private wine storage facilities in western new york.

i know theres alot of people from the area on here so i thought id ask. im looking for a private wine storage facility in the buffalo/lewiston area. all i can find are storage lockers which are insufficient considering humidity levels during summer.

if anyone has any tips, lemme know. buffalo has some decent dining destinations so i have reason to beleive there is a good wine culture in the area, which leads me to beleive there must be somewhere offering these services since few people have the means to properly store their cellars in their own homes. point me in the right direction if you know anything.

i’ve never heard of this… you mean like a place to store wines for personal use?

why not just get something for your house or use a Canadian one?

i sell some pretty awesome wine cooler columns… other then that, i can’t help.

Not sure about the Buffalo area but some restaurants in Rochester have private wine lockers that you pay monthly for and use when your going to dinner there. Might be worth calling some of the nicer restaurants in the area your looking for.

those lockers are likely for you to store wines in order to drink whislt dining at these restaurants. and you probably can only store really showpiece bottles from your personal collection and then bottles that youve purchased through the restaurant. theres few proprietors that are gonna eat their mark up on alcohol just to allow you to drink well.

bing, its basically a temperature controlled wine cellar/storage locker. theres on ive been to a couple times in downtown toronto where you can rent anywhere from a 100 bottle capacity to a cellar the size of an small one bedrrom apartment. some peoples collections are worth upwards to $1M+ so security and insurance is key. im talking retna/fingerprint scans and keycards. i know one guy who buys rhone releases $100k at a time and his locker probably requires a semen deposit to confirm his identity before it releases the vapour lock.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

also, getting one in the US is key right now because the LCBO jacks up everything and we pay a higher tax. basically, buying california/oregon/washington wine in the US is about 65% cheaper when purchasing domestically rather than through LCBO or private distributor. drinking american wine in canada is not worth it if youre serious about value as opposed to status perception. i DO really like alot of cali/oregon wines, though. i just want to be paying the real price of them.

and international wine is some whole other shit. 2009 is gonna be a benchmark year for premium bordeaux. so much so that the lcbo had increased pricing upwards to 30% for the newer vintage since asia is eating up more and more of the premium releases and the amount coming to canada/us is gonna take a major hit. somehow, because of lcbo’s monopoly on the province, US is not jacking these prices up and you can buy 09 bordeaux futures in the states at a serious discount comparatively. which means if one were to cellar some 1st growth 09s stateside for a couple years, you could make some wicked coin when you put it to auction later on. its basically like buying stocks in apple before the ipad dropped.

Yeah that is what I said…

No and no. Not that it matters because it isn’t what your looking for but these places don’t require you to store just your showpiece bottles nor do they require you to purchase the bottles through the restaurant. They are making money off the fee you pay to have / maintain the locker. Also the fact that you pay for the locker typically means you dine at the restaurant often. The more often you dine there the more revenue they generate.

That sounds interesting, would love to learn more about that.

Yeek thats rough.

Pretty sure I read that 2009 Bordeaux’s won’t age well. Buying something as an investment and having it be worth less than what you paid for it would suck. Besides wouldn’t the cost of years of storage negate most of the profit you would make if you actually made any?

ive been hearing 09 bordeaux’s are predicted to be one of the most coveted vintages in recent history. like since 82 even. but i can imagine some of that is inflated demand and/or an excuse to charge more since the supplies will be insanely more limited than previous years.

http://content.corkd.com/2010/06/29/2009-bordeaux-futures-pricing-is-set-now-what/

this article kind of gets into what ive been hearing. but most of my info comes word of mouth from restaurant industry people. if you have any credible online sources, please share. not just pertaining to this issue, but any wine news in general. ive been looking for some good websites if you have any.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

edit: it should be noted that im talking about first growth grande cru bordeauxs, which are almost always a blue chip investment anyway.

I like this, I wouldn’t mind starting a little collection.

check this place out:
http://www.domainewinestorage.com/

Google “Wine Storage Chicago” Looks like there are a LOT of collectors out there.

i’m a big fan of placing wickedly high taxes on canadian alcohol. just like i’m sure cyclists don’t have a problem with 13% HST, 14.7% excise and 10% road tax on canadian gasoline…

you have to declare your alcohol at customs and they tax you at 40% or so to recoup most of what the LCBO would get you for anyways… would you really bring the wine over a couple bottles at a time or just bring it back in hordes when you spend a few days over there and have the ability to bring back more without being taxed?

Probably in hordes when it was appropriate. And have friends do the same when possible. I don’t think it’d be that much of a logistical nightMare. Sometimes it’s just worth the risk. There’s a napa winery right now that isn’t selling in Canada that I’d like to get a couple cases from because I think it’s about to be a major cult bottle and the early vintages will be massively coveted once it gets some press.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Besides, if I took the risk for a bunch of four loko, I think I could do it for real stuff.

more info please.

if you live in the states and have an interest in wine, theres really no reason not to have a good cellar. the amount of quality stuff coming out of california and oregon is astonishing, and theres enough product that really decent stuff is still affordable domestically after asia gets their orders. i wish it were so in canada, but our affordable stuff is undrinkable and the producers who know how to put out a good product end up with their head so far up their asses that they think they can charge the same as european producers who have 200 years of history backing up their wines. what do you normally like to drink?

A good liquor, beer and wine inventory system can supply the data that will help you make the best purchases, at the best prices, at the best times from the best suppliers. This will let you to have better information of the inventory values of the various locations in your business along with the storage area. Wine storage software has proven to be beneficial for lots of hotels and restaurants I suggest other hotels also to use this kind of software to save money and time.