Power Steering Issue...

Ok so I have been have problems on and off with my power steering, some weeks it works ok and others not so much. Lately it has been getting worse however.

As I turn the wheel it goes from loose to tight and so forth.

No whining noise from the pump AT ALL.

New belt put on 2 weeks ago. (properly adjusted as of yesterday, it worked good the day I put the new belt on also)

Fluid level is right where it should be when cold and hot.

Jacked up the front wheels, turned car on and with the cap off turned the wheel all the way to the left then to the right to force any air that may have been in the lines out (did that about 5 times)

No play/gap in the steering itself (thought it might have been the rack and pinion, but that kind of eliminates that)

So I guess my question is…is it the power steering pump itself or am I overlooking something else? I just don’t want to drop $130 + core fee if it isn’t the problem.

:dunno

Binding in the steering column under load.

steering rack servo unit going bad(the actual power head on the rack that the column attaches to is the servo unit).

Pump pressure bypass opening creating dead spot in system.

Just a few possible reasons…

Free diagnosis and a perfect candidate to fix the problem ^ :lol

Prolly rack or a variable rate steering sensor . Look on p.s pressure line and see if there is a sensor in it . If there is unplug it and see how that feels .

Thanks guys, will look into all those suggestions tomorrow and get back to you if I come to a conclusion or not!

What car is this on anyway?

98ish Legacy 2.2 if I recall.

Yeah its a 98 Legacy Outback but with the EJ22 swapped into it.