Powdercoat or Paint

How can you tell whether something is powdercoated or painted without ruining it? I was told that my wheels were powdercoated, but in my opinion they look and feel like were painted… thanks in advance.

a good powdercoating job can look just like paint, but powercoating is a bit more scratch and blemish resistant. if its real hard to scratch its prob powercoated

aka

you have to smell it.

or find an inconspicuous spot… put a drop of brake fluid and let it set… powdercoat will not react to the brake fluid, paint will generally bubble up and peel away.

Also, if you do see a rock chip, or scratch anywhere, try to see if there is 2 or more colored layers. Paint is usually primered and you will see this layer under the aesthetic layer. Rarely is powdercoat 2 different colors unless it was a translucent sprayed over a base color.

look for any spots where a rock hit it … or if one of the wheels has a lil curb rash … powder coat hands on like its welded on

There’s a small portion inside the hub bore that has been chipped. I am able to scratch it with my nail and it continues to chip off… I was already suspicious, but I needed evidence before I went off on them.

sounds either painted or has very poor prep b4 PC’ing

solvents. use the inside of a spoke with either lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, or general paint remover. allow a spot to soak. like will remove the like. if you are not inlined to wait, use an x-acto to peel of a spot, look for primer. overspray can be looked for if it was an average paintjob.

Most likely painted then :tdown:

werd. powdercoat wont come off with your finger nail.

Man im so fucking annoyed… I waited since the beginning of December to get these wheels, because their powdercoaters were “busy” from the holiday season. I get the wheels and they tell me its the right hub bore and the shit obviously is a 73.1mm not 57.1mm (I put the wheels on anyways just to see how they look). I call back and complain to get some hub centric rings. Later that day I popped off the center caps, because I wanted to put a different one on and I noticed the paint was chipping. You guys think I can ask for a partial refund on the wheels? I paid an additional $200 for powdercoating them… thanks in advance.

edit: Just a thought - the wheels come painted from manufacturer… what if the powercoaters did not strip the original paint. Would this pose the same scenario of powdercoat coming off?? I’ll try and get some pictures of the inside of the hub bore where its chipping off…

or urine