Price Gouging Vs the Gas Pump

Think logically here for a second (half of nyspeed just logged off, oh noez!)
A Gas station pays X amount of dollars for 5000 gallons of gas on monday.
During the week, sometimes once a day the price goes up 2 or 3 times, on that same tank of gas.
How can the gas they already payed for cost more, its the same gas?!
its a deliberate price gouge.
Now I know people are going to say blah blah they are preparing for if or when the next 5000 gallons they buy blah blah blah.
Most gas stations pay a fixed rate for thier gas.
I just dont get how thats legal or even logical.

they also (albeit, not as often) change the price just the same when it drops.

But I do agree, it should be per shipment/tank but no dice. Then again, they probably don’t run them dry either before re-filling

Do you even know what the fuck price gouging is?

just check every Mobil in this area

Yes its what big oil has been doing sense 2004.

Oh god. Shut up about gas prices. Deal with it.

no. try again.

those tanks get refilled a few times per week.

1. That’s not price gouging. Price gouging is “I’m the only station in town that has gas left. $50 a gallon. Take it or leave it.”

2. You touched on it, but from a moronic point of view. Gas stations finance their next wholesale fill-up by selling the current one. If their current fill-up cost them $50,000, but their next one is going to cost $60,000, they need to get $60,000 out of the current one, regardless of what they paid, plus their given margin per gallon. If their next one is going to be cheaper, they can sell at a discount. I can go into an explanation of LIFO accounting here, but I’m sure you had enough trouble with Course I Math in 9th grade.

3. Gas stations do not pay a fixed rate for their gas. Who would be eating the difference when the price keeps going up? The refiners? As in, the ones posting the biggest profits ever for a company? Not likely

4. :fail:

Well… Typically for “price gouging” to occur, and someone correct me if I don’t have this right, a business has to have an unfair advantage in the marketplace that allows them to charge a higher price than they could in a normal competitive free market. Say a monopoly for instance.

Last I checked there’s a gas station on every corner of every major street in America. I’m pretty sure if one tried to price gouge they would simply lose all of their business.

Did you know that the typical margin on gasoline for a gas station is only 1-2%?

You had it right in your first post, they are basing the price on current market value. As the cost of gas fluctuates so rapidly, they have to continually adjust their price in order to be able to afford their next shipment.

:lol: at all you people trying to talk sense into Just Karter.

There’s a reason no one even responded to his stupidity in the oil prices thread. :wink:

jaded much?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You are dumb

lol

everyone is shredding each other today, NYSpeed is GREAT!

its people like him that make me sad that natural selection doesnt really effect people… cuz that fucker would have been dead long ago

:lol:

i probably say something like this on average 3x per day. about numerous people. :ham:

It does effect people.
People who make dumb choices end up dead, and people who try to stay alive normally stay alive.

yea… but if it wasn’t for all this infrastructure… u would definetly be too dumb to feed yourself…

that isnt true at all, I can sruvive in the streets without a problem and I have.
Thats alot more than I can say for the 89% of spoiled rich kids on this forum.
I wasnt born with a silver spoon.