POR-15

Does anyone, locally, carry Por-15 rust prep products?

I need the primer in Gray as I know my little can wont be enough.

Jacek if you want to go halfs on a gallon, let me know. I need to do the underbody of the e30 and enginebay this weekend. It’s coming home from the blaster!

What is this stuff?

KS auto has em in stock

I can do that but we would need another can or some shit to store it. Im going to hit the underside of the Mustang so I know Ill use it.

I want it by friday tho. Are you spraying or brushing?

Excellent, thank you

Brushing. I would like it for the weekend as well.

let me know.

I might drive to KS today. You want 2 quarts? and price cap of any sort?

well, if they only have it in quarts, no sense in you buying it for me, but if you can get a gallon, i’ll give you 50% of your final cost.

Honestly if they have it in quarts I would probably prefer it that way then fucking around with trying to split a gallon. The lousy $10 or whatever extra is worth the convenience.

I’ll see when Im there and let you know.

I’ve seen quarts and gallons at K&S.

Just to throw it out there…NAPA offers a knock off brand that works just as well, and a bit cheaper. Its ~made~ for semi rigs but, I put a gallon (w. brush) on a friends pick up frame and its still solid.

How much prep work is involved with this stuff??? Can POR-15 (or Napa equivalent) be sprayed/brushed on over rust??? I have a few spots I’d like to hit on my SHO.

Yeah, you can brush it on over rust, but you have to remove the loose stuff first.

When I used it I bought their degreaser and metal ready cleaner stuff also. I wire wheeled off the loose rust, degreased it, wiped on the metal ready stuff, let it dry and then I brushed on the POR-15. Worked great but you could probably get away with just wire wheeling off the loose rust and brushing the POR-15 on.

You can spray it on but you’d have to thin it out quite a bit.

Spary Tech Coatings Locally - 716-823-1122 . The guy brought the stuff to my house! cool dude

edit: also buy the kit Marine Clean, Metal Ready and por15

smaller would be better. resealing the cans sucks

keep the unused portion in the fridge it lasts longer

here is a trick to resealing that stuff… if you have a mig welder, take some mig gas and put some in the container before you close it… its intert and wont cause teh stuff to get ruined…

Wear high quality gloves, trust me i got the cheap gloves and lets say it was a mess. This shit does NOT come off your skin.

I’ve been using it for a while now. When you reseal the canisters, use a piece of saran wrap between the lid and the can, otherwise you ain’t getting that back apart anytime soon.

Squirt the surface with the Marine Clean to get the surface contaminants off, rinse / dry, coat with the Metal Ready, it zinc coats the surface and neutralizes the rust, spray / dry, and coat with a min. of two coats POR.

Look in my '68 Mustang DIY thread, I show the ingredients and the process. :tup: I’m doing my 300M doors this year to rust proof them.