Plane on a conveyor belt (small scale) JUST TOOK OFF !!!!!!

I can’t wait to formulate the list of people tomorrow who i want to SUCK MY BALLS!

I know Jrod and Boardjnky4 were tops on my list

drop them draws baby, I got the whipped cream all ready…mmmmmmm

I still can’t believe the pilot thought it wouldn’t take off, and he was so sure about it!

[Yup, planes tires are on the ground and it is moving forward, another FAIL for mythbusters being able to constrain an experiment properly and then passing it along for broadcast.

The conveyor belt did fail to meet the planes speed. How else would it move in the positive x direction with the wheels still contacting the ground?

More importantly the original question is based on the premis of a TREADMILL not a conveyor belt. Mythbusters failed to scale a determined area to define the treadmill. They aso failed to see they needed to match the planes terminal veloctiy, not it’s take off speed.

(which in reality becomes obvious after watching the experiment)

:bloated:

are you quoting somebody or are you full of fail today?

apparently owning a plane doesn’t exempt you from moron status.

How is a treadmill different from a conveyer?
It sucks that I missed it. :frowning:

Its not rocket surgery… oh wait… How can a rocket fly in space
with no air to create lift? (and by space, I mean a vacuum)

Ever seen an airport walkway or horizontal “escalator”. Ever see a tread mill? Are they the same?

true, technically a tread mill was developed to be used to by slaves/horses/mules to grind mill grain when wind,water power, and funny people in wooden shoes couldn’t be harnessed. So, what’s your point?

Bottom line here, the plane is unaffected by whatever the ground surface is doing. The truck could have started out pulling the plane at 50mph or a 100mph in the opposite direction and it would have still taken off just as easily (neglecting rolling and rotational friction within the wheels)

I knew people would still fucking argue the wrong theory…

I never said it would or would not. That is not my arguement. My arguement is that mb are hacks and take the first results that come to them.

seriously?

turn yourself 180* and they are the same.

no, *wheels speed

dude even if the treadmill was spinning at 759843 million times the wheel’s speed (assuming there is no friction in the wheels) it could move in the positive X direction very easily…

Wheelspeed/treadmill speed is relative. Positive X is global.

you always seemed to know what you were talking about in the past, arent you an engineer or at least dabble in it… i dont see how you dont get it :bloated:

Again I am not argueing the theory, I am argueing the experiment method.

Yes, that is why I am objectively looking at how the conducted they experiemnt, how they defined the experiment, and how the experiment got the results it did.

I would have prefered if the measure the planes wheel velocity, the required take of distance, the trucks (conveyors) velocity, and most importantly take off time.

but… if the plane is on ground that isnt moving… the speed of the wheels IS the speed of the forward motion at the time of liftoff (which i think was measured at 25 mph)

With the tarp moving in the opposite direction at 25mph the wheels would be moving at ~50mph at take off

they also did measure the required take off distance at ~85 feet

and the trucks velocity in the opposite direction ~approx 25mph to start and then flooring it when the plane started to move.

so im not quite sure what your trying to say

I think we can all agree that the Mythbuster’s Crew never claim to be going about this in a scientific approach, but more of a backyard approach.

These are the same ways you or I would test in our back yards if we had bigger back yards (i.e. no wind tunnels, no complex analytical equipment, no atmospherically controlled environments) . I know that most of their experiements aren’t “scientific” but it is just as entertaining and it can help us draw our own conclusions…

Let’s be real here… The “ideal” conditions would be just too expensive to bust a myth. I can’t see spending millions to do a 100% controlled experiment to prove a myth that should never be developed as a real world situation.