. Each time he looks more and more neglected and its even more sad kuz i think he has grown to like me. The only time i see him wag his tail is when i enter the office where we keep him while we are waiting for the dog warden. So anyway, a couple days ago i go see him at the shelter on a wimb. Of course as soon as i see him i feel super bad and ask the lady what i have to do to take him. That place makes u want to kill urself kuz there are hundreds of dogs barking its insane, but i shit u not, i think he was the only one not barking, he was just laying there looking sad. The only reason he got up is cause he saw me walking to his cage. She said i had to wait 72 hours till hes addoptable. I asked why he keeps ending up on the streets. She said his owners always show up about 2 weeks after he ends up there. I decided i cant let him go back to an abussive home like that so i told them to let me know when he was ready and they called me today. I might regret this. He deffinitly is gonna need some teeth pulled, not to mention the hes malnourished. Also he has “fly rot” the very tippy tops of his ears dont have any hair on them kuz of flies eating at his ears in the summer from being left outside for long epriods of time. So has anyone ever adopted an abused pet before? How taxing is it mentally and physically to nurture them back to health? Is this going to be total hell?

Was this at the Tonawanda SPCA? If so I think I have seen the dog before. Big fucking dog if it’s the one I’m thinking of. He seemed really cool.

If he was neglected, it isn’t necessarily the same as abused. A neglected dog will hve behavior issues but depending on how old he is you should be able to train him. The most important part of that is to be extremely consistent with what you are teaching him. What’s important is the he seems to be friendly and reacts well to you.

That’s awesome that you are adopting him btw. This is definitely a cool story. :tup:

no, the buffalo shelter on oak street, i work at buffalo general. He seems to have been trained some things. He sits when i tell him to sit but thats about it lol. I think hes proly about 5 or 6. No gray hair yet or nething.

Taking any commands at all from a stranger seems like a good sign. Might be worth the risk. Hopefully his health holds up.

Nice deed your doing there. His “owners” dont deserve to own a pet. If he seems to be a good boy now just think he will only get better with time. Abused animals may be skiddish with strangers but thats not too big a deal really as long as hes friendly which he seems to be from what you said. Ive took in a stray cat that was harrased by neighborhood kids. If anybody comes over he goes MIA until they leave. But still a super nice cat. Another cat I had must have been abused. She came into my breezeway all jacked up. Like almost on death bed. It was crazy this half dead cat just showing up. But we took it in and it ended up being a really great cat. Just couldnt pet her past her head or shed bite your ass. lol

Ya i have pics but they are on my phone i will try to post some tommorow

If he’s already friendly with strangers, thats a great sign. Animals that are neglected are usually forever grateful to you for rescuing them. Most of our dogs and cats were either rescued or found abandoned, and they’ve all been great pets. My mom has a dog that was both abused and neglected- due to that it took years to break the dog’s fears. She still eats every meal like you’re going to take it away from her. It sounds like you will be OK though. Props to you for rescuing the dog- good luck!

Honestly; it sounds like you’re already attached to the pooch; therefore it will all be worth it in the end. There will be some tough times and situations; there always is with any pets. But most who are rescued like that from being neglected are some of the most loyal and loving dogs there are.

Just take your time with him; and treat him well; and I’m sure he’ll turn out to be a great dog for you.

training is about consistency and discipline. More so on your part than his. German Shepards are VERY smart dogs. He will catch on fast

Good for you. Glad you are taking care of this guy and it sounds like you already have a good relationship with the dog. He seems to be already loyal to you. Good story man. Best of luck to you and the dog. :tup:

:tup:

I don’t think you’ll have any major problems. Shepherds are extremely smart and loyal and really just need a “flock” to look over to be happy. Sounds like he’s going to a good home.

oh and don’t forget, owning a dog is fucking awesome.

Especially a Shepherd. I’m a little biased though…

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2476485625_3e39f424a5.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/2335599290_db2c394cf7.jpg?v=0
The wife almost has me talked into getting a 2nd one.

Awesome story. The dog may be a bit more work and require more attention (at least initially), but the reward will be greater as well. :slight_smile:

Did you test his temperment? This is important if you will have him around other people and animals. We have always had good luck adopting pets but they were always pups.

My current pit bull i can grab by the ears and pull him across the room without him getting upset. He also gets constant close affection from my wife and i, including lotsa cuddling and kissing. lol This was all very important to us because now we have a baby that will more then likely steal things and pull on him.

Show the dog who is boss and give him lotsa love and affection and he will be a good doggy.

:tup: I <3 my dog.

i got a corgi from the tonowanda shelter last year, crazy dingo.

Another thing when adopting you could possibly get pet insurance (when I adopted I was given a month free). This would probably cover some of the cost to help get him back to shape if you needed assistance.

:tup: good story.

When I was looking at cats, there was about a dozen or so kittens but I knew they would get scooped up fast. I saw a 4 month old cat with a broken leg and I knew if I didn’t take her nobody would, best decision ever as she has turned out to be such a sweet, and fun pet.

We got my dog from the spca. Shapard/Rotty mix…i miss him. If I didn’t work so much or could bring a dog to work I would get another one in a heart beat. My parents take great care of my little guy though, and I know he is way better off staying at home then at my apartment.

He gets way too much love and attention lol.

Best of luck, you will be oh so glad you did it.

no one beats my Star, hes a yellow lab. i swear he is a human that was turned into a dog