Possible Warped Rotar...or something else?

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS, i noticed a few weeks ago a slight grinding noise from the front right brake, today while driving home from school it turned into a squeaking metal grinding noise almost as if the pad was knocked loose or something, i checked the rotar and its not scratched or anything, any idea what this could be? its only on the right front brake, im thinking either its a warped rotar, messed up pad or possibly ball joint (who knows), i havent taken the wheel off yet cuz i wanted to ask around first, so if anyone knows or has an idea thatd be great, thanks!

Pads??? Warped rotors are a myth.

haha ummmmm pull the caliper off and take a look?!

you prob need brake pads

ah yeah, i just noticed i wrote that too, do u think it might be a worn down pad? its not making that regular squeaking, it sounds like the pad is getting knocked outa place and grinding against something like if u drags a heavy piece of metal across a concrete floor

why dont you take 10 minutes and look for yourself?

Sounds like you needed new pads a few weeks ago.

False. If all your lugs nuts are not tightened down to the same amount of pressure, then it will allow rotors to warp over time.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

FTW.

Not to be an asshole, but 10 minutes could easily answer your question.

Is it constant noise or just when you brake? I had wheel bearings go on a Cavalier and they sound like that. It was a constant sound while driving.

yeah, its not that im lazy, but ive been working and havent had time to put my car up on the jacks to take the wheel off, but i wasnt sure if anyone knew if it was an eclipse problems or maybe if it was something to do with the ball joints cuz they go on 2nd gens easily i heard, but yeah im gonna take it off this weekend and hopefully ill figure out the problem

wow, that link is really worth the 15 minutes it took to read… a lot of information from someone who knows their stuff

ROTO[SIZE=2]R[/SIZE]

hey, well i took off both wheels, get this…

the dealership put 9 inch rotars on my car, stock calls for 10-1/8 inch rotars, so my brake pads were overhanging the rotar by a good 1/4 inch lol, i ended up replacing my pads (obviously) along with buying new rotars, so all in all, the thing cost my around 70 dollars, it helps that i did the work myself, compared to paying up the ass for a garage to do the work lol

:stuck_out_tongue: Glad you got it fixed. I’d take those rotors back to the dealership and play ring toss with the service manager’s _______ .

Yeah really… jesus that’s bad…

i laughed for a good 15 mins when i saw the pads lol

anyone on here who takes their car(not under warranty) to a shop for a brake job should be kicked in the nuts. its the biggest waste of money ever. takes about an hour to do the entire car. anyways… im lovin the eclipse chris!

EF hatch > SVT contour :smiley:

just fixed this problem with my car. sounded like a train on train tracks

change your pads!