Places to buy xylene

Anyone know of places to buy xylene? The cheaper the better im mixing 5gal xylene with 15gal 93 octane

They have Xylene at Home Depot by the gallon. It’s around 10-12 bucks a gallon if I remember correctly. I get it for my wife once in a while as she uses it to clean her paint brushes and she repaints the house constantly. You could try paint supply stores.

I’d definitely recommend a water/meth kit or race gas instead, but that discussion was beat to death a couple years ago and I haven’t heard the word xylene since.

it was recomended to me by a guy I know who runs that and 93 mix daily in his 951. He has been pushing the limits of cars like mine he recently dynoed at 566rwhp at 29psi with another 10 or so to go on full race fuel. He tells me the 951 head wedge design loves aromatic hydrocarbons

Certain paint thinners like xylene and toluene are high in octane and you can mix them up to a certain % (around 25-30) with gas without issues in many cars, but there are other options like water/meth injection that make more sense. For instance, injecting methanol with a meth kit could give you higher octane than throwing xylene in your tank, plus the additional benefits of the charge cooling, and you’d only be using it when at high boost. You may use 2 quarts of methanol per 20 gallon tank of gas at $1.50 instead of 5 gallons of xylene in the tank at over 50 bucks.

If you’re going to run that much xylene I recommend adding a lubricant.

I wouldnt do it unless you have proof of gains. Race gas is simple-er, and wont dry out your rubber seals.
Like Mike said, this topic has been beat to death on LOTS of car forums. Its split down the middle of people that are for and against. I wouldnt doubt this going 5pgs.

xylene and toluene

One or both of these is really, really bad for you.
Don’t let it touch your skin.

Dude you should totally run trinitrotoluene. That shit makes so much power.

http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_xylene.php

[quote=“13005TEDGP,post:5,topic:32664"”]

I wouldnt do it unless you have proof of gains. Race gas is simple-er, and wont dry out your rubber seals.
Like Mike said, this topic has been beat to death on LOTS of car forums. Its split down the middle of people that are for and against. I wouldnt doubt this going 5pgs.

[/quote]

It’s plenty proven in the 944 world. Whether it’s the best solution or not is up for debate, but there is a long history of the top 944 guys running a mix.

I carry it, 18 a gallon.

Well there ya go. I knew it was expensive. Even at 12/gallon race gas makes more sense.

I never said the stuff doesn’t work. I just think there are better options.

add some nitropropane while your at it and retune for the extra timing and extra fuel you will need :slight_smile:

[quote=“ieatpaint315,post:9,topic:32664"”]

I carry it, 18 a gallon.

[/quote]

So which one kills your liver if you inhale or touch it?
Both?

xylene is slow drying toluene. i clean concrete stain from my hands a few times a month with xylene and i’m not dead. i’ve never been told be overly careful around either.

Mixed reviews…the one guy lost an eye but the other one loves it!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/494374_5f936c36b2.jpg

I try not to get any of that stuff on my skin.

[quote=“ieatpaint315,post:13,topic:32664"”]

xylene is slow drying toluene. i clean concrete stain from my hands a few times a month with xylene and i’m not dead. i’ve never been told be overly careful around either.

[/quote]

I am assuming you have MSDS on these items.:wink:

[quote=“BikerFry,post:7,topic:32664"”]

Dude you should totally run trinitrotoluene. That shit makes so much power.

http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_xylene.php

[/quote]

haha italian mobsters love to use it as an ignition enhancer…

fry your not a chemist also are you?

decided to just use 112 from innovative. damn this car pulls insanely fast at 20psi, the back end feels like its going to bottom out on boost and that was 4th gear