Pictures and story of what my ex-girlfriend did to her car, and now what should I do?

My ex-girlfriend put her 1997 Eclipse GST into a guard rail in the rain on the fourth of July getting on the Thruway in Henrietta. She was on the onramp and hit some standing water or a really slick spot, then proceeded to do a 360 degree spin. The front of the car hit first then the right rear quarter, then the rear as she spun around.

The insurance company totaled the car obviously. Seeing as she has about $4000 invested in maintence and repairs (Shep Tranny - stock rebuild: new 3-4, new OEM clutch, new control arms, done at Hybrid, new brake calipers, rotors, pads, new tires with only 400 miles on them :frowning: ) over the past 2 years I told her to buy it back and she could sign over the title to me and I would reimburse her for the buy back amount.

Damage to car is nothing too major, it looks worse than it really is, and no air bags deployed. We are going to put in on the frame machine later this week to atleast get that all pulled out. Only structural damage is in the front (core support, inner fender, and headlamp brackets), the rear is cosmetic. It has around 100K miles on it, and has been properly maintained for the time she owned it. It was her daily driver and execpt for a few incidents was very reliable. The body was almost flawless prior to the incident too:(

I found a donor 1997 GSX with a blown engine, no tranny, and no drive train. I decided not to buy the entire shell, so with help from Bobby we cut off from the strut towers forward, took the hood, fenders, side skirts, front and rear bumpers, and a couple buckets of misc parts. Best part is that the parts are all the same exact color which my body shop guy says there is only one variant for, so some things may not need to be painted, maybe a good buff. Yet, I am extremely picky so I might just have him respray the entire car the same Sarrona Red Color, and then do a Silver Pearl or something of that nature in the clear coat.

I am not sure if I should actually go through with this, since the title will be rebuilt after I register it, yet not branded, I fear I will not get more than $2000-2500 out of the car if I go to sell it in a year or two even though the car will really be in perfect shape then. I figure it will cost me around $3000 or so in labor depending on how far I go with everything, plus the cost of parts I bought and will still need. I have the money for the project, that is not the problem, and I plan on keeping the car basically stock as it is right now. Also, I know the car will be fixed the right way the first time, I 100% trust the guy doing the work he had a big part in making my Eclipse looks as clean as it did, he is definitely a Great Detailer! And I have seen some before and afters of his repairs, and some of the custom work he has done.

So Should I fix it?

OR

Should I make a post tomorrow selling the entire car and all the replacement parts I have for it all in one big bundle so whomever buys it gets everything, I will not part piece by piece out which I know is where I can make a ton of money but I just don’t have the time/space/ambition to do that. The only parts I don’t have yet are headlamps, and I need an upper IC pipe.

Here are some pictures:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/813306138_876aabcf7b.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/813305768_6f668f35b6.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/813305096_4344f2efce.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1205/812421929_8ccd72ad30.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/812421617_72f386e632.jpg?v=0

What does everyone think?
Tony

did you take a chunk of the firewall along w/the strut towers ?

if not, you already messed up. scabbing together frame rails and upper frame rails is a horrible idea, and leaves you no way to align the pieces, your just guessing if they are straight

plus its ugly and WEAK … your fucking with a crumple zone …if you get in another wreck and the welded area fails, that bitch can easily come thru the firewall / windsheild … dirrectly at people in the car

There is a reason its totalled…use it as a parts whore only if its worth the price in used parts to get what you need. Otherwise walk away.

shes your ex. rail her then let her figure out what to do with it.

that thing is fucked.

Not worth the time IMO.

Part it, and done.

It’s never going to be safe again, so the debate should be over right there. Scrap it.

If you’re real partial to the car/powertrain you should have taken that one with the blown motor and swapped your stuff into it.

The car’s fucked. Also, stay away from ex-girlfriends. That shit’s never good.

i totally misread this title as:

Pics of what my ex-GF did to my car, and now what should i do to her.

i expected vandalism pics, and plotting. :disappointed:

Same here. Quite a let-down.

That said, if you really want to salvage parts and put them in a worthwhile vehicle, put them in the GSX and get a tranny.

Why do you think it wont be safe again? Properly fixed it will be just as safe and within or better than factory specs.

Because it will be impossible to fix the damaged crumplezones, and fatgued sections behind it they may have been damaged across most of the front-end.

Based on HRK’s post it sounded like he was going to try grafting the chopped up parts car onto his.

Re-reading the original post I’m wondering if he chopped the parts car just as a quick way of bringing the parts home, or if he intends to use it’s frame.

But, if the frame/crumple zones are damaged, scrap it. It’s not worth the safety risk for a daily driven DSM. Some rare Porsche that gets driven on the weekend maybe, but not this car.

So the car’s only 10 years old with only 100k, yet it’s already needed $4g’s in maintenance? And now it’s wrecked and you’re considering dumping more time and money into it to get it back to where it was before the wreck?

Wow.

Abort misssion.

Seriously, run screaming.

Very well put. Just move on.

Ding, winner.

i see the pics of the car but pics or your newd ex aren’t showing up. What gives? You have some shitty hosting.

nothing shes your ex girlfriend…lol but yea the car has already had too much stress on critical areas of the chasis but thats just my opinion