power steering removal

ii leave from a friends house around midnight last night and hear a whine that varies in rpms and sounds like a supercharger so i pull over, figure its a belt, and keep driving, soon after the noise stops, not it only makes it when i try to turn the wheel, also, now my wheel is extremely hard to turn, even moreso than if i had no power steering at all, so i figure either the fluid all leaked out or my pump is binded, either way i dont really want to deal with it, especially in this weather, so , my question is, besides cutting and crimping the lines on the rack, how do i turn the pump into just an idler pully, and is this even nessecary?

RS240 made an idler for his, try PMing him and he can probably help you out. I can’t remember what we used to make the idler.

Because the KAs PS belt drives … something else (alternator? can’t remember) you can’t just toss the pump.

But you only do that to free up the motor and lose less hp through the belts.

If you just don’t want PS, leave the pump where it is.

are you absolutely sure that the p/s fluid is leaking (ie. you’ve topped it up and tried driving for a while to see if your reservoir drains)?

does your car have HICAS? if so, the lines that run along the passenger side to the rear axle are most likely the culprit.

the pump only makes noise when it’s low on fluid… if you give it time to drain completely you can drive around with an empty p/s system and it won’t make any noise (and it’ll even get easier to steer).

i wouldn’t recommend cutting/crimping your lines (especially not at the steering rack :shock: … you don’t want to do more damage than there already is).

if you have HICAS, and you’ve established that your p/s leak is coming from those lines, you can simply eliminate the HICAS system by cutting the lines at the firewall (right before they go under the car to the rear) and looping them together with a short piece of rubber tubing and a few hose clamps (don’t worry, at this point in the p/s system the lines are not under high pressure). this quick fix will simply recirculate the fluid back to the pump while bypassing a leaky HICAS system.

sounds ghetto, i know, but it worked like a charm for me. 8)

good luck with it.

do u really want a car with no power steering? cuz ive driven lots of 240s in city with no powersteering and i must say its a B*TCH especially parking the car! i say u go buy some used working parts on the board and fix it up :wink:

right when it started happening it was making noise, then i put a bottle of fluid in, it made the noise a while longer, then it stopped. now i have the worst steering feel ever, its like not having power steering and being at a stop all the time, the wheel talks the same amount of force whether im at a stop or 50 mph i think the fluid probobly did leak out, i dont have hicas.
im gonna check the lines in the next couple days and see if i can locate the leak, if not im just gonna get rid of it, i cant drive it like this forever, its horrible

i have the same thing…no power steering but the belt for the power steering is removed. and the lines are gone…

i need dohc lines neone have some for cheap?

I have been driving without PS for over a year. Not the best but live able. You are easily strong enough to drive with it for awile especially if you are a drive mechanic and don’t feel like rolling around in the cold.

you can’t just toss the pump

wut are the problems that can happen with no belt being connected…

Look where the belt runs, then come back and ask that, dude :roll:

it runs to the damn ps pump…

and i never left :lol: …

so now that the confusion is cleared up…wut are the problems with this…

and sorry i dont know every little thing about a paticular engine.

on my sr the power steering runs from the crank pulley to the ps pump and thats it…

dont see why the ka would be different

dude…wut he said thoo… is that u cant scratch the belt al together…on my sr there is no belt for now… and i was asking him if this posses to a problem…for example,the belt might put a certain force on the engine allowing it to run a certain way…BUT he never answered if this is the case…

in ur case ur fine all together cuz u just said ur belt is on…

that belt runs off the crank obviously, and the p/s pump, and water pump, neh?

yes that is ovious enough… i think the confusion here is u said u cant just scratch the belt altogether?..

and im just wondering wut will happen if theres no belt and no power steering hooked up?

You can’t get rid of the pump. The belt on the pump is the same belt for the water pump. So in doing so your engine over heats and blows up.