Plan B

well, lets see. how about a crack whore beating her child. or maybe you get a call and theres a dead fetis in the garbage. maybe you get a call and you come across a dead body floating in the river and you notice it was a old high school friend. Maybe someone draws a gun on you and you have to put them down.

theres also rediculous amounts of paper work to go with each arrest. believe it or not theres alot more that goes down in the suburbs then you hear on the news.

Being a trooper and sitting on the thruway can be pretty boring; All of my cop friends say they love being cops, but I dont think they have the brains to do anything else.

If you want to work in Amherst you need a 4 year degree, in west seneca you need 60 credits and have to be a town resident for the past 5 years

can i have all the drugs you confiscate?

i’ve got a criminal justice degree and a pre-law degree as well.

i do think criminal justice was easy to get, but that could be because i took a huge interest in it - so it wasn’t really “going to school” for me. the courses were interesting, the papers were even better etc.

anyways, i thought about going to be a cop finally instead of a paralegal but… i can’t commit to the academy. i don’t want to go away for several months. if you can do it - go for it.

the benefits are amazing…at the police station i dispatched at the cops always said the best part of the job is “being able to retire in 20 years”. Then when asked what was the hardest thing about it, they said “working those 20 years”. Something to think about, with the shift work and being on call. Not always a glamorous job.

but i give it a :tup: if you have thick skin - do it.

edit- and go for a 4 year degree. they pay you more with your education at most places. i know this for a fact. different education, different pay scale.

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:23,topic:36782"”]

If you want to work in Amherst you need a 4 year degree, in west seneca you need 60 credits and have to be a town resident for the past 5 years

[/quote]

Holy hell, where do you people come up with this shit!

WRONNNNGG you need 60 credit hours for both departments. You have to live in the PD you wish to work in at the time of appointment.

So your primary motivator is to make as much money as possible in a job that requires as little effort as possible?

Let me know how that works out for you…

[quote=“BikerFry,post:27,topic:36782"”]

So your primary motivator is to make as much money as possible in a job that requires as little effort as possible?

Let me know how that works out for you…

[/quote]

Actually Fryman, in the police world that is how it works. The higher in rank you are the less work you actually do yourself and the more $$$ you make. The downside is the responsibility goes up tremendously.

Yeah but how to you get higher in rank? Sitting around avoiding any work or responsibility?

[quote=“BikerFry,post:29,topic:36782"”]

Yeah but how to you get higher in rank? Sitting around avoiding any work or responsibility?

[/quote]

Promotions are by examination as well. Doing decent work is an obvious plus side to actually getting the promotion.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:29,topic:36782"”]

Yeah but how to you get higher in rank? Sitting around giving bj’s?

[/quote]

Yes

and to say its not stressful, unless you have no soul I guess it wouldn’t be stressful.
Lets give you this true story.
Cop “A” is working a night shift the day before his wedding. Just before the end of his shift, he gets a call that there was a load noise in front of someone’s house and a possible accident. When he gets on scene he notices a motorcycle that has been lawed down. He calls in mercy flight because the bike is so mangled before he even finds the guy. After frantically running around looking for the guy he sees a leg in a field and runs up to him. When he gets there he realizes what happened. This leg is not only a leg, its the lower half of a body. The other half isn’t far away, and the guy is still alive, with his guts and blood laying all over. He whispers to the cop to tell his wife he loves her. He sits with the man for the last 5 minutes of his life until the ambulance gets there and pronounces him dead. The guard rail sliced right threw him. Cop “A” spends the next morning puking and crying. Less then 24 hours later the cop gets married. Think that is a little stressful? I would.

Cops do a job, and I give a good cop props.

45k is nothing to sneeze at in buffalo. It goes a decently long way.

[quote=“JustinH,post:32,topic:36782"”]

45k is nothing to sneeze at in buffalo. It goes a decently long way.

[/quote]

no it doesnt

it buys you an 80k house in cheektowaga, and a very modest car.