Plan B

No not the birth control…

I finally gave up my get rich or die trying attitude today and decided to step back from my pursuit of being some sort of business major and become an officer of the law.

Maybe it was all the recent cop posts that toyed with my mind subliminally or all the near police interactions I have had in in the past few weeks, but I decided to take the plunge into ever average blue collar lifestyle.

Cops (especially in Amherst, or just traffic cops in general) just seem to have the easiest job in the world with potential of some growth (5 Amherst cops last year made over $100,000).

I have asked around since HS but what is everyones take on this profession? I think it would be great to be in a car all day, pestering ricers, sorting out trashy domestic disputes, maybe the occasional minor drug bust.

Worst case scenaro, I go back to school if I dont like it but every officer I have ever asked always give me the same reply… “best job in the world!”

What do you guys think about it.

can i drive your car?

More power to you. As long as you’re not corrupted, go for it. I was thinking about becoming a police officer. And a damn good one too. As long as you don’t have power trips and think you’re macho, why not?

Id like to be a cop…

Except id want a better car…

SABOTAGE !

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/loucoventry/sabotage.jpg

remember. the cool kids cut the long way. =]

Go on a few ride alongs first if you haven’t already. Its not as glorious as you think. Its not bad, I was thinking about doing it for a while myself. All I gotta say is that when you become a cop you become paranoid as hell. My buddy Chris won’t even go to church without his gun now. Anyone from Rochester may have read in the paper about the cop shooting a neighbors dog while on a walk around his neighborhood. Thats my buddy haha.

being a cop is for unimaginative, boring, power hungry people who really have no idea what to do in life. i can see you really are lame when you stated your original goal was to “get rich or die trying”

ive seen some shit in my day, and not once have i ever wished a cop was there, nor have i ever been happy to see a cop.

but, if thats what you want to do… run with it.

EDIT- i should say suburban/rural cop. metro cops get a huge :tup: from me.

[quote=“Jam,post:8,topic:36782"”]

being a cop is for unimaginative, boring, power hungry people who really have no idea what to do in life. i can see you really are lame when you stated your original goal was to “get rich or die trying”

[/quote]

Just stating that my goal all through school was to make a lot of money no matter what the profession or workload it took. I know what I wanna do, this is just a cop out (no pun intended)…

what do you do in your profession that is so imaginative jam, barring a radio host career I cant immagine it being the glory job you speak of if your posting at 330 in the morning?

Getting a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice is not a walk in the park.

My girlfriend just finished up her’s from Hilbert, and finished near the top of her class. Its a real challenging major.

We’re going to Nevada at the end of the month, she is testing for the CSI department, and doesn’t want to be a cop, but alot of the guys in her class are going for police jobs.

I thought about being a cop, but I would ONLY be a macho corrupt cop. I would even deal drugs on the side, and do roids regularly…I think city cops kick ass. A guy I worked with in the highway dept. used to be a city cop, and he was the coolest guy ever. The paranoid thing with the gun is true, I know the retired guy I worked with bought it to work for years…and we only blacktopped roads hahah. If I was a cop and had my carry all, I think that I would take it everywhere just due to the fact that if a situation occurred (bank hold up, car accident, baby Jesus raising from the dead) I could take care of it, and possibly save a life. After I get my target permit i’ll go for my carry all.

good for you :tup:

it would be a pretty stressful job IMO, but on the bright side, it would never get boring. You’d probably get to see some strange shit being a police officer lol

I also just love the idea that if all goes according to plans, I can be making 45k when im 21 and around 60k a year before im 30, it just seems all to good to be true and the only thing that bothers me is the salary cap but like I said once I get rolling I will try to get back to school.

not a job i’d ever want… everyone hates you for doing your job. the people that don’t hate you are likely dieing, and will have nothing to say to you.

sounds thankless, also i don’t think you really get to think much on your own which kind of sucks. you just follow orders, sounds lame :frowning:

Whatever you do, don’t get a 4 year degree in CJ.

Police departments don’t like this. They want diversity and different ways of thinking.

All that criminal justice education is going to be retaught to you anyways in the academy. Plus you only need 60 credits to be a police officer. Why throw yourself further into educational debt for a job thats going to put you out @ 35k a year?

lol, try to pass the test and even get selected first. Theres alot more to it then just deciding one morning you want to be a cop. I already went into the nypd and decided it wasnt for me. I hated the city life. Ive been trying to get back into it locally but competition is much harder and towns hire much less.

Well this is my way of thinking when it comes to careers. If you’re going to go into a profession for the sake of money, don’t. You’ll never be happy, because you might completely despise that job, yeah you’ll have money, but it won’t be the same. Find a job that you’re going to be passionate about, a job that when you come home from work you can honestly say that you enjoyed your day. That’s the problem with a lot of people these days is that they make the money, but hate their jobs. If you really think that you want to become a police officer, research it, but don’t commit yourself to it until you are positive that you’re going to like it.

dude its a cop job

you get a gun you get to do wahtever you want for the most part!
and you get to beat the piss out of a car that won’t ever cost you ANYTHING! to get it fixed, just return it to your base and get in a different one.

and get paid to pretty much babysit sometimes and cuff people up, how hard can this job be?

Yeah^^ What he said

I really want to hear from a cop who dislikes his job I guess. Other than the salary there has to be no downsides. How many suburban police officials go home at the end of the day and say they are stressed out. Other than a boss riding your ass (which happens at any job) how much mental liabilty are you bringing home from this job.

[quote=“Dlucas,post:15,topic:36782"”]

Whatever you do, don’t get a 4 year degree in CJ.

Police departments don’t like this. They want diversity and different ways of thinking.

All that criminal justice education is going to be retaught to you anyways in the academy. Plus you only need 60 credits to be a police officer. Why throw yourself further into educational debt for a job thats going to put you out @ 35k a year?

[/quote]

WRONG. Federal agencies are looking for diversity. Any local or even county department is only concerned with the minimum required 30 or 60 credit hours depending on the location.

[quote=“JDMAllstars,post:18,topic:36782"”]

dude its a cop job

you get a gun you get to do wahtever you want for the most part!

[/quote]

I don’t think so lol. You can get away with doing the minimum and screwing with people on a small level, that’s about it.

[quote=“turbociv,post:16,topic:36782"”]

lol, try to pass the test and even get selected first. Theres alot more to it then just deciding one morning you want to be a cop. I already went into the nypd and decided it wasnt for me. I hated the city life. Ive been trying to get back into it locally but competition is much harder and towns hire much less.

[/quote]

Competition is real hard. Pass the test, then the physical exam, then the interview, then the academy, then make it past probation, THEN you have a job.