why do you guys hate the Amherst PD so much?

Okay, so I was driving like a jerk last night on the way to work. I was running late. Cop called me on it. I got pulled over in the parking lot at my work.

“Do you know why I pulled you over?”
I knew exactly why, but I said “no” anyway, in my best ‘I’m about to piss my pants’ voice.
“Well, you spun your wheels turning onto xxx road, you were going 43 in a 30 on that road, and you almost hit that guy in the crosswalk!”
“I’m terribly sorry.”
“Let me see your license and registration.”
he goes off…sits in his car for about 15 minutes.

Ha came back with just one ticket…for the “Unsafe start”, which is the spinning of the wheels.
“I could have gotten you on the illegal exhaust, no reflectors in front, and excessive speed in the parking lot too. You gotta stop driving like that.”
and he took off.

I learned my lesson, and I won’t be driving like that anymore. too many tickets = small wallet.

This cop was cool.

And funny thing is, of all the tickets he could have wrote, this is the one that if I fight it I could win, because my traction light didn’t come on. It always does when I spin the wheels.

I love the amherst cops… they keep my house safe :gotme:

well, through all the other ticket threads I’ve seen on here, it seems like all the good-neighborhood cops are assholes. They’re really not if you’re not an asshole to them first. (BTW: I’ve seen APD bashing on here…and I agree with you Nikuk.)

i don’t know how your gonna prove to the judge that your traction light didn’t come on lol thats kinda your word against the cops, and he’s gonna win everytime. but thats cool he didn’t give u any other tickets

^ that’s why I said “if” I fight it, I “could” win. I’m still unsure if it’s worth the trouble. I mean, he was cool about it, and I could be elbow deep in ticket debt, and no license.

then dont fight it.
You were not observing traffic laws, so consider yourself lucky and pay the one ticket that You did get :slight_smile:

you wont win…i gauruntee it, unless you have a lawyer or you know somebody.

i won…with a lawyer…

i raced a bike…cop was pissed but was cool…reduced it to unsafe start…and since i had 2 movin violations that week i got my dads lawyer…ended up with 125$ parking ticket in amherst, $100 parking ticket in WS, and 500$ lawyer bill(pretty cheap, considering, cool lawyer), no points no school : )

plead not guilty, go there, da will give you a fine, end.

That really doesn’t sound like you won…

Amherst police pulled me over at 10 PM and gave me a ticket for tint. I wasn’t speeding or doing anything wrong. I got it reduced but 10 PM! I also got pulled over during the daytime on my way to my friend’s wedding and was late. Now i have no tints. Lesson learned.

I heart APD they never write me tix :gotme:

no points, no school

the reduction in the tickets alone cover the price of the lawyer fees…

people tend to not like amherst cops beceause sometimes they get bored and look for things to do … and pull people over for silly reasons.

I’ve had no bad experiences with them bothering me (probably because I don’t speed in amherst, have tints or any mods), but I’ve heard some silly stories of people getting pulled over for license plate lights and minor things like that.

The only really bad thing I remember with APD is when they told a big crowd of us peacefully hanging out outside bubble tea, drinking our funny little drinks to “disperse.”

pfff. goofy. :roll:

haha, i show off new big words like that when i learn them too. the other day i told a customer to have a supersonic day - applicability aside, i just wanted to use it.

I am a 55yo professional and never had a problem with any cop until I moved to Amherst. I would say the Amherst PD sucks ass. An off-duty Amherst cop who had obviously been drinking didn’t like my driving, so he called his po-po buddies who pulled me over. The off-duty cop was completely out of control and unprofessional. He tried to start a fight with me. I filed a complaint and was told, in effect, that I was SOL and there was no recourse. Basically, from the point of view of the Amherst PD we are living in a police state and they don’t feel subject to any civil authority.

When I was a long haired, dope smoking 16yo I never had a problem with the police in the big cities I lived in.

Ive been pulled over quite a few times in amherst and everytime except for once the cops were damn cool with me. Not to mention I had an exhaust tip you could fit a cd in and a bumper sticker that says I hate cops.

I guess I just get lucky.

cops are cops, theres cool ones and theres assholes.

I would bet there was recourse, just because you did not see it doesn’t mean it didnt occur. Working in police station I know that the officers get complaints. The supervisors know those officers who are constantly getting themselves in hot water. What would you liek them to have done? Suspend the guy because he got into a fight with you because you probably had your view on something and he had his? Even if you were right, and I will go ahead and assume you were, its words against words. Again if these types of things continue to happen against a certain officer, thigns will be taken care of. At this point something definitly could have been done against him.

just dont go to court.