who's used xylene for diy race gas?

can you really go into sherwin williams and buy this stuff straight? :rofl: i hear you’ve gotta add a few ounces of tranny fluid into it because it doesn’t have any lubricants

I’m trying to cure a wee little bit of random knock i have. i’m not sure if it’s legitimate or not, it could very easily be the sensors picking up a external frequency. most likely i’m just lean. I’m honestly thinking lean right now but there’s no way for me to know short of a wideband. i figure some high octane fuel could help me out the best

any thoughts? a few gallons mixed into a tank of gas should be enough to show some results.

Yes you can buy it … I have a bunch of it at work, since its the only stuff that will break down oil based industrial paints. Dont get it in your eyes … you will go blind, says so on the label!

…Octane Booster?

Just go buy some race gas… its not worth the time of risk to your motor to build your own.

I agree! I have experimented with xylene mixes on my high compression v-twin and the results can be upredictable (at least they were for me). After going through the hassle of measuring, mixing, trying to find the same brand xylene I just went back to c16.

especially for a medium horsepower car like the GTP… Sunoco 110 would be fine if you are using it just to test an issue. I believe a good part in my motor popping was due to the shitty Sunoco 112… I should have had C16 in it for that kind of horsepower, but there was none around. So I settled for the 112, which costs me a lot more $$ than the difference in good fuel. Expensive lesson learned!

which station can i get sunoco 110?

edit - now i remember why i wanted to try xylene. is sunoco race gas leaded? i definitely can’t use leaded with my current O2 sensor

no its not leaded. the one that i remember was on rt 88 near the castle shannon fire dept but they are closed now the only other one i know of is the BP near new alexadria headin out to PRP on rt 22.

sunoco 110 is leaded.

at least the one that was in castle shannon was

octane booster does not boost your octane

it is a flame retardant, thats ALL it is

Sunoco 110 & 112 ARE leaded, they might make a street version… but the fuel I was using was leaded… got it at cambells sunoco in irwin.

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27560&highlight=race+gas

Same purpose different method?
/shrug
Never heard/read anything about it because I don’t need it :stuck_out_tongue:

as im sure you know, the higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns, this prevents knock, and gives you a longer flame for more power

octane booster basically is a flame retardant that will make the combustion less powerful, while increasing the burn time as i understand it.

plus the crap costs $5 and only raises your octane level one point, meaning you would need to use about 10 bottles of it to raise 90 to “100” octane in 15 gallons of fuel

the deal with high octane fuels is it’s less volatile, less likely to pre-ignite in the combustion chamber due to heat because it burns at a higher temperature. it does not necessarily mean more power though. the only thing it’s good for is preventing engine damage due to high combustion pressures (eventually translating into heat). lower octane fuel actually contains more BTUs of potential energy meaning if you can safely run low octane fuel you will make more power. this is not practical in boosted or high compression situations however. the way it benefits my car is due to knock retard, the pcms strategy to pull timing when it detects detonation

xylene is supossed to be 120 octane but it does not contain any lubricants in the fuel and will eat out your o-rings and plastic fuel lines eventually.

btw a gallon of xylene at sherwin williams is $14 and they sell it in 5 gallon containers…so pretty much $70 for enough for maybe a 2 fill-ups…and right now i’m not in a well enough financial situation to justify that

i added 2% fuel to the top of the maf table trying to see if it made any difference and this stupid cool weather snap isn’t making it possible for me to know if it changed anything.