Pictures and story of what my ex-girlfriend did to her car, and now what should I do?

+1 for abort mission

Why waste your time and money

Whats the buy back

Like I said, IF THE CAR IS FIXED PROPERLY, their is no reason it wont be safe. As far as taken two cars and making one that is a way of doing it. Only reason cars are totaled are because the cost of repair outweighs the value of car, not because of safety issues.

LOL at all the body shop experts in here saying it can’t be fixed:roll2: My Mustang was in far worse shape than this car was and it was easily repaired, so well that 99% of people that see my car can’t even tell it was totaled.

I’d like to know the background of the body shop experts in this thread and how they can diagnose a car based on a few pic from several feet back.

Exactly my point. The one real thing that is completely mangled is the core support. That will need to be rewelded in, and that is what why we cut so much off the other car. The inner fender is bent on the passenger side, not really mangled I would say. So I have the core support from the donnor car which we are going to weld in. I can get a new inner fender for like $100, which goes all the way to the firewall. That is basically all the damage, an eclipse fender weighs like 14 ounces I swear, it just looks very bad cosmetically. She was only going about 15-20 when she it, not enough to set off the air bags at the strut towers, etc. The frame rails look to be fine, yet we are going to put it on the frame machine to see what needs to be pulled out.

I have seen worse get fixed, and my guy feels it is a very straightforward repair.

It can be fixed. I don’t think anyone is disputing that. It’s just not worth it. Really, it’s not. It’s a damn eclipse… 10c/dozen :deadhorse:

The real question though, is why do the work, and pump money into it, to have a drastically lower resale value?

Does the car have serious sentimental value?

I guess I don’t understand why you’re doing this. :gotme: What’s the purpose? Did you pick up the wrecked car for a couple hundred or something and can have a turbo 2G for cheap if you fix it?

I’m willing to bet he got the buy back very very cheap.

I would have swapped the motor from this one into the GSX body, especially if the gsx body has a solid title. Dealing with salvage titles are a pita and also create an incredibly low resale value regardless of mods/how clean it is.

Tony since when are you two ex’s? Damn thats news itself, sorry to hear.

Either way I think its not worth it. All depends on your budget I guess, if all said and done for less than 4k it might be worth it, cuz you probably could sell it for the same afterwards.

Abort Mission DSM -> Start Mission Evolution 9.

+1 :word:

im also failing to see the pics of the newd ex.
hosting site must be down

If you plan on driving the car for the next couple years, then fixing it would be an ok option, but know that you’ll have a lot of headache getting it inspected to show it is back up to safety standards so you can actually get the salvage title. You’ll also have a drastically lower resale value, as noted before.

if you want to do this to flip the car and make money, good luck. Unless you do all the work yourself, find parts cheap, and have a body man who will work for peanuts, you are not going to come out ahead. The best and easiest solution would have been to grab the other shell, swap everything into that, and use that shell for parts. If you had a sentimental attachment to the car, then you coul always fix it later and swap everything back in when done.

Good luck either way, and let us know how it turns out.

Well the good thing is that the title was not branded. So I do not have to take it to Blossom Road for a Salvage inspection. That is a plus.

Next plus is that I have almost all parts needed for repair already. I do not have a lot really invested in it yet. I want to have a fun car that I can take to autocrosses, down to leichester, and have fun on the weekends, if something breaks, no big deal, I have two other cars, plus I kinda miss working on a DSM.

As for buying the “other” shell, that really would not have worked, the shell still had a lein on it, and there were some other issues, like no drivetrain whatsoever, and it was an absolute mess inside.

I do plan to keep the car for a while.

No real sentimental value to me, my ex was definitely attached to it but she is pretty much over it now I assume.

pull the fender / bumper / headlights and take more pics

also pics of the engine bay …

I’d like to know the background of the body shop experts in this thread and how they can diagnose a car based on a few pic from several feet back.

body work since i was 15
2 years of vo tech, where i actualy worked and learned … instead of fucking off
collision / refinishing / street roddding at Wyoming Tech
5 years in the industry after school

and i evaluate the damage from pictures in a very simple manner … i start of with posting a reply assuming the worst, and then i use subsequent replies from the original poster to narow down the damage and improve my answer

:slight_smile:

from a purely monetary standpoint, it will never be worth it - based on the simple fact that even with a clean carfax, a GSX in great shape isn’t worth a ton. Imagine what a GS-T with a wreck could go for. Unless if it had some serious sentimental value… :gotme:

best of luck with whatever happens.

OT: I can’t think of any ex’s of mine that are worth half this effort.

Id be interested in the tranny if you end up parting it out. Let me know.

:clap:

+2 for truth

this is the worst ex gf pics thread ever.

I worked at Autobahn BodyWerks for 4 years and while there is no doubt you can fix ANY car in ANY condition with enough time and $ it becomes an issue of being a worth while project and I dont think this particular car is a worthwhile project to bring back.